By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2016 NPD Thread! The Last Guardian and Dead Rising 4 sales up!

Even though it sounds like Sony eeked out a victory, it looks to me like XBox has made serious inroads against the PS4.

XBox was the only system that was up year over year (meaning Sony was down over last year even with PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim and $250 PS4) and overall outsold the PS4 for the second half of the year (after XBOne S was launched).

That's impressive for Microsoft.

Around the Network
FIT_Gamer said:
Hiku said:

Do we have confirmation from Crapgamer that PS4 won by 2 units?
I think we can expect something like that in the next few hours.

Honestly though, if PS4 wins Jan NPD as well, then I think this means that things are back to PS4 winning every NPD again against Xbox One.

Well the Xbox One doesn't have any exclusive software announced yet that will be system seller. Maybe Forza 7 in September. 

Well Halo Wars 2 and SoD2 are pretty big IPs.

CGI-Quality said:
Jason, you put up a good fight!

Gloating aside, good month for the two!

The CGI master race 😀

Bandorr said:
Soundwave said:
Even though it sounds like Sony eeked out a victory, it looks to me like XBox has made serious inroads against the PS4.

XBox was the only system that was up year over year (meaning Sony was down over last year even with PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim and $250 PS4) and overall outsold the PS4 for the second half of the year (after XBOne S was launched).

That's impressive for Microsoft.

"Even though it sounds like Sony eeked out a victory" based on what?

I just got in, did Sony not win December? 

Sounds like they are down year over year though, whereas MS is up year over year for December. That means they closed the gap. To be honest Sony should be blowing MS away and be way up this year with a new model, a new redesign, and $250 ... it seems to me like MS is seriously slowing the PS4 down in the US by becoming more competetive. 

Neodegenerate said:
Bandorr said:

Mostly a joke, but well I refuse to give Nintendo any credit for now.  They are supposely shipping 2 million for march I believe?

It would be fairly hilarious if the ps4 or xb1 can sell more than that. I mean it won't happen, not in March - but still hilarious.

Oh I can only imagine the riots on the forums if that were to happen.  I want it to happen just for the hilarity.

It's common sense that a new product sells more than old products when they first hit the market. Switch isn't competing with PS4 or Xbox just like the Wii since both were not targeting the same consumer. No one who doesn't buy an Xbox is going to buy Switch, just as no one who doesn't buy a PS4 is going to buy Switch. They will buy they other instead. Switch is irrelevant to the other two and has it's own lane with no competition except the 3DS ironically. So Switch sales won't be at the expense of the others. I expect the sales to be lower than Nintendo fans expect since it is not releasing in the fall and there isn't much hype compared to the WiiU. Nothing like when the Wii was coming.

RolStoppable said:
Congrats to Microsoft. Troublesome results for Sony.

It down but we dont know how much so its to soon to say its bad for Sony especially when last years lineup of bundles and games were better than this year.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Bandorr said:

Sounds like they are down year over year though, whereas MS is up year over year for December. That means they closed the gap. To be honest Sony should be blowing MS away and be way up this year with a new model, a new redesign, and $250 ... it seems to me like MS is seriously slowing hte PS4 down in the US by becoming more competetive. 

I guess global sales don't exist on this site?

Is there any wonder some of Microsoft's fans are shameless?

The PS5 Exists. 

MatrixPrime said:
Neodegenerate said:

Oh I can only imagine the riots on the forums if that were to happen.  I want it to happen just for the hilarity.

It's common sense that a new product sells more than old products when they first hit the market. Switch isn't competing with PS4 or Xbox just like the Wii since both were not targeting the same consumer. No one who doesn't buy an Xbox is going to buy Switch, just as no one who doesn't buy a PS4 is going to buy Switch. They will buy they other instead. Switch is irrelevant to the other two and has it's own lane with no competition except the 3DS ironically. So Switch sales won't be at the expense of the others. I expect the sales to be lower than Nintendo fans expect since it is not releasing in the fall and there isn't much hype compared to the WiiU. Nothing like when the Wii was coming.

Agreed, Switch doesn't factor much into the console side at all (not in the US). Both Sony and MS being strong here is bad for Nintendo too because there's less room to sneak in with two already established competitors with long head starts and established momentum. 

Switch's main competetion is the 3DS, agreed. 

Soundwave said:
Bandorr said:

Sounds like they are down year over year, whereas MS is up year over year for December. That means they closed the gap. To be honest Sony should be blowing MS away and be way up this year with a new model, a new redesign, and $250 ... it seems to me like MS is seriously slowing hte PS4 down in the US by becoming more competetive. 

Remember, Microsoft had a very clever release schedule for its XB1S bundles, either releasing them at the beginning of a month or almost the end of it. Release a bundle at the beginning of the month gives the XB1 an early boost and a late month release gives it a last moment push before the NPD period ends.

Also, the Minecraft bundle was further discounted from Dec. 11 to 24, so during those two weeks, the XB1 had the advantage of having the cheapest SKU in the market. This is a significant detail to point out because holiday sales are dictated by price more than anything. Now, the PS4 and XB1 are at price parity. In addition, the PS4 has much better software support for the first months of 2017. Lastly, in 2015 and 2016, the XB1 exhibited larger December to January drops than the PS4.

Sony definitely has reason to be worried. With the release of the PSVR, PS4Pro, the new Slim and $250 (temporary) it's still down YoY. But what has to worry Sony the most is that ever since the XB1s has been released the XB1 has outselled the PS4. You can call that a spin if you'd like but it's simply a fact. Hopefully we'll see YoY growth next month for the PS4.