By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon and Zelda... a week apart? Will BOTW be overshadowed by the new Sony IP.

I will be playing...

Both Horizon: ZD and BOTW. 114 10.18%

Just Horizon. 290 25.89%

Just BOTW. 520 46.43%

I'm going to wait to see... 33 2.95%

BOTW first then Horizon. 120 10.71%

Horizon first then BOTW. 43 3.84%

Total:1,120

I am honestly more worried about horizon than I will ever be about Zelda.

What we have seen about Horizon looks great no doubt, but I can't shake the feeling that it will suffer from a lot of untapped potential instances that seems to plague most AAA games today.

It has a great combat system and overall theme, but will it have dungeons, environmental puzzles, a well thought story? Or will it just be an open world robo dino simulator littered with tons of fetch and collection quests and glorified hunts.

I don't think ones performance will affect the other though, being that they are both exclusives to their respective platforms and the best game anyone of those platforms can get within a week of eachother this year. So both will sell well.

Around the Network
John2290 said:

Whoa...53 million...3 million more in the final month and first two weeks of 2016. My god, the console is effing astounding. It may even get the 125m point, half way from PS1 sales to ps2 sales...damn. By any chance do you know how PS2 was doing around this time in its life cycle?

The PS4 is currently ahead of the PS2 by around 1.5/2M if launch alligned. Over the course of the year though the PS2 will pull ahead because it was selling more every month on average than what the PS4 will likely sell these coming months unless sony gets aggressive with pricing.

Speaking of aggressive and a little fun fact, at this time in the PS2s life its price had been cut by 40% of its original price (from $300 to $179) so the PS4 is actually following the same price path of the PS2 (albeit relatively). The PS4 needs to be at $240 to have seen the same kinda price drop that would allow it match the PS2s pricing path. 

New ip on a successful format with a huge range of games available vs a new game in an established long running ip on a failed format and new format both with a limited number of competing games of similar quality and a very small install base.

Horizon on a technical level blows Zelda away even on the standard ps4 and with a 4k version on pro it goes beyond that.

In playability terms it is unlikely to beat Zelda.

Zelda is a non event if you don't have a wii u and don't intend to buy a Switch and Horizon isn't on your radar if you don't have a ps4 and don't intend to buy one.

It's only really if you have a choice and own both ps4 and wii u or you own ps4 and intend to buy a switch.

I have both ps4 and wii u and have pre-ordered Zelda for my wii u and will probably wait until Horizon is heavily discounted or even free with psn plus. This isn't my favourite genre but do have a strong nostalgic feeling for Zelda as have enjoyed the games so much in the past, plus Nintendo games don't do the heavy discounting of ps4 games so buying Zelda might actually be profitable if a few years later it becomes collectible. Also the novelty of actually buying a game for my wii u nowadays, I'm not exactly spoilt for choice. Nice to dust off the gamepad.

I'm old enough and seen enough of gaming to know new IP's take time to get established even if they have great reviews sometimes the sales figures are actually quite low. Sony does incredible value, so many amazing games for so little money and if you can wait sometimes only a few weeks or a few months the price can be a tiny fraction of the release price. This is certainly true of games that don't do great sales figures on release typically new IPs are included in that.

Also Zelda may be a pack-in title for Switch later.

John2290 said:
asqarkabab said:

Im fine 

I think something is wrong with you 

To not accept my opinions 

I think he was taking the piss, lad. Lol. Witch your sentences being paragrapghs. No need to take offence. 

Yeah lol

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Tagging this for a later read. I'm buying both. I (purposely) don't know enough about Horizon aside from the fact that it looks beautiful but this is Zelda we're talking about. For fans, a new Zelda is "call in sick to work" Star Wars level anticipation.

Let the new IP prove itself worthy of challenging one of the most acclaimed franchises EVER.

Around the Network

If there is one game out of those two that will be overshadowed it will be Horizon.
A new Zelda will be getting media attention from all over the world. No doubt.
Horizon is just another open world rpg on a console overflowing with those type of games.

BeatdownBrigade said:
Azzanation said:

Haha whats Horizon? Who's GG? Thats what customers will be saying when there choosing between the two.

Not even the best IPs from Sony or MS can overshadow Zelda. 

Not entirely true. Series like Uncharted from Sony and Halo from Microsoft overshadow Zelda.

Best selling Zelda game of all-time was Twilight Princess, releasing on two consoles (Gamecube and Wii) and it only sold 8.6 million in the 11 years its been on the market. Uncharted 4 sold 8.8 million in its first 7 months. Hell Uncharted 3 released around the same time as Skyward Sword which sold 3.6 million all-time on a console with a 100m install base. Uncharted 3 sold more than that in DAY 1, and went on to sell 6.7 million on a console with less than 3/4th the install base.

And it goes without saying that Halo has sales records the likes of 8, 12, 9.75, and 10 million copies for various entries.

I love me some Zelda and grew up on it. OuT is in my top 3 games of all-time. But there are plenty of franchises with far more consumer appeal. Hell a game like Last of Us being a new IP outsold all but Twilight Princess and thats a library consistening of over 20 games between consoles and handhelds. Other games like Gran Turismo and others have healthly outsold Zelda consistently. GT specifically having sales records like 9.3, 11.75, 12, and 15 million for various entries.

I was typing out a response to you and remembered you weren't the one who made the 2x prediction.  I'll just add to your argument that Zelda isn't the franchise that makes sense for his argument.  Mario would make more sense and even that game isn't universally over Sony and Microsoft's best.  The only game that really beats anything Microsoft or Sony puts out from Nintendo is Pokemon.

In europe Horizon is releases Mars 1st and Zelda Mars 3rd

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

If you say so mate. Also remember that Uncharted and Halo both get heavily bundled and both receive many discounts throughout there life span. Zelda is an event and you would understand how good it really is if you were around playing the original games. Sure they sell well however Zelda is the game to beat when it’s released in that year. Not Halo, not Uncharted and definitely not some new IP nobody knows about especially from a Dev that has a lot to prove compared to Zelda which is being made by the best in the industry. Im not even a Nintendo fan in fact im a massive Halo fan yet i give credit to where it’s due. Sales these days are incredibly misleading to a games quality. Every main line Zelda game has delivered on being a masterpiece and Nintendo (Unlike MS or Sony) don’t like playing it safe by recycling the same game just for sequels, instead they deliver on creating newer experiences and they have all been successful.

Do yourself a favour and find out how many UC4 copies actually sold in store and how many were giveaways through bundles. I can tell you right now that there was very little bundle choices where I am from which didn’t include UC4 + 2 other games. It was sitting on 4.5m before the heavy bundle period. Interesting stuff. Halo also falls in the same category except maybe not as bad as UC4 however it was still bundled with the more expensive XB1 deals. You see you go off sales which never tell the full story. I can tell you right now out of the 3 games, UC4 will make the littlest profit which actually sold the most units compared to Halo which actually made a fortune at launch due to hardware, Micro transactions and merchandise, while Zelda will sell a solid number of units without the fake giveaways.. Unless Nintendo is desperate and need to give the game away just so fanboys can claim "This game sold better" attitude 

I bet Zelda will earn more money to Nintendo than what UC4 did for Sony mainly due to the fact Sony spent a small fortune to create UC4 and they basically giving the game away for free and have advertised it pretty well which isn’t cheap. Zelda won’t have much advertisements and probably cost Nintendo a lot less to make and knowing Nintendo they won’t give it away for free.

To me, Zelda overthrows any game Sony or MS make because there are no work arounds. No giveaways, just a game that will sell well and make Nintendo money unlike the other two which will force it in your library. If you want to go off sales sure, i still think Zelda will outsell Horizon however im talking about the bigger picture not just sales because again sales never tell the full story.

Seriously... Who are you trying to convince when you say you are not a Nintendo fan?

And please give us the amount of money that was spent to produce Uncharted 4, Halo 5 and Zelda Breath of the Wild respectively.

Thank you in advance.

And btw, you're assuming quite a lot of things and pass them as facts, but none of it is grounded or supported by anything and all it says is "I like it better so I have convinced myself that it does better". 

I am late to the party but you are right he mae A LOT of assumptions with no numbers or basis at all wow. Then asked a random question about how many copies of UC4 were sold without the bundle....even though he basically answered it and siad it was at 4.5mil BEFORE the heavy bundling and is at 8.7mil or so now so it stands to reason that more people bough the actual game rather than the bundle.....even though the bundle did help to really increase sales but gheesh that post as you said had a LOT of assumptions...

OT:

I think both will review and sale great and won't hinder the sales of one another at all.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Well, I want to play both. Do not have a ps4 right now, so choice is easy.

But just putting it out there that if I did have a ps4, I would not buy Horizon on release date. Not a college kid anymore, gaming time is limited. So I would wait the week for Zelda and play that. By the time I got done playing Zelda, I would then pick up Horizon in the discount bin and play that.

Even if Zelda wasn't my favorite franchise, that scenario would make more sense to me. I can guarantee that Horizon will be like half price in a few months or sooner. (all triple games are) I can not guarantee that Zelda will be (Nintendo games never seem to discount)

So, seeing how both are seemingly 50+ hour games. To those that are going to have one sitting on their backlog while they play the other. Consider getting Zelda first and thus save money by purchasing Horizon at discount.