By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon and Zelda... a week apart? Will BOTW be overshadowed by the new Sony IP.

I will be playing...

Both Horizon: ZD and BOTW. 114 10.18%

Just Horizon. 290 25.89%

Just BOTW. 520 46.43%

I'm going to wait to see... 33 2.95%

BOTW first then Horizon. 120 10.71%

Horizon first then BOTW. 43 3.84%

Total:1,120
Nuvendil said:
KLAMarine said:

I feel bad for Guerilla Games: Killzone was pegged as a "Halo-killer" and now I hear Horizon getting similar treatment. These are some heavy expectations.

Who started this trend for Horizon? Was it threads like these? I recall another thread after last year's E3 comparing Horizon and BotW.

It was two things:

your typical fandoms stirring the pointless console wars pot.

Sony failing to highlight sufficiently in their trailers just how different Horizon was from Zelda or other open world games.

Cause I've been watching footage of Horizon and it's far more differentiated than the trailers and other footage Sony put out generally showed.  Which ultimately makes it more interesting to me. 

But yes, this happening to GG twice is kinda funny and sad really.  But it's not nearly as bad as KZ though. 

Hey, I loved Killzone. I acknowledge its flaws but there were so many little style and "gamey" things in it that I absolutely loved!

The only real complaint I can level against it was the sniper rifle was terribly implemented.

Game hasn't aged with me either: I can't aim with sticks anymore. Splatoon spoiled me so it's more me, not the game.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Nuvendil said:

It was two things:

your typical fandoms stirring the pointless console wars pot.

Sony failing to highlight sufficiently in their trailers just how different Horizon was from Zelda or other open world games.

Cause I've been watching footage of Horizon and it's far more differentiated than the trailers and other footage Sony put out generally showed.  Which ultimately makes it more interesting to me. 

But yes, this happening to GG twice is kinda funny and sad really.  But it's not nearly as bad as KZ though. 

Hey, I loved Killzone. I acknowledge its flaws but there were so many little style and "gamey" things in it that I absolutely loved!

The only real complaint I can level against it was the sniper rifle was terribly implemented.

Game hasn't aged with me either: I can't aim with sticks anymore. Splatoon spoiled me so it's more me, not the game.

I meant the situation wasn't as bad as KZ.  KZ was setup from announcement on as a Halo Killer, that narrative dominated its whole development and release.  Horizon has had that more or less humming in the background.

Nuvendil said:
KLAMarine said:

I meant the situation wasn't as bad as KZ.  KZ was setup from announcement on as a Halo Killer, that narrative dominated its whole development and release.  Horizon has had that more or less humming in the background.

Ah, I see. Threads like these helped get Horizon in this pickle.

KLAMarine said:
Nuvendil said:

Ah, I see. Threads like these helped get Horizon in this pickle.

Somewhat.  Some of it was just pure hapenstance though.  Like the fact that when Zelda's big re-reveal happened and all the footage came out, it just so happened that a lot of Horizon trailers and vids showed the game in action in ways that looked similar at times.  Basically bad luck on GG's part. 

But like I said, not nearly as big a public contest as KZ vs Halo.  Which is good, such a contest is unnecessary.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Yeah this thread looks even more silly now. No one is going to be talking Horizon after tomorrow. It's kind of like Titanfall 2 last year, a good game, launching a week before CoD and having all its hype killed. At least Horizon doesn't have to compete with Zelda on the same platform. Another difference is IW was trash while Zelda apparently might be the best game ever.

I don't think Horizon will lose any hype from Zelda just by the fact that they're on two different consoles. All the youths lap up games like Horizon with it's flashy graphics and 88 metacritic is nothing to look down upon. Also If Horizon sells well enough then it will still be talked about for some time. 

Around the Network

For me it's only a matter of which to get first. Zelda wins.

A new IP overshadowing an established franchise?

VERY UNLIKELY.

What's more feasible is Horizon being kicked out of the spotlight because of Zelda.

John2290 said:
Well I think I called it. GG and sony sending out the review copies early was a genius move and now that HZD is a great game and cemented in reviewers minds and soon to be in gamers minds, Zelda and Nintendo have a problem. I can't see BOTW getting anything higher than low 80's.

I trust this was tongue-in-cheek.

iron_megalith said:

A new IP overshadowing an established franchise?

VERY UNLIKELY.

What's more feasible is Horizon being kicked out of the spotlight because of Zelda.

That's what happened to me. I already was getting heavily invested in Horizon, played it until I went to the midnight launch to pick up Switch + Zelda. Played some more while downloading patches on the Switch and kinda forgot to check if it was done yet lol. Started Zelda at 2 am, haven't played Horizon since...

They're both awesome games, yet BotW is definitely more epic. Metacritic got it right this time, 88 vs 98, accurate imo. The freedom in Zelda beats Horizon. It's too early to compare the stories though, Horizon started off pretty intrigueing. I haven't even looked at the story in Zelda after 16 hours of play time. Superior exploration wins.

At least I know I have the perfect rebound game waiting for me when I exhaust Breath of the Wild.

John2290 said:
KLAMarine said:

I trust this was tongue-in-cheek.

No, it was true. I really thought that. ;(

Don't feel too bad about it... It's a silly little number.