By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ProJared's impressions on Switch

pokoko said:
The screen does look really nice and it seems very nice as a handheld. I loved the Vita as a piece of hardware and this seems in line with that in a lot of ways.

He also reinforced my belief that a Pro controller is a necessity.

Interesting that he really liked Snipperclips, whatever that is.

Not sure someone should be posting a video and then telling people they can only talk about the positive stuff, though.

I'm not sure about that yet.

I'm interested in how playing feels with just the joycons without the joycon holder. It might be pretty neat. Also I'm a bit burned considering the Pro controller of the Wii U is piece of shit compared to the gamepad.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
m_csquare said:

What i wrote is his conclusion. Maybe watch the video til the end?

Yeah I know that, but he also said the JoyCons feel very good, the dislay is amazing, the games are cool, ARMS is very fun, etc.

It could even make a great coffee, that wouldn't change a thing. Of course there are some good points, but it doesn't magically erase all the huge errors made by Nintendo, especially price, online and games. It's nice to say "yeah but the controllers are good", but if the console is too expensive and without games, it won't sell anyway. 

The $600 PS3 also had very positive points, you know. The Wii U did too. Even the original Xbox One politics did. It doesn't change that all these examples led to failure because of issues far bigger than their good points. And almost everyone criticizing the Switch knows that: the Switch has some good points, but so much big issues on the main subjects that these good points are irrelevant, majority of the players won't be even able to experience these positive sides because of the negative ones. 

Focusing on the positive points is what Nintendo has been doing for years, and is just as bad and even worse than focusing only on the issues. 

Faelco said:
GoOnKid said:

Yeah I know that, but he also said the JoyCons feel very good, the dislay is amazing, the games are cool, ARMS is very fun, etc.

It could even make a great coffee, that wouldn't change a thing. Of course there are some good points, but it doesn't magically erase all the huge errors made by Nintendo, especially price, online and games. It's nice to say "yeah but the controllers are good", but if the console is too expensive and without games, it won't sell anyway. 

The $600 PS3 also had very positive points, you know. The Wii U did too. Even the original Xbox One politics did. It doesn't change that all these examples led to failure because of issues far bigger than their good points. And almost everyone criticizing the Switch knows that: the Switch has some good points, but so much big issues on the main subjects that these good points are irrelevant, majority of the players won't be even able to experience these positive sides because of the negative ones. 

Focusing on the positive points is what Nintendo has been doing for years, and is just as bad and even worse than focusing only on the issues. 

Every products has goods and bads, this goes for a good selling product like the PS4 as much as it goes for the Switch which has yet to show how succesful it will be. No doubt about that.

The price is high, even I admit that, but it could drop a bit sooner or later or maybe they release some bundles somewhere down the year, who knows? We don't know how much and which games it will get in the future since there are still many unannounced. We can only wait and see. And we already know that at least Gamestop has no trouble selling 500k units only by preorders. So saying it won't sell due to price and lacking games is a bit too soon.

What I don't understand is why some people make such a fuzz about a system they don't even like and have to smear that opinion everywhere. If someone has issues with this, then just don't buy it ffs. And if these people can smear their opinion everywhere, so can I, and here we have this thread.

I think it might be a discussion of being optimistic or pessimistic. Some people decide to buy stuff on how much the good things will work out, and some decide on how much the bad things will negatively impact them. There surely is not the one true answer to this. It's a matter of preference, as much as it's a matter of preference to like or dislike motion controls, portability and functionality.

GoOnKid said:

What I don't understand is why some people make such a fuzz about a system they don't even like and have to smear that opinion everywhere. If someone has issues with this, then just don't buy it ffs. And if these people can smear their opinion everywhere, so can I, and here we have this thread.

We are on a gaming forum, people talk about what they like and dislike, even on gaming platforms they don't or won't own.

And honestly, the forum has been so full of mostly useless NX/Switch threads for a year and a half, to the point of being unusable if you weren't interested in the console, that I think it's a great lesson to see "Ow, all of this... for this?". We complained about the "hype" going way overboard (let's call it what it is, some people went completely crazy) and Nintendo fans laughed saying "it's normal, we're on a gaming forum, we talk about what matters". You're complaining about 4-5 days of negativity, we endured more than a year of unchecked, baseless and really noisy hype. 

The wake up call at the conference has been really hard for some people (and it's a good thing IMO), and the tone on the forums drastically changed, switching from overboard hype to discussions about the console's huge issues. But yeah, we talk about what matters. 

Acevil said:
Honestly most of the people hands on experience has been positive.

Yup, that's what I've been seeing,  also the reception of ARMS has been very good too.

Around the Network

It's not that reports have been negative in a "this sucks!" kinda of way, they're more I would say ... luke warm ... maybe a little warmer than that?

Digital Foundry and Game Xplain didn't like certain things about it but overall felt like it was a really cool portable, even here the guy says he doesn't recommend getting it at launch because there's not enough content.

So basically we have another reviewer who likes the product, believes it is good, but thinks it will be more worthwhile to purchase during the summer or winter.

I guess Nintendo thought this out. Have the people really interested get it early, introduce Mario Kart, Splatoon, and other games to bring out more consumers, and then get it going from there. I see a bundle of a big game plus the switch for 299 occurring this Holiday season to make it even crazier.

I don't really care for ProJared, but the fact is, when you're Nintendo, and you shit the bed with Wii U badly, and you really need to re-earn fan and general consumer trust, and claw your way back into a bigger market share, $300 for your new system, at launch, with zero pack in game, expensive accessories, and forcing people to pay for online? That really isn't the way to go. If anything, taking a "hit" with a $250 launch point, perhaps having a limited time deal where people get their choice of a launch title when they buy the system, AND pointing to the fact that they're the only system that still has free online play, THOSE are things that could help Switch be a more immediate success.

the guy litterally starts by saying that the system is the most "normal" system Nintendo has released has released since the gamecube.

Right there, wrong. From the very beginning, that's kind of amazing...

How can you think that the switch is more in line with the Gamecube than the Wii/DS/3DS/WiiU?

I'm not watching the rest of it. And by the way, A lot of people who tried it, are criticizing it. Yes they also like stuff about it, I also like stuff about the Switch, but not everybody is perfectly happy with it.

Starting with Digital foundry saying that as a home console it's a really poor offering.

I believe this to be a much more in depth analysis of the Switch presentation

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’