By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2016 NPD Thread! The Last Guardian and Dead Rising 4 sales up!

celador said:
Turkish said:

Hopefully PS4 never loses a month ever again.

Well it's not winning March

Sony's longterm plan is world domination for Japan. His Excellency the Glorious leader Kaz and Lord Shu won't mind ceding a month here and there for another Japanese company.

Around the Network

I'm 'more or less certain' the Switch will take March but we do have Horizon Zero Dawn and possibly the glacier white console for a nice looking bundle.

The PS5 Exists. 

Intrinsic said:
Aura7541 said:

I want to hear Soundwave's input considering he thought the XB1 would win because PS4 didn't have the benefit of the Pro's launch in December.

Be rest assured there will be plenty of spin. There is already plenty of spin in this thread already.

See, this was why I kept emphasizing the blue Gears 4 bundle in the other sales threads. I had a feeling that it had a hand at keeping the November gap small. The results for December NPD supports (but not confirm because Aqua is no longer around to disclose the sales distributions) my hypothesis.

Hiku said:

Do we have confirmation from Crapgamer that PS4 won by 2 units?
I think we can expect something like that in the next few hours.

Honestly though, if PS4 wins Jan NPD as well, then I think this means that things are back to PS4 winning every NPD again against Xbox One.

Well the Xbox One doesn't have any exclusive software announced yet that will be system seller. Maybe Forza 7 in September. 

Bandorr said:
Neodegenerate said:

I don't see a scenario where Nintendo doesn't ship enough to earn #1.  Unless the console releases on the last day of March NPD.  Then, maybe.

Mostly a joke, but well I refuse to give Nintendo any credit for now.  They are supposely shipping 2 million for march I believe?

It would be fairly hilarious if the ps4 or xb1 can sell more than that. I mean it won't happen, not in March - but still hilarious.

Oh I can only imagine the riots on the forums if that were to happen.  I want it to happen just for the hilarity.

Around the Network

The PS5 Exists. 

Turkish said:
celador said:

Well it's not winning March

Sony's longterm plan is world domination for Japan. His Excellency the Glorious leader Kaz and Lord Shu won't mind ceding a month here and there for another Japanese company.

lol, wtf did you just post

barneystinson69 said:
Neodegenerate said:

Yes.  Pointing out after being beaten for 7 out of 12 months that if you take a carefully curated view of only 6 of those 12 months that you won (ish) is in fact damage control.

Edit: Changed to 7 because didn't they win April or something?

So winning 1/2 the year is damage control? Why do people always assume it's damage control, when they stated it was up YOY and win the last 6 months of the year. It just means the holiday season was on a knife edge, and the PS4 barely won.

You like Ms really are quite good at this.

So somehow, from the total 4 months in the tail end of the year that MS won they were able to be ahead of the PS4 for the last six months of the year. Which for all we know is like what? 20-100k ahead? Thats great.

Especially when you ignoe that if you look at the whole of 2016 (like what MS should really be doing) the PS4 handily won the year. 

lets see.... jan ps4 won by 97k

feb by 152k

mar by 89k

apr, may and june were all by under 50k.

Yes, this is classical MS spin, specifically by cherry picking the one part of the year they did well in. And further more by painting it in a way that makes it look good while ignoring certain things.

bunchanumbers said:
bluedawgs said:

come up with something new other than the same old "nobody cares about game" downplay tactic, you should know by now that when quality software is released in high volume people buy systems, and these games are all exclusive which means they will be bought on the sony console, not to mention resident evil which gribblegrunger didn't list because its multiplat, will sell probably three times as much on ps4 than xbox one along with the current amazon position (which is now officially relevent again) for PS4 is #5 with Xbox One in the 20s so PS4 will, logically, take the month because we actually have evidence to support that

What? If you walked up to the street and asked people what these are how many would say PS4 games coming in January that I'm hyped for? More than likely none of them. Its great that Sony has all these 3rd party games but I doubt that it leads to an explosion of sales for these games.

Funny since Xbox fans would love all of those games since Xbox is barren the first half of this year. I know more people excited for those games and I don't even know anyone personally who owns an Xbox after 3 years. How many people were hypee for Xbox games since none have sold greatly?

Slade6alpha said:
Neodegenerate said:

Oh to generate bias because thats the agenda.  To me both companies have weak January months coming.

Yup, pretty much. And yeah, they both suck, but that makes sense as Jan is one of the worst months. 

The PS4 has Gravity Rush 2, Digimon World and KH2.8 coming out in january alone. Are they niche titles? Sure, but at least they got options and they still got RE7, Tales of Beseria and Yakuza 0 (the last two being console exclusive though) as more options. The Xbox 1 has Rise & Shine from adult swim as the only exclusive that stands out. Now, you may not like any of those exclusives/console exclusives on the PS4 and that's perfectly fine, to each their own, but how can you not recognize that Sony has a respectable showing in January compared to MS who have nothing to sure for? Hell, Gravity Rush 2 is off to a good start by critics.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian