By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So the Switch is a $129.99 handheld?

QUAKECore89 said:

No, just keep 2 joycons, these are super important for buttons. I think you meant this joy-con charging grip which is cost $30.

Source: http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/

Also note: scroll down for more, don't stop.

It doesn't come with that one. The grip on the Switch is just plastic... no charging. 

OT: You are the weirdest kind of right, but you can't leave the Joycons out. They are needed.

I'm almost certain they can sell the Switch for $250 and still make a profit. 

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

No, because P != MC (Price is not equal to marginal cost.) Because Nintendo is making a profit (and likely a large one) on these accessories P > MC.

Turkish said:

Accesory prices:

Dock: $89.99
2 Joycons: $79.99

Leaves $130 for the main unit.

What do u think about this, should the Joycons have just been regular cheap controllers?

They don't cost that much. That's just the jacked up price. This is common with controllers. 

It's a Nintablet. an over price one

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Nope, that's not how it works, you're taking the retail price and subtracting it from the console's price, considering Nintendo profits on periferals that leaves you with a much lower cost for the console, especially considering how overpriced the Switch Dock is...

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
QUAKECore89 said:

No, just keep 2 joycons, these are super important for buttons. I think you meant this joy-con charging grip which is cost $30.

It doesn't come with that one. The grip on the Switch is just plastic... no charging. 

OT: You are the weirdest kind of right, but you can't leave the Joycons out. They are needed.

Even if they cant they should still be selling it at that price. I mean paid online and how well there games sell should easily make up for it.

Slarvax said:
QUAKECore89 said:

The grip is also included in the package, plus it can charge 2 joycons in the same time when you plug a USB type C cable above the grip.

Fixed, been overhelping a lot of complainers everywhere yesterday. And damn the grip is just a plastic.

You can't play the Switch without a controller, so $200 but even then, it doesn't work like that

Mainly the dock being a suspiciously expensive, but yes, I would go with cheaper controllers for a cheaper console

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

that why switch is going to succeed,
Eventually, when switch start getting dust on shelfs, and not reacing the selling goals, they will start selling a package with just tablet and joycons for 150$.
Then release main pokemon game, and done.

Turkish said:

Accesory prices:

Dock: $89.99
2 Joycons: $79.99

Leaves $130 for the main unit.

What do u think about this, should the Joycons have just been regular cheap controllers?

No... Lmao I think the Dock's manufacturing cost is somewhere between $3-7. Maybe 10 at the most. If you are wondering why the Dock cost so much money, from my understand it's because it's one of the ways Nintendo is making their money. Kimishima said the Switch will not be sold at a loss and this is a way to ensure that. You really think the controllers don't have a large profit margin as well? The console itself doesn't seem like it's making much of a nickel and dime on it's own. So there's like 250% profit margin for the Dock and still a decent one for the rest of it.

You can't seriously think the main unit costs $130 with all that tech? I mean I could be the one wrong in my calculation and manufacturing cost of the dock. This is soley assuming that it's just a chunk of plastic that can detect the Switch and has it's USB slots and HDMI slot. Keep in mind that HDMI Cables cost less than $2 to make have insane mark ups as well.

You don't actually need the dock anyways. So Nintendo selling it for premieum to maximize profits.