By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Steep will benchmark Nintendo Switch power

Ganoncrotch said:
Massive flaw with the OP, you state PC requirements and say how will a console match those to run the game.

Google the mini requirements of GTA5 on the PC, Google the specs of the X360, that game should never run on that hardware.

What will be a perfect benchmark really when the machine launches is how it runs a game which has obviously been given a lot of time porting over to the switch and that we know exactly how it runs on a number of configurations and that is The Elder Scrolls Skyrim, people will know immediately the power of the system based on exactly which effects make it into the switch version and exactly how well the machine can reproduce them in portable and docked mode.

GPUs listed in specs are comparable to what's in PS4/X1.

PS4/X1 being x86 make the PC specs more relevant. Closer to an apples to apples comparison.

360 was a powerpc architecture. More of an apples to oranges comparison.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
vivster said:
BOTW is 900p 30fps. It is made by the people who supposedly know the platform best. Seems like a good benchmark.

period

Nogamez said:
Well we already know its much more than Wii u due to 4 player splitscreen 1080p 60fps MK8. Thats a big improvement already

4 player split screen runs at 30 fps actually.

h2ohno said:
vivster said:
BOTW is 900p 30fps. It is made by the people who supposedly know the platform best. Seems like a good benchmark.

Not exactly, since it was designed with a system with a very different and older archetecture in mind and the move to the Switch likely happened late in development and split a team which was't very large by modern AAA standards to begin with..  With added development time just for the Switch they might well have gotten it to 1080p or improved the visuals even further.  Many of the 1st party games this year were probably orginally in development for the WiiU and their graphics suffer for that.  A third party 8th gen multiplat with no 7th gen, WiiU, or handheld versions is a very iportant test.

So you're saying Nintendo's programmers are incompetent?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
h2ohno said:

Not exactly, since it was designed with a system with a very different and older archetecture in mind and the move to the Switch likely happened late in development and split a team which was't very large by modern AAA standards to begin with..  With added development time just for the Switch they might well have gotten it to 1080p or improved the visuals even further.  Many of the 1st party games this year were probably orginally in development for the WiiU and their graphics suffer for that.  A third party 8th gen multiplat with no 7th gen, WiiU, or handheld versions is a very iportant test.

No.  I'm saying you can't judge a system based solely on 1st gen software designed for very different architecture and likely moved quickly to be year 1 releases.  See what Nintendo does with a game they developed from the ground up for Switch, with no rushing and no split teams, and then call it a benchmark.

Around the Network
h2ohno said:
vivster said:

No.  I'm saying you can't judge a system based solely on 1st gen software designed for very different architecture and likely moved quickly to be year 1 releases.  See what Nintendo does with a game they developed from the ground up for Switch, with no rushing and no split teams, and then call it a benchmark.

Looking at the thread title it seems it's possible.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

twintail said:
isnt this game always online?

Yeah I've heard that it is.

How they enforce that in portable mode may be tricky.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

potato_hamster said:
Nogamez said:
Well we already know its much more than Wii u due to 4 player splitscreen 1080p 60fps MK8. Thats a big improvement already

4 player split screen runs at 30 fps actually.

Oh yeah sorry 2 player split screen is 1080p.60fps. 

The requirements of the PC versions don't say much. Remember all the cross-generational X360/PS3/XOne/PS4 multiplatforms. As an example, the Xbox 360 ran Rise of the Tomb Raider with a GPU some 80% slower than the minimum specs. I would expect the Switch titles to ressemble those games in looks, but only if the developers get it right. Somehow I'm sure Skyrim will be borked on release.

vivster said:
h2ohno said:

Looking at the thread title it seems it's possible.

If said 1st gen software is a good port of a PS4 game, then that does say something about the system receiving future 8th gen ports and multiplats.  If it isn't, it could be because the system isn't powerful enough, or because the port was rushed, or bad programming.  And in general we are more interested in how games are downgraded from the PS4 than how they are upgraded from the WiiU.