By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The first true test for Switch is this summer season

Summer will be a test in the short term but I don't think it'll make any difference long term.

I think we will have to wait for Pokemon before accurately judging the Switch's sales.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Wyrdness said:

It's niche, scraping past 1m after 4 years doesn't change that.

Not every franchise that doesnt sell many millions are niche. That word is way overused. Whats niche about a bounty hunter in an action platformer shooting aliens?

What's Niche about it? The gameplay approach, mechanics and overall experience, it requires a very specific and distinct taste that's what makes it niche as it will never apeal to anyone outside of this small group unless the franchise changes entirely, a vague description doesn't stop it being niche the game itself is what makes it niche.

Wyrdness said:
KLXVER said:

Not every franchise that doesnt sell many millions are niche. That word is way overused. Whats niche about a bounty hunter in an action platformer shooting aliens?

What's Niche about it? The gameplay approach, mechanics and overall experience, it requires a very specific and distinct taste that's what makes it niche, a vague description doesn't stop it being niche the game itself is what makes it niche.

I guess Kirby is niche as well then...

KLXVER said:

Except Kirby's gameplay is far more accessible unlike Metroid which is why the former sells more consistently in a shorter amount of time.

Wyrdness said:
KLXVER said:

Except Kirby's gameplay is far more accessible unlike Metroid which is why the former sells more consistently in a shorter amount of time.

Yeah, we always hear about the trouble gamers have playing Metroid... Such a riddle that franchise.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Wyrdness said:

Yeah, we always hear about the trouble gamers have playing Metroid... Such a riddle that franchise.

Metroid is what I class as a series that is fully complete in way that is more advance than 90% of games to the point that it's its own genre unfortunately most players can't wrap their heads around it for some reason. It has exploration, combat, platforming, puzzle solving, action elements, story etc... all balanced across the board but most gamers brains short curcuit trying to process, imo the series should be selling as much as other first party titles but we have an industry that avoids such games sadly.

I agree, which is probably why Nintendo spaced their games like this

Probably a few unannounced games for E3 to launch in Summer/Fall as well

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

RolStoppable said:
The DS sold only eight million units in its first twelve months. That's a little bit over half of what the PS4 managed. The DS went on to have peak years very close to 30m, the PS4 won't even crack 20m.

The point is, making an extrapolation for a console's liftetime sales based on a few months of data could only work if all surrounding circumstances are the same or at the very least very similar. I hope it goes without saying that Switch isn't a GameCube. Oh look, I said it anyway.

4 million in 7 months is a smaller ratio than 8 million in 12 months though.

And I'm comparing these first 7 months to Wii U's 2012 holiday launch plus its first 9 months where it failed to sale 4 million before October 2013 when it launched last year at 2012. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U#Sales )

Tbh all summer could be taken care of by Splatoon 2 since they said it will get constant updates just like the first game but I'm shure Nintendo will put out at least another retail game/a few digital games

bunchanumbers said:
I hate to say it but they already failed their first real test and that was the event yesterday. They showed 2 games that people really want (Mario Zelda) and some boxing dodging game? Yes there were other things and Splatoon 2 was interesting. But they could have shown one game and would have recaptured all hype. Metroid. They should have a reveal trailer along the lines of FF7:R. Didn't have to be much. But a simple trailer like that would have lit up the internet.

Instead we got some ice cubes and dudes staring lovingly into each others eyes instead of at a screen. Outside of Zelda and Mario, it wasn't good.

You forgot to mention Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.Not to mention potential system sellers like Dragon Quest.Its not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1