By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Developer Details Platform

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/16/syrenne-mcnulty-a-nintendo-switch-developer-shares-further-details/

On Joy-Con’s

• Lots of tech
  • HD rumble is the real deal. The bottom of the joycon will vibrate if an ice-cube hits the bottom of the glass. And a full glass of ice cubes will make the top of the joycon rumble. Like the joycon becomes the glass. Basically the rumble can vibrate at different intensities but also at different locations instead of being one giant motor.
  • IR pointer is great. It would be difficult to make Wii BC games work with it but not impossible.
  • Comfortable to hold while separated and joined together. It doesn’t look ergonomic but they fit in hands naturally.
  • Motion tech is on par with Oculus Touch and Vive controllers. Very accurate. Way better than Wii motion plus and PS Move controllers.
  • it detects subtle movements.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller 

• Has everything the Joycon have including HD rumble and motion controls.
  • No IR pointer.
  • D-pad is iconic Nintendo dpad.
  • Very comfortable
  • [s]Digital triggers[/s]
  • Battery life is great but not 80 hours like the Wii U pro. Happy with battery life.

Developing for Nintendo Switch

• Very happy with it
  • Easy to develop for
  • Anything she wants to do she can. No limits. Toolset is great.
  • Can’t talk specs.

My Nintendo and Virtual Console

• MyNintendo tracks all your 3DS and Wii U purchases. Not your Wii ones.

• Her theory on VC is if you bought a VC game on 3DS or Wii U you’ll pay an upgrade fee like you did ON Wii U. However, if you bought the same VC game on both Wii U and 3DS you’ll get the Switch VC game for free. If you only bought it on Wii VC you’re SOL.

Online subscription

• The free game a month is exactly like PS+. As long as you download within that free month it’s yours to keep as long as you’re subscribed.
  • The free download a month is chosen by Nintendo because if they offered all VC games with online the player base would be split and you’d never find enough people for a match. Whereas with this method, everyone who’s downloading the game is part of the same player pool.

The Wii U never made money

• Every unit of Wii U sold was at a loss.
  • Gamepad cost to build including Labour was $95.
  • Wii U console itself costed $140-150. Add in shipping and retailer cut and there’s no room for price drops.
  • Switch price is set up for future price cuts that are still profitable. Ditto the expensive accessories.

Nintendo Swich Dock

• It’s not just a passthrough. You won’t see third-party docks. It has proprietary technology. Not just an empty shell that charges and passthrough hdmi. That’s why it’s expensive.
  • It has to read that the switch is docked, switch the signal to hdmi (since the switch doesn’t have a hdmi port on the unit itself) and then hdmi to TV.

Around the Network

This is very....weird. It's almost like the developer came out and excused everything gamers were worried about with the Switch. This feels...way too convenient. I'll read the full article. Great if true though.

I will say that I predicted the service would be like the PS+ service, where you get to keep it if you downloaded it. I stated this and said that Nintendo probably just had terrible wording. I honestly can't imagine that they just take away the game the moment the next month starts. It's already downloaded anyways, and if you keep your service you should keep it. Saw this coming from a mile away, Nintendo just sucks at wording. Still upset about Voice chat, that's trash.

The free game a month isn't like PS Plus, because you get four games on that programme, or if you just have a PS4, two games. Hopefully she is correct though regarding keeping them as long as you have a subscription, but that is against what has been said elsewhere.

Similarly hope she is correct about the price drops. Price is the biggest issue I have right now, especially for accessories. The Pro controller is not impressive enough to warrant being $70, for example.

All of this is good news, hope its all true.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

None of it is really a surprise, but it's good to hear these things confirmed. At the very least, I'm glad there's still some room for price drops in the future.

Sounds like a lot of money got caught up in the controls again; having all of those features in each joy-con can't be terribly cheap.

Good stuff but doesn't really lessen my concerns tho

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

celador said:

The free game a month isn't like PS Plus, because you get four games on that programme, or if you just have a PS4, two games. Hopefully she is correct though regarding keeping them as long as you have a subscription, but that is against what has been said elsewhere.

Similarly hope she is correct about the price drops. Price is the biggest issue I have right now, especially for accessories. The Pro controller is not impressive enough to warrant being $70, for example.

Well I never said Nintendo was being humble, just that you obviously keep the game, unlike everyone at VGChartz was saying and freaking out about.

Sounds good, and I know I should wait for a price cut before buying, but I'm too much of a Zelda fan to wait longer... And I don't want to play an inferior version (Wii U) when there's a better one out there.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Wyrdness said:

Online subscription

• The free game a month is exactly like PS+. As long as you download within that free month it’s yours to keep as long as you’re subscribed.
  • The free download a month is chosen by Nintendo because if they offered all VC games with online the player base would be split and you’d never find enough people for a match. Whereas with this method, everyone who’s downloading the game is part of the same player pool.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14266290/nintendo-switch-monthly-games-not-free