By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Steep will benchmark Nintendo Switch power

h2ohno said:
vivster said:

Looking at the thread title it seems it's possible.

If said 1st gen software is a good port of a PS4 game, then that does say something about the system receiving future 8th gen ports and multiplats.  If it isn't, it could be because the system isn't powerful enough, or because the port was rushed, or bad programming.  And in general we are more interested in how games are downgraded from the PS4 than how they are upgraded from the WiiU.

Steep is 1st gen software designed for very different architecture and likely moved quickly to be a year 1 release. Make up your mind.

Around the Network

of course it will be downgraded, have you not seen DQ heroes?

potato_hamster said:
h2ohno said:

If said 1st gen software is a good port of a PS4 game, then that does say something about the system receiving future 8th gen ports and multiplats.  If it isn't, it could be because the system isn't powerful enough, or because the port was rushed, or bad programming.  And in general we are more interested in how games are downgraded from the PS4 than how they are upgraded from the WiiU.

Steep is 1st gen software designed for very different architecture and likely moved quickly to be a year 1 release. Make up your mind.

Nothing I've said is contradictory.  We can tell more from whether the port is good than we can from whether the port is bad.  And the fact that it is started on more powerful hardware is also more relevant to the discussion of the Switch's capabilities than games brought over from the Wii U.

h2ohno said:
potato_hamster said:

Nothing I've said is contradictory.  We can tell more from whether the port is good than we can from whether the port is bad.  And the fact that it is started on more powerful hardware is also more relevant to the discussion of the Switch's capabilities than games brought over from the Wii U.

Why? And please feel free to get as technical as you like. I can keep up.

vivster said:
BOTW is 900p 30fps. It is made by the people who supposedly know the platform best. Seems like a good benchmark.

Aonuma is aiming to 1080 p 60 fps  on launch day, the game we see  on tree house it's not the  final version, i think they only need to work a little more to port a game design on IBM  and AMD hardware to run better on NVIDIA hardware.

34 years playing games.

Around the Network
Teriol said:
vivster said:
BOTW is 900p 30fps. It is made by the people who supposedly know the platform best. Seems like a good benchmark.

Aonuma is aiming to 1080 p 60 fps  on launch day, the game we see  on tree house it's not the  final version, i think they only need to work a little more to port a game design on IBM  and AMD hardware to run better on NVIDIA hardware.

He said that BOTW is 1080p. Never said anything about 60fps from what I know.

Listed PC requirements seem to be extremely arbitrary to begin with. I've played PC games at below Minimum before and done just fine. Other instances, I've played a bit above Minimum and the game ran like a two-legged dog.

I also don't believe for a second that Skyrim has the same requirements as Fallout 4, despite what Bethesda says.

potato_hamster said:
h2ohno said:

It's already a given that the Switch is more powerful than the WiiU.  A big concern with 3rd parties is whether the Switch can handle current gen multiplats and how big the downgrade would be if those multiplats come.  The fact that Splatoon 2 doesn't look any better than Splatoon 1 at this point is a sign that Nintendo didn't bother to improve the engine so they could make other changes and still get the game out 2 years after the first 1, not that the Switch can't handle better graphics than Splatoon 1.  If Steep, a recent PS4 game, runs well on Switch and doesn't look too much worse than on PS4/PC, then that tells us without a doubt that the Switch is powerful enough to run these kinds of games.  But if it doesn't do those things, then it may be because the Switch isn't powerful enough, or it may be because the game was rushed.  We are waiting on baited breath for that kind of news, not whether Splatoon will have better anti-aliasing than on Wii U or Zelda will reach 1080p.  It would be nice if they did, but that isn't what will make or break the system.

h2ohno said:
potato_hamster said:

It's already a given that the Switch is more powerful than the WiiU.  A big concern with 3rd parties is whether the Switch can handle current gen multiplats and how big the downgrade would be if those multiplats come.  The fact that Splatoon 2 doesn't look any better than Splatoon 1 at this point is a sign that Nintendo didn't bother to improve the engine so they could make other changes and still get the game out 2 years after the first 1, not that the Switch can't handle better graphics than Splatoon 1.  If Steep, a recent PS4 game, runs well on Switch and doesn't look too much worse than on PS4/PC, then that tells us without a doubt that the Switch is powerful enough to run these kinds of games.  But if it doesn't do those things, then it may be because the Switch isn't powerful enough, or it may be because the game was rushed.  We are waiting on baited breath for that kind of news, not whether Splatoon will have better anti-aliasing than on Wii U or Zelda will reach 1080p.  It would be nice if they did, but that isn't what will make or break the system.

That's completely nonsenical from a game development perspective. Even if the steep port is terrible, it could be because ubisoft hasn't properly wrapped their heads around the switch's arcitecture, or because their development team was lazy and didn't invest the time the platform needed, or it could have been because the developer tools Nintendo game them were poor and requires revision. Or if its great, it could be because they intentionally scaled back the scope of Steep so that the switch could handle it, in spite of all of its limitations, or it could be because they practically redesigned the game from the ground up and poured a lot of time into getting this port running well, or it could be because Nintendo sent experts over to Ubisoft to help them develop this game and get over technical hurdles they otherwise wouldn't be able to overcome. We can't know that from one game or from one side-by-side comparison

There are so many variables and unknowns you're ignoring (although I don't think it's intentional), and as a result you're oversimplifying a solution to a complex problem

potato_hamster said:
h2ohno said:

That's completely nonsenical from a game development perspective. Even if the steep port is terrible, it could be because ubisoft hasn't properly wrapped their heads around the switch's arcitecture, or because their development team was lazy and didn't invest the time the platform needed, or it could have been because the developer tools Nintendo game them were poor and requires revision. Or if its great, it could be because they intentionally scaled back the scope of Steep so that the switch could handle it, in spite of all of its limitations, or it could be because they practically redesigned the game from the ground up and poured a lot of time into getting this port running well, or it could be because Nintendo sent experts over to Ubisoft to help them develop this game and get over technical hurdles they otherwise wouldn't be able to overcome. We can't know that from one game or from one side-by-side comparison

There are so many variables and unknowns you're ignoring (although I don't think it's intentional), and as a result you're oversimplifying a solution to a complex problem

That's exactly my point.  If the port is good, it tells us something for sure about the capabilities of the system, but if it isn't good, there are other possible reasons than the hardware not being up to snuff.