By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The first true test for Switch is this summer season

onionberry said:
KLXVER said:

Why is that sad? Would be worse if they didnt want to play Nintendo games.

well sad cause I have been reading the same threads with the same opinions on different forums since I was 12. sad for them I guess.

Thats the power of Nintendo games

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
I hate to say it but they already failed their first real test and that was the event yesterday. They showed 2 games that people really want (Mario Zelda) and some boxing dodging game? Yes there were other things and Splatoon 2 was interesting. But they could have shown one game and would have recaptured all hype. Metroid. They should have a reveal trailer along the lines of FF7:R. Didn't have to be much. But a simple trailer like that would have lit up the internet.

Instead we got some ice cubes and dudes staring lovingly into each others eyes instead of at a screen. Outside of Zelda and Mario, it wasn't good.

ROFL Metroid is niche sorry but what they showed generated more hype than Metroid can shake a stick at, only people who would be hyped at it are the minority forum goers.

I think that's first test will actually come sooner, probably in April/May, that's when the initial early adopters will mostly have gotten theirs and it's going to have to sell to "normal people" ... $350-$360 with one game is expensive and puts this out of range of the kids audience for Nintendo IMO.

I was talking to my brother and it's more expensive than a PS4 there ($399.99 for Switch vs. $350 for a PS4) and the PS4 comes with a game and HDD on top of that (Uncharted 4).

That's rough.

Wyrdness said:
bunchanumbers said:
I hate to say it but they already failed their first real test and that was the event yesterday. They showed 2 games that people really want (Mario Zelda) and some boxing dodging game? Yes there were other things and Splatoon 2 was interesting. But they could have shown one game and would have recaptured all hype. Metroid. They should have a reveal trailer along the lines of FF7:R. Didn't have to be much. But a simple trailer like that would have lit up the internet.

Instead we got some ice cubes and dudes staring lovingly into each others eyes instead of at a screen. Outside of Zelda and Mario, it wasn't good.

ROFL Metroid is niche sorry but what they showed generated more hype than Metroid can shake a stick at, only people who would be hyped at it are the minority forum goers.

Doesn't matter. It would have been a direct appeal to the core gamer who wouldn't look at Wii U. Nintendo needed that if they are going to sell a $300 tablet with $60 games.

Soundwave said:
I think that's first test will actually come sooner, probably in April/May, that's when the initial early adopters will mostly have gotten theirs and it's going to have to sell to "normal people" ... $350-$360 with one game is expensive and puts this out of range of the kids audience for Nintendo IMO.

I was talking to my brother and it's more expensive than a PS4 there ($399.99 for Switch vs. $350 for a PS4) and the PS4 comes with a game and HDD on top of that (Uncharted 4).

That's rough.

They really seem to cater less to kids than ever before with this console. Both the new Zelda and Mario just looks more...edgy, for the lack of a better word.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
onionberry said:

well sad cause I have been reading the same threads with the same opinions on different forums since I was 12. sad for them I guess.

I would enjoy them on the ps4. 1) They would probably have trophies. 2) I wouldn't need to have an extra system set up. 3) Preferred controllers. The wii U Pro controller is great. The N64? Gamecube? Wii? Joy Con? All horrifying.

I have no problem buying a Nintendo console but I would buy them on ps4 also if I could.

I would enjoy every game from sony, microsoft and Nintendo on steam. we are humans, we want stuff.

the key will be Nintendo having projects they haven't announced yet. If they were to pop out a few semi big titles for the summer (say something an offshoot of Pokemon, F-Zero, an Animal Crossing, a Kirby game, I don't know) then I think the momentum would be good.

Honestly I'd say the real test will be like month 1. If they manage to sell through the 2 million systems they're sending out for launch by like the end of March then they'll be in good shape. I just honestly hope to god they're going to announce more titles, I mean Nintendo is the biggest software developer on the planet traditionally, there's no excuse for their library to be so barren  as far as the schedule is concerned, especially more towards launch

bunchanumbers said:

Doesn't matter. It would have been a direct appeal to the core gamer who wouldn't look at Wii U. Nintendo needed that if they are going to sell a $300 tablet with $60 games.

Metroid struggles to make it to 1m sales, it's not a core franchise it's a niche title with a cult following always has been always will be, core players never look at it because it requires a specific taste to get into. If you think Metroid would gain attention from players who never got the Wii U then you're kidding yourself hard.

mountaindewslave said:

the key will be Nintendo having projects they haven't announced yet. If they were to pop out a few semi big titles for the summer (say something an offshoot of Pokemon, F-Zero, an Animal Crossing, a Kirby game, I don't know) then I think the momentum would be good.

Honestly I'd say the real test will be like month 1. If they manage to sell through the 2 million systems they're sending out for launch by like the end of March then they'll be in good shape. I just honestly hope to god they're going to announce more titles, I mean Nintendo is the biggest software developer on the planet traditionally, there's no excuse for their library to be so barren  as far as the schedule is concerned, especially more towards launch

There's no way they shouldn't be able to sell those 2 million units. 2 million launch units means each of the big three markets is only getting like 650k systems a piece. 

If they can't sell that with a new Zelda game, they should just pack it up. 

Wyrdness said:
bunchanumbers said:

Metroid struggles to make it to 1m sales, it's not a core franchise it's a niche title with a cult following always has been always will be, core players never look at it because it requires a specific taste to get into. If you think Metroid would gain attention from players who never got the Wii U then you're kidding yourself hard.

I don't think I am. Metroid would have definitely stirred that cult following. It also would have played well with the gaming press and that is a victory no matter how it is looked at. Perception rules and if they included Metroid, it would have had the perception of being there for core gamers.