Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
h2ohno said:
potato_hamster said:

That's completely nonsenical from a game development perspective. Even if the steep port is terrible, it could be because ubisoft hasn't properly wrapped their heads around the switch's arcitecture, or because their development team was lazy and didn't invest the time the platform needed, or it could have been because the developer tools Nintendo game them were poor and requires revision. Or if its great, it could be because they intentionally scaled back the scope of Steep so that the switch could handle it, in spite of all of its limitations, or it could be because they practically redesigned the game from the ground up and poured a lot of time into getting this port running well, or it could be because Nintendo sent experts over to Ubisoft to help them develop this game and get over technical hurdles they otherwise wouldn't be able to overcome. We can't know that from one game or from one side-by-side comparison

There are so many variables and unknowns you're ignoring (although I don't think it's intentional), and as a result you're oversimplifying a solution to a complex problem

That's exactly my point.  If the port is good, it tells us something for sure about the capabilities of the system, but if it isn't good, there are other possible reasons than the hardware not being up to snuff.

If you think that was my point you missed it. If the port is good, it tells us nothing. If it's poor, it also tells us nothing.

KLXVER said:
Teriol said:

Aonuma is aiming to 1080 p 60 fps  on launch day, the game we see  on tree house it's not the  final version, i think they only need to work a little more to port a game design on IBM  and AMD hardware to run better on NVIDIA hardware.

He said that BOTW is 1080p. Never said anything about 60fps from what I know.

He say they are aiming to get 1080 p 60 fps for the Switch on launch day.

34 years playing games.

Teriol said:
KLXVER said:

He said that BOTW is 1080p. Never said anything about 60fps from what I know.

He say they are aiming to get 1080 p 60 fps for the Switch on launch day.

When?

maxleresistant said:
of course it will be downgraded, have you not seen DQ heroes?

DQ Heroes was already a portable game on the Vita.

You have to figure many publishers are rushing ports if they can. There's very little competition for software - so if there's an easy way to get a game out ASAP publishers will take it.

Steep is different - it doesn't have a low-grade version to take advantage of already. They're either doing a near exact port - or for some reason they made a low grade port just for Switch.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
fleischr said:
maxleresistant said:
of course it will be downgraded, have you not seen DQ heroes?

DQ Heroes was already a portable game on the Vita.

You have to figure many publishers are rushing ports if they can. There's very little competition for software - so if there's an easy way to get a game out ASAP publishers will take it.

Steep is different - it doesn't have a low-grade version to take advantage of already. They're either doing a near exact port - or for some reason they made a low grade port just for Switch.

DQ heroes is clearly made from the PS3 version, not the Vita.

And even then, the PS3 version looks better.

So I wonder why people think a game like steep could be ported without being downgraded. It's like the 1 TF  debate all over again... Let's be realistic please.

vivster said:
BOTW is 900p 30fps. It is made by the people who supposedly know the platform best. Seems like a good benchmark.

It's also a game that was likely hastily ported to the system. Plus how many titles at launch come right out of the gate utilizing a systems full potential?

May as well say that resistance:fall of man was a good benchmark for PS3, or perfect dark zero for Xbox 360.

rjason12 said:
vivster said:
BOTW is 900p 30fps. It is made by the people who supposedly know the platform best. Seems like a good benchmark.

It's also a game that was likely hastily ported to the system. Plus how many titles at launch come right out of the gate utilizing a systems full potential?

May as well say that resistance:fall of man was a good benchmark for PS3, or perfect dark zero for Xbox 360.

6 months ago Aonuma told that Breath of the Wild was made for the NX from the start.

Now it's a rushed port, between the lies Nintendo tells and the make believe Nintend fans tries to spread, it's getting confusing.

Platina said:
From the footage before, it looks pretty much the same, so it's a good sign

Not sure if it is actually the case though

Ubisoft is known to show versions of games better than the final product.

I want to believe.

maxleresistant said:

DQ heroes is clearly made from the PS3 version, not the Vita.

And even then, the PS3 version looks better.

So I wonder why people think a game like steep could be ported without being downgraded. It's like the 1 TF  debate all over again... Let's be realistic please.

But Steep has no PS3, 360, or Vita versions to rush to.

You miss the point of the OP. The point is that if we see Steep downgraded, then our worst suspicions are likely proven true. But if it instead strongly resembles the PS4/X1 versions - we have to revisit this idea that Switch is vastly underpowered.

Let's get real - straight ports are way easier than downgraded ones. And if a straight port wasn't possible or was outright difficult - Ubi likely would not bother with it.

Then again - We are of course talking about the same company that put Watch Dogs on WiiU - but they at least had 360/PS3 versions to work with for that.