By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Real Talk, Can ARMS become the The Next Big Thing for Nintendo? Both Casual and Competitive (Like SSB/Splatoon Big?)

I mean by casual like how splatoon became a huge hit. Of course if this was the case it would have to obviously more western than japan (opposite of splatoon)

But more my topic is the competitive scene? Can this game dominate Esports? Do we have the next big fighting franchise?

Your thoughts overall?

Also this would be the first motion control competitive esport if im not mistaken?

Around the Network

Impossible to say without playing but it looks good.

From impressions what I've heard is a lot of people liked it while some people said it got boring after a few minutes, so I don't know.

Even if it is a great game, lets also be realistic here, it doesn't means it's going to be "huge". Lots of good games just have decent (or little) success, that stuff is largely where the market is at and how they accept a product and that's pretty hard to know.

I don't think this game will become an eSport if that's what you're asking.

I highly doubt it.

All I know is that all the world's Dhalsim players finally feel vindicated.

Around the Network

I highly doubt it will become an e-sport. Arms being sucessful depends on how well Nintendo sold the thing. Splatoon was sucessful because of the accesibility of the game, because it was a twist in a popular genre, and because it was really well marketed. I think Arms has potential too. But only time will tell us.

spemanig said:
I don't think this game will become an eSport if that's what you're asking.

Im willing to go as far as i did with splatoon with this. Maybe i should go Bold and make that prediction lol. (Not sales but competitive)

miz1q2w3e said:
I highly doubt it.

Which both? Sales and Competitive

eSports involve not doing anything to do with actual sports - movement included. So No on that front.

If it was bundled ARMS could be pretty huge, but it's not.

Volterra_90 said:
I highly doubt it will become an e-sport. Arms being sucessful depends on how well Nintendo sold the thing. Splatoon was sucessful because of the accesibility of the game, because it was a twist in a popular genre, and because it was really well marketed. I think Arms has potential too. But only time will tell us.

Well Arms in the fighting genre isnt a radical change like splatoon did to shooters but i do think arms (because of motion controls and from what im seeing in gameplay) has enough change that it could be a big competitive thing on its own. 

We do need to see more however. If nintendo can push the game i can see it

Probably not. Splatoon had a really cool new mechanic, and arguably ARMS has something pretty unique going for it too mechanically.

But Splatoon also has the customisation and gear system, weird, funky music,a pair of memorable characters, the social plaza section, a campaign mode with a bit of lore, Splat Fests etc.

As it stands, unless I've missed out on some info, ARMS doesn't currently have any of those extra features that gives the game a rounded, memorable, special feel, if you know what I mean. Doesn't mean it won't have it, as they will likely tell us about new features before launch, but I don't see it having the same level of success.