By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon and Zelda... a week apart? Will BOTW be overshadowed by the new Sony IP.

I will be playing...

Both Horizon: ZD and BOTW. 114 10.18%

Just Horizon. 290 25.89%

Just BOTW. 520 46.43%

I'm going to wait to see... 33 2.95%

BOTW first then Horizon. 120 10.71%

Horizon first then BOTW. 43 3.84%

Total:1,120

Personally I do not think so.

I do believe that Horizon will do well; well enough hopefully to spawn a trilogy out of.

To trade blows against a storied franchise like Zelda is a mighty tall task for a new IP like Horizon. Add the fact that Breath Of The Wild is a launch title and it will be extremely unlikely that Horizon outsells Breath of The Wild.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Around the Network

So Breath of the Wild on the Switch is #3 on Amazon (first game) and #18 on the Wii U while Horizon is only #25. So much for overshadowing.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Since the reviews are out. Lets see how it goes after the next few days.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I will only play Zelda because I hate action games but I want to congratulate Horizon developers for the extremely good reviews which in my opinion will be much better than what Zelda is going to get.

Zelda just will not be able to compete at all, given the fact that it is so many years behind in every aspect, especially graphics, storytelling, quests and gameplay. Skyrim is a very old game and as a Skyrim clone in 2017, Zelda will get some very bad reviews from the same people that praised Horizon so highly.

Highly unlikely that Breath of the Wild will be overshadowed by Horizon Zero Dawn. To begin with, it appears that Horizon has little more beyond excellent visuals and an assortment of cool but underused ideas. Gameplay wise, the game is lacking, and game design wise it is lacking even more. Even if Breath of the Wild completely fails to stand up to older Zelda games, it still have a great chance of outshining Horizon.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-the-good-the-bad-the-boring

Around the Network

Haha wow. I like going back to these old threads. Can't wait to see that go down in the next 2 weeks.

Helloplite said:
Highly unlikely that Breath of the Wild will be overshadowed by Horizon Zero Dawn. To begin with, it appears that Horizon has little more beyond excellent visuals and an assortment of cool but underused ideas. Gameplay wise, the game is lacking, and game design wise it is lacking even more. Even if Breath of the Wild completely fails to stand up to older Zelda games, it still have a great chance of outshining Horizon.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-the-good-the-bad-the-boring

That's one review out of 60+. The game isn't reinventing the wheel, it's just doing all these established ideas well. It's not perfect, of course. Not sure how it is lacking gameplay wise when it has different weaponry, arrows, traps and other mechanics (like hacking and focus) and a decent variety of small to colossus enemies to fight. I'd say Zelda could suffer from the same type of problems that Horizon seems to suffer from. As far as I can tell, this is the first true open world or like survival style game for the Zelda genre. Unless Nintendo is doing something completely brand new, it will be more of the same with a coat of Zelda on it. That doesn't immediately mean it will be bad, if all the mechanics come together well, it matters very little if the ideas aren't revolutionary.

It's hard to say without playing it though. I don't think that Horizon will outshine Zelda however, Zelda is just Zelda. Like you said, it would have to be Nintendo dropping the ball through rushed work, rough performance on Switch, badly implemented open-world mechanics, etc. Neither game will affect the other sales at least.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
Helloplite said:

That's one review out of 60+. The game isn't reinventing the wheel, it's just doing all these established ideas well. It's not perfect, of course. Not sure how it is lacking gameplay wise when it has different weaponry, arrows, traps and other mechanics (like hacking and focus) and a decent variety of small to colossus enemies to fight. I'd say Zelda could suffer from the same type of problems that Horizon seems to suffer from. As far as I can tell, this is the first true open world or like survival style game for the Zelda genre. Unless Nintendo is doing something completely brand new, it will be more of the same with a coat of Zelda on it. That doesn't immediately mean it will be bad, if all the mechanics come together well, it matters very little if the ideas aren't revolutionary.

It's hard to say without playing it though. I don't think that Horizon will outshine Zelda however, Zelda is just Zelda. Like you said, it would have to be Nintendo dropping the ball through rushed work, rough performance on Switch, badly implemented open-world mechanics, etc. Neither game will affect the other sales at least.

It is not a review, it is an article articulating why its gameplay is very shallow -- impacted by AI, game design, and the inclusion of gameplay features that are unlikely to be useful to the player -- in other words the game's features do not appear integral to the game's design. These issues are fundamental, and while Zelda may also be guilty of them we simply do not know yet. To me, knowing that many skills in the game are useless, or broken by game and level design itself, is a major flaw. Zelda also has its own common issues (e.g. the increased redundancy of acquired dungeon items outside said dungeon) for the most part the game/level/item design is flawless and integral to the gameplay itself. Doesn't seem that Horizon can stand up to this.

Helloplite said:
Areym said:

It is not a review, it is an article articulating why its gameplay is very shallow -- impacted by AI, game design, and the inclusion of gameplay features that are unlikely to be useful to the player -- in other words the game's features do not appear integral to the game's design. These issues are fundamental, and while Zelda may also be guilty of them we simply do not know yet. To me, knowing that many skills in the game are useless, or broken by game and level design itself, is a major flaw. Zelda also has its own common issues (e.g. the increased redundancy of acquired dungeon items outside said dungeon) for the most part the game/level/item design is flawless and integral to the gameplay itself. Doesn't seem that Horizon can stand up to this.

At least we know from various gameplay videos that the new Zelda implements quite well its new mechanics. AI looks flawless too, with special teams dedicated to animals and enemies AI. So we do have an insight on what BotW does right that Horizon maybe didn't.

Helloplite said:
Areym said:

Ah my bad, I skimmed through it, I thought it was one of those scoreless reviews. I just read it through and it is making valid points. Some other reviews complained about the trap system and luring being frustrating and other tools like the tripwire-thingy feeling clunky, as well as AI on the machines being hit or miss. They are unfortunate but if this does turn into a franchise, we can see some one these issues fixed. Still, it comes off as smaller issues rather than very meaningful faults with the game, with perphaps your mention of "useless" or "broken" skills being the biggest misstep although I think useless and broken might be a bit of an exageration, otherwise every single reviewer would be on that. Then again, maybe some reviewers didn't pick those specific skills so it flew pass them. I don't know, I just wanna try the damn game for myself.

I'm really interested how BotW will perform overall, Nintendo is almost always guaranteed quality but Switch is still so new, I wonder how much potential they can squeeze out of it so early and with an IP as big as Zelda.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian