By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon and Zelda... a week apart? Will BOTW be overshadowed by the new Sony IP.

I will be playing...

Both Horizon: ZD and BOTW. 114 10.18%

Just Horizon. 290 25.89%

Just BOTW. 520 46.43%

I'm going to wait to see... 33 2.95%

BOTW first then Horizon. 120 10.71%

Horizon first then BOTW. 43 3.84%

Total:1,120
mZuzek said:
KLAMarine said:

I was skeptical and I recall a thread making predictions as to how it would sell. Low estimates in that thread and I recall looking at the YouTube Splatoon E3 premiere video struggling to get to a million. Took it some months to reach a million views which I interpreted as a bad sign.

Now it sits at about 4 million and the Splatoon 2 video reached a million in a few days.

Yeah I remember seeing 250k predictions for it (lol). I used to think it would get around 1.5m.

Anyways, if anything I'm actually skeptical about the success of Splatoon 2. I doubt it'll sell any less than 3 or 4 million, but I wonder how much it can broaden up to a wider audience and really establish itself within the mainstream of gaming, because as of right now, most people outside of Nintendo fans and hardcore gamers don't really know about it.

...that, and we're getting off-topic too.

I'm really curious to see Splatoon 2's sales. Splatoon seems to have a very die hard huge fanbase, and I imagine every single person that owns splatoon will be getting a switch and consequently a Splatoon 2. I see the switch selling vastly superior to the Wii U, so there will be many more with the opportuinity to get Splatoon 2 than 1 and many that probably wanted to try out splatoon from what they heard.

Don't know what splatoon got in sales, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2 doubles that number.

Around the Network

I thhink horizon is really great game. But "Zelda Killer" is embarrassed.

Horizon is a great game but I can't help but lol at this thread now that reviews are out

Yeah this thread looks even more silly now. No one is going to be talking Horizon after tomorrow. It's kind of like Titanfall 2 last year, a good game, launching a week before CoD and having all its hype killed. At least Horizon doesn't have to compete with Zelda on the same platform. Another difference is IW was trash while Zelda apparently might be the best game ever.

Results are in and the answer is: hell no!

Around the Network

I hate to agree with the consensus, but I say that, fairly or unfairly, the game that belongs to a 30-year legacy franchise, has a male hero and a higher Metacritic score (we'll see if that's deserved), will definitely win in sales terms.

SpokenTruth said:
globalisateur said:

Well Edge also gave Skyward Sword a perfect 10/10 and that game was a very average Zelda and a boring game IMO. As far as I am concerned their opinion about any Zelda is worthless.

Zelda games are nowadays overrated by the professionnal critics IMO.

Horizon - 88 (93 reviews)
Zelda - 98 (56 reviews)

No Zelda review is under a 90 and 33 of 56 reviews are perfect scores.  But overrated, right?

I don't know about this Zelda, I was talking about Skyward sword and a bit about Wind Waker (which I loved but was very repetitive in the end).

I plan to play both games eventually.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I feel bad for Guerilla Games: Killzone was pegged as a "Halo-killer" and now I hear Horizon getting similar treatment. These are some heavy expectations.

Who started this trend for Horizon? Was it threads like these? I recall another thread after last year's E3 comparing Horizon and BotW.

it's looks like neither is going to overshadow the other in a major way, at least sales wise.

KLAMarine said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I feel bad for Guerilla Games: Killzone was pegged as a "Halo-killer" and now I hear Horizon getting similar treatment. These are some heavy expectations.

Who started this trend for Horizon? Was it threads like these? I recall another thread after last year's E3 comparing Horizon and BotW.

It was two things:

your typical fandoms stirring the pointless console wars pot.

Sony failing to highlight sufficiently in their trailers just how different Horizon was from Zelda or other open world games.

Cause I've been watching footage of Horizon and it's far more differentiated than the trailers and other footage Sony put out generally showed.  Which ultimately makes it more interesting to me. 

But yes, this happening to GG twice is kinda funny and sad really.  But it's not nearly as bad as KZ though.