By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So the Switch is a $129.99 handheld?

jonathanalis said:
that why switch is going to succeed,
Eventually, when switch start getting dust on shelfs, and not reacing the selling goals, they will start selling a package with just tablet and joycons for 150$.
Then release main pokemon game, and done.

If Pokemon gen 8 is for the Switch I can see them releasing a SKU of the Switch for about 150 without the dock on the same day as gen 8.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
PS4 Uncharted 4 Bundle= 300
Uncharted 4= 60
Dualshock 4= 60

PS4 is a $180 home console.

Yep.  PS4 has been on the market for a few years and is still more powerful and cheaper than the Switch!

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
JWeinCom said:
PS4 Uncharted 4 Bundle= 300
Uncharted 4= 60
Dualshock 4= 60

PS4 is a $180 home console.

Yep.  PS4 has been on the market for a few years and is still more powerful and cheaper than the Switch!

Not if Switch is 130.

JWeinCom said:
dharh said:

Not if Switch is 130.

I was being a bit tongue and cheek about it.  The concept of this thread is kinda dumb.  Controllers are intengral parts of using a console.  You can't really remove it and call it a base unit.  Also the PS4 is in no way shape or form a _handheld_.  So skipping the idea of the handheld nonsense.

The dock is also an integral part of the Switch idea so how can you really remove it and also call it the base unit.  

Fact of the matter is you can't BUY either console without the things listed, so the idea is again moot.

The game however you can move and replace with other cheaper games.

An actual usable PS4 (home console) with one game vs an actual usable Switch (home console) with one game, it is cheaper to get the PS4.  Remove the game, if for whatever stupid reaon you wanted a console without a game to play, the PS4 is still cheaper.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
JWeinCom said:

Not if Switch is 130.

I was being a bit tongue and cheek about it.  The concept of this thread is kinda dumb.  Controllers are intengral parts of using a console.  You can't really remove it and call it a base unit.  Also the PS4 is in no way shape or form a _handheld_.  So skipping the idea of the handheld nonsense.

The dock is also an integral part of the Switch idea so how can you really remove it and also call it the base unit.  

Fact of the matter is you can't BUY either console without the things listed, so the idea is again moot.

The game however you can move and replace with other cheaper games.

An actual usable PS4 (home console) with one game vs an actual usable Switch (home console) with one game, it is cheaper to get the PS4.  Remove the game, if for whatever stupid reaon you wanted a console without a game to play, the PS4 is still cheaper.

Obviously the thread is dumb, that was my point in the first place.  But since you wanted to make the comparison...

If you want to play with two people the price stabilizes.  If you want motion control gaming, then the Switch becomes about 90 dollars cheaper.  If you want to do motion control gaming with two players, 160 dollars cheaper.  If you want to do that and be able to do offscreen play, then its about 360 dollars cheaper.  If you want to be able to do that plus take your games with you, then it becomes at least a thousand dollars cheaper, since you'd have to rig up some kind of contraption to make that possible.

People are coming at this from the point of view of someone who just wants to sit on the couch and play traditional games.  If you're that kind of person, the Switch probably isn't for you unless you really want to play Zelda.  But, for the person who's interested in all the different things Switch does, you'd be unable to get those features at a cheaper price.

Around the Network

They are just charging out the ends for acessories to make up for the additional costs of games being on carts again.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

NUser said:
KLXVER said:
They could even remove the touch screen for all I care.

I feel completly different.

I think the best way what nintendo should do with the switch is NOT making it just a console / handheld but a decent tablet as well. So people who are going to get an iPad Mini or Android Tab might just get the switch because it can do similar/same stuff (media player, netflix, amazon, ebay, web browser, photo and video editing and such) and addionally play console quality like games.

Why pay 299.-$ for an iPad Mini if you can get an as good switch that can also play decent games?

I think this was also the main reason the ps2 took off and even the ps3 sold decent. Many people bought this consoles as and DVD/Blue Ray Player that plays games as well. 

This is absolutly true. Consoles and handhelds need to be as versitile as the next device. These extra features justify the purchase for the casual gamers, or people with limited incomes. Stuff like Web brosing, e-mail, phone calls, and texting are a necessity in day to day life. Having these features in consoles and handhelds, would great increase their market value, as they would be capable of handling peoples daily needs. Without those features things like tablets and smartphone stomp all over handhelds and consoles, because they offer the basics. The console and handheld industry need to adapt quickly and take the fight to the competition. 

As to the OP. I think Switch is more like a $199.99 handheld. Hopefully Nintendo will take a note from Micorosft and change the marketing of the product to help turn things around. Making the dock optional, and selling the device at $199.99 - $229.99 later this year will help Switch be a successful platform, and keep Nintendo i the hardware business.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Sales price =/= manufacturing cost.

That dock costs maybe $20 tops to mass produce.

No. Its Nintendo....they increased the price on the accessories for profit. Its not that simple to assess the price as a whole, but we can say is the belief that the marked up the price for it isnt far fetched. Nintendo sells nothing outside of profit.

All right!

Switch!!!