By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon and Zelda... a week apart? Will BOTW be overshadowed by the new Sony IP.

I will be playing...

Both Horizon: ZD and BOTW. 114 10.18%

Just Horizon. 290 25.89%

Just BOTW. 520 46.43%

I'm going to wait to see... 33 2.95%

BOTW first then Horizon. 120 10.71%

Horizon first then BOTW. 43 3.84%

Total:1,120

Areym said:
Helloplite said:
Highly unlikely that Breath of the Wild will be overshadowed by Horizon Zero Dawn. To begin with, it appears that Horizon has little more beyond excellent visuals and an assortment of cool but underused ideas. Gameplay wise, the game is lacking, and game design wise it is lacking even more. Even if Breath of the Wild completely fails to stand up to older Zelda games, it still have a great chance of outshining Horizon.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-the-good-the-bad-the-boring

That's one review out of 60+. The game isn't reinventing the wheel, it's just doing all these established ideas well. It's not perfect, of course. Not sure how it is lacking gameplay wise when it has different weaponry, arrows, traps and other mechanics (like hacking and focus) and a decent variety of small to colossus enemies to fight. I'd say Zelda could suffer from the same type of problems that Horizon seems to suffer from. As far as I can tell, this is the first true open world or like survival style game for the Zelda genre. Unless Nintendo is doing something completely brand new, it will be more of the same with a coat of Zelda on it. That doesn't immediately mean it will be bad, if all the mechanics come together well, it matters very little if the ideas aren't revolutionary.

It's hard to say without playing it though. I don't think that Horizon will outshine Zelda however, Zelda is just Zelda. Like you said, it would have to be Nintendo dropping the ball through rushed work, rough performance on Switch, badly implemented open-world mechanics, etc. Neither game will affect the other sales at least.

The problem is those mechanics (hacking and traps) are either bad or underutilized it seems.

He says the hacking is just flat out bad and not helpful at all. You basically just hack a dinasaur who then sits tehre doing nothing.

As for traps, they are great and amazing, yet you get like only a couple chances to do them. Most of the time you are basically ambushed and thus can't use those mechanics.

Around the Network

Nothing game wise can overshadow a new Zelda

irstupid said:

Areym said:

That's one review out of 60+. The game isn't reinventing the wheel, it's just doing all these established ideas well. It's not perfect, of course. Not sure how it is lacking gameplay wise when it has different weaponry, arrows, traps and other mechanics (like hacking and focus) and a decent variety of small to colossus enemies to fight. I'd say Zelda could suffer from the same type of problems that Horizon seems to suffer from. As far as I can tell, this is the first true open world or like survival style game for the Zelda genre. Unless Nintendo is doing something completely brand new, it will be more of the same with a coat of Zelda on it. That doesn't immediately mean it will be bad, if all the mechanics come together well, it matters very little if the ideas aren't revolutionary.

It's hard to say without playing it though. I don't think that Horizon will outshine Zelda however, Zelda is just Zelda. Like you said, it would have to be Nintendo dropping the ball through rushed work, rough performance on Switch, badly implemented open-world mechanics, etc. Neither game will affect the other sales at least.

The problem is those mechanics (hacking and traps) are either bad or underutilized it seems.

He says the hacking is just flat out bad and not helpful at all. You basically just hack a dinasaur who then sits tehre doing nothing.

As for traps, they are great and amazing, yet you get like only a couple chances to do them. Most of the time you are basically ambushed and thus can't use those mechanics.

Yeah, I should have read it in full first and not just skimmed it. He raised valid points that other reviewers also brought up. I think calling them "useless" is a bit much but it seems that there was certainly some missteps implementing these properly. It's a shame since both hacking and trapping provides more varied gameplay that simply changing arrows and whatnot. It seems like they were ideas put in towards the end, once the maps layout and enemy AI was finished.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Well, I had a preorder for Zero Dawn and when I realized that BOTW was going to be released a week after I canceled it, Zero Dawn looks AMAZING but I'm getting a Switch and well BOTW is 1st on my priority list. When I finish BOTW I'll buy Zero Dawn.

BraLoD said:
Dulfite said:
Nothing game wise can overshadow a new Zelda

Score wise, yeah, it's pretty hard, Zelda is one of the most consistent reviewed games out there, a Naughty Dog or Rockstar game could, as they already did, though, sales wise as well, but some other games could jump on that as well.

I'm not even talking about rating or sales lol. I'm talking about the fact that when a Zelda game comes out, anyone who loves Zelda is going to go crazy and won't be impacted at all by another game coming out, let alone one exclusive to a rival. This won't impact zelda at all.

Around the Network

If Zelda was releasing on PS4. Or if Horizon was releasing on the Switch. Zelda is the biggest game from all the Switch launch games. So no.

I preordered Horizon. I'll play Zelda later as I'm not planning on getting a switch at launch but will most likely get one by end of the year.

My 8th gen collection

Horizon is averaging 9s from the top gaming sites. I would suggest the Nintendo fanatics hold their tongues. Besides, mass effect drops later on in the month after the switch releases.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Horizon is averaging 9s from the top gaming sites. I would suggest the Nintendo fanatics hold their tongues. Besides, mass effect drops later on in the month after the switch releases.

Completely forgot about that. I think it's Mass Effect that will be overshadowed by everything else.

Both games will do great, but if either of them has a chance of being "overshadowed" it is Horizon. The hype for Zelda is much higher than Horizon overall, and Zelda is a legendary franchise to boot.

Horizon is a new IP, and while it looks great, it won't even put a dent in BotW lifetime sales. BotW will sell well out of the gate and have legs. Horizon will sell well out of the gate and HOPEFULLY have legs.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261