By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Real Talk, Can ARMS become the The Next Big Thing for Nintendo? Both Casual and Competitive (Like SSB/Splatoon Big?)

Einsam_Delphin said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Splatoon had one multi-player map, one weapon and no single-player campaign when it got announced. And Arms releases in Spring 2017 which could mean May or June (5-6 months). It will most likely be May as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe releases in April. 

The Nintendo rep said he had played this game for months already which means that the demo isn't exactly the latest build of the game either... 

Fine I'll rephrase, 3-4 months (June is summer). My points still remain the same.

Also you might want to rewatch the Splatoon reveal trailer as it definitely showed more content than that and was a pretty accurate representation of the core gameplay for a game that wouldn't release for another year.

Unless they blatantly lie then every reveal trailer is a pretty accurate representation of the core gameplay of a game. I don't really get that argument, sorry. And Arms has something Splatoon doesn't do: local splitscreen multiplayer. And yes, this is a very big deal to me. And no, I'm not counting the lame multiplayer Splatoon did include, I never even played that. You should have been able to go online with a local friend like you can in Mario Kart 8. Hopefully Arms has a single-player campaign and a back-story for all the characters. If it does, then I don't see why Arms should have less content than Splatoon. And Splatoon didn't launch with much if I might add. 

Mike321 said:
It has potential to be a good new ip, it definitely didn't give the best first impression so I hope nintendo does a good job promoting it in the future.

I think the problem was that they showed it right after 1-2 Switch which is your typical shallow party game Nintendo likes to develop for launch-periods (like Wii Sports and Nintendoland before it). They even grouped the two together because they both use the joycons in a unique way. 

Aerys said:
Lol no, its à mini game very limiteda

So you have played the finished game already?

SegataSanshiro said:

The game is basically Virtual On from SEGA so yes.

VO is a Twin stick fighting series and Arms is a twin stick fighting game. Both Arena fighters that you have to aim as a shooter for long range attacks. You can do close range but most the game is not.  Arms is a stripped down version and looks very good.

Cool, I was wondering if Arms was the first fighter where you controlled each arm individually, I guess not. Thanks to the new technology Arms puts a neat twist on it though. Splatoon also looked like a game Sega would have developped for the Dreamcast. Nintendo making better Sega games than Sega themselves lol. 

vivster said:
The characters aren't really iconic enough to achieve widespread appeal.

We have only seen 5 characters and I disagree anyway, the character design is quite great and imo better than the inklings from Splatoon. I'm not saying it will be as succesfull (shooters are more popular than fighter games after all), but let's wait before they unveiled the full cast before we say stuff like this. I really like the design of Master Mummy and Ninjaru. Spring Man also looks decent the more I look at him, his hair is cool. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:

vivster said:
The characters aren't really iconic enough to achieve widespread appeal.

We have only seen 5 characters and I disagree anyway, the character design is quite great and imo better than the inklings from Splatoon. I'm not saying it will be as succesfull (shooters are more popular than fighter games after all), but let's wait before they unveiled the full cast before we say stuff like this. I really like the design of Master Mummy and Ninjaru. Spring Man also looks decent the more I look at him, his hair is cool. 

So you're saying they used the clever marketing tactic of hiding the most interesting thing? Character design isn't everything. What you need is an interesting world and backstories for the Characters. Look at Overwatch.

So far all we know is some dudes with weird arms standing in tiny arenas fighting over.... nothing. I kinda doubt Nintendo has put more thought into it than that.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Doesnt look really fun to watch. If only it's a lil bit faster and more chaotic

I don't see it. Most of the games look too weird.

vivster said:
Alkibiádēs said:

So you're saying they used the clever marketing tactic of hiding the most interesting thing? Character design isn't everything. What you need is an interesting world and backstories for the Characters. Look at Overwatch.

So far all we know is some dudes with weird arms standing in tiny arenas fighting over.... nothing. I kinda doubt Nintendo has put more thought into it than that.

Splatoon had no single-player campaign or story either when it was first announced. There's a stage inside a creepy lab where we see fluid-filled tubes with people in it. Perhaps the fighters were developed inside these tubes. Of course Nintendo has put more thought into it.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

Definitely can be a hit like Splatoon.

Alkibiádēs said:
vivster said:

Splatoon had no single-player campaign or story either when it was first announced. There's a stage inside a creepy lab where we see fluid-filled tubes with people in it. Perhaps the fighters were developed inside these tubes. Of course Nintendo has put more thought into it.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, we didn't know about much about Splatoon aside from base gameplay details until the Splatoon direct a month before release.  With ARMS, this is the first look at the game with around 4-5 months left before it's out and from what I've seen, Nintendo typically likes to show some base gameplay footage first and then slowly trickle bits of information out to maintain interest in the following months, culminating with a direct that explains everything close to release.  Also, right now any info on the game would probably be overshadowed by BotW, Mario, Splatoon 2 and other things concerning the Switch.

I don't think so. Unless Nintendo held a lot of it back with the reveal, which to be honest is a serious possibility considering the Nintendo of today, there doesn't really seem to be much to it. Splatoon being a shooter makes it more accessible and it seemed fresher, because Arms as an idea kind of looks like it could have been made in 2006. It'll be better than 1,2,Switch though that's for sure.

Speaking of Arms, the name, it's probably the most generic name I've ever heard. That's also not going to help it, because how would it grab my attention and what would I expect, if I'm unknowing, from a game called "Arms"? Doesn't everything have arms? Except worms, though the worms in Worms do...

It's possible.

I would think that a lot of developers are rather hoping it doesn't. The last thing they want is for yet another waggle fuelled consumer base who buy the console for this alone and don't continue supporting the console for other types of games. It would be the Wii all over again and as much as people love to quote the hardware figures, it wasn't exactly the most lucrative hardware when it came to 'traditional' third party experiences.

The PS5 Exists.