By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2016 NPD Thread! The Last Guardian and Dead Rising 4 sales up!

Soundwave said:

Sony being down even 10k is really poor IMO. They have a new hardware model (PS4 Pro), they have a new revision (PS4 Slim), AND they have a $250 promo revision for December. 

If they are down, clearly something is happening and it looks like that "something" is that XBox One is becoming far more competetive, taking away sales from the PS4, because there's no way the PS4 should be down this year with all that going for it. 

Hmmm lets see....

The new hardware revision PS4pro; is still just a PS4 albeit more powerful tht costs $150 more than the slim version, was undershipped and didnt have a single bundle going for it. And you really expect it to move tons of units?

the other new revision, the slim... did as well as it was going to do and pls.... don't talk like you couldn't also get the XB1 for under $250 during that holiday period.

We do know that the PS4 was up for the year though, and down this month..... probably down in NA all year round. But that could be attributed to dony staying at $350 for 8 months of the year.

Around the Network
Boutros said:

So we're looking at this?

1. PS4<1.582m (down YoY)
2. XBO>1.376m (up YoY)

Another close month. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Intrinsic said:
Soundwave said:

Sony being down even 10k is really poor IMO. They have a new hardware model (PS4 Pro), they have a new revision (PS4 Slim), AND they have a $250 promo revision for December. 

If they are down, clearly something is happening and it looks like that "something" is that XBox One is becoming far more competetive, taking away sales from the PS4, because there's no way the PS4 should be down this year with all that going for it. 

Hmmm lets see....

The new hardware revision PS4pro; is still just a PS4 albeit more powerful tht costs $150 more than the slim version, was undershipped and didnt have a single bundle going for it. And you really expect it to move tons of units?

the other new revision, the slim... did as well as it was going to do and pls.... don't talk like you couldn't also get the XB1 for under $250 during that holiday period.

We do know that the PS4 was up for the year though, and down this month..... probably down in NA all year round. But that could be attributed to dony staying at $350 for 8 months of the year.

Bottom line remains, MS should not have even been competetive, yet not are they more than holding their own since XBox One S, they are actually have some high water marks, highest month for XBox One sales ever in December is notable. 

If Sony didn't have two models, they probably would have lost this holiday season entirely, they barely won November from the leaks we got. 

MatrixPrime said:
bunchanumbers said:

What? If you walked up to the street and asked people what these are how many would say PS4 games coming in January that I'm hyped for? More than likely none of them. Its great that Sony has all these 3rd party games but I doubt that it leads to an explosion of sales for these games.

Funny since Xbox fans would love all of those games since Xbox is barren the first half of this year. I know more people excited for those games and I don't even know anyone personally who owns an Xbox after 3 years. How many people were hypee for Xbox games since none have sold greatly?

Sorry bro I don't really debate with alt accounts.

I guess MS' statement means that PS4 outsold the XBox One by less than 266.2k but more than 243.6k in the last 2 months (otherwise they could have said outsold ps4 for the last 7 months of the year)

XBox One vs PS4

Jan: -97k
Feb: -156.7k
March: -88.6k
April: -7.2k
May: -100.2k
June: -22.6k
July: +9.9k
August: +114.8k
September: +47.5k
October: +94k
November: -100k ?
December: -166.2k < x < -143.6k

So PS4 extended its lead in 2016 by anywhere between 349.7k and 372.3k units, if I got my numbers right.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Soundwave said:

It's one MS model (XBox One S) taking on *two* PS4 models at the same time that also had a $250 discount for December. Sorry, but Sony should've *crushed* MS, instead some how XBox One S has its best month ever and Sony is down from last year. 

For them to be down means MS is cutting into their supposed advantage, this should not even be competetive, yet it looks to me like MS has found a second wind in the US after the XBox One S has launched. Sony should have won both November and December easily. 

That's fine.
But the term "closing the gap" in any given month should not be used when you lose/sell less units.
If PS4 outsold XBO by 400k one month, and 399 999 the next month, that's closing the gap?

Fine. They're closing the gap in terms of being competetive every month now, whereas before it looked like Sony was just going to run away with this generation in the US, now it looks like they have a bit of a fight on their hands because that XBox One S is fighting pretty damn hard from what I see. 

Almost tied Sony in November and now forces Sony to be down year over year in December and records the best Xbox One month ever. To me that's notable, MS is definitely getting more competetive in the US, PS4 Pro + PS4 Slim have not pushed MS back like they should have. 

SvennoJ said:

I guess MS' statement means that PS4 outsold the XBox One by less than 266.2k but more than 243.6k in the last 2 months (otherwise they could have said outsold ps4 for the last 7 months of the year)

XBox One vs PS4

Jan: -97k
Feb: -156.7k
March: -88.6k
April: -7.2k
May: -100.2k
June: -22.6k
July: +9.9k
August: +114.8k
September: +47.5k
October: +94k
November: -100k ?
December: -166.2k < x < -143.6k

So PS4 extended its lead in 2016 by anywhere ibetween 349.7k and 372.3k units, if I got my numbers right.

The gap is closing!!

#ForumLogic

Soundwave said:
Hiku said:

That's fine.
But the term "closing the gap" in any given month should not be used when you lose/sell less units.
If PS4 outsold XBO by 400k one month, and 399 999 the next month, that's closing the gap?

Fine. They're closing the gap in terms of being competetive every month now, whereas before it looked like Sony was just going to run away with this generation in the US, now it looks like they have a bit of a fight on their hands because that XBox One S is fighting pretty damn hard from what I see. 

Almost tied Sony in November and now forces Sony to be down year over year in December and records the best Xbox One month ever. To me that's notable, MS is definitely getting more competetive in the US, PS4 Pro + PS4 Slim have not pushed MS back like they should have. 

So they are basically competing well globally in the US?

#ForumLogic

Neodegenerate said:
Soundwave said:

So they are basically competing well globally in the US?

#ForumLogic

This is an NPD thread, NPD covers sales in America, hence the discussion is about American sales. 

#CommonSense

Soundwave said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Is there any wonder some of Microsoft's fans are shameless?

What's wrong with that statement if that's true? MS has been dramatically more competetive since the XBox One S launched and even the much balley-hooed PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim have not stopped XBox One from having a very good holiday season apparently. December was their best month ever, meanwhile Sony is somewho down year over year despite having a new model and revision and a $250 promotion. 

Yeh I think this would suggest that the XBoxOne S has had a more positive impact on sales in th U.S than the PS4 Slim and PS4 pro. Add VR to the equation and we still have only a margin of defeat - virtual tie nearly. Quite incredible really. Still tho a win is a win.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70