Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS4 up YOY big time in 2017

What you think

Agreed, big time year 211 81.47%

Nah PS4 sell bad 34 13.13%

Scorpio gonna kill PS4 14 5.41%

Total:259
aLkaLiNE said:

(well... There was one in Brazil)

90%of the sales then. Also bundled games dont count.

Around the Network

omg if there is even a 25 dollar ps4 price drop..the will turn the 25 million gap into 30 or 40

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
JWeinCom said:

Kinect released in early november and pushed XBox 360 sales up by 33% that year.  If it was going to be a major seller, we should have seen some effect this year.  

No, not really.  We know less about the Scorpio and how it will perform or be marketed.  Depending on how the Scorpio is, it may be a better upgrade choice for the expanding 4K market.  There is the potential for Hololens in 2017.  Also, the XBox One install base is about half the PS4's, which means more potential customers.

Most importantly though, XBox doesn't have to sell nearly as much to be up YOY.  It will only have to sell about 10 million or so to accomplish that, and Sony will have to nearly double it.  Microsoft just has to eat away a bit at Sony's marketshare, while Sony really has to expand their market.  

All that being said, I think that XBox will be down YOY, but it has more of a chance to be up.

So you admited XB1 down YoY.  

And  I'm not interested in  yourquibbling and word play jokes . 

Admitted?  I gotta say I'm kind of confused.  I didn't say anything about whether XBox One sales would be up or down in the first place, yet you're acting as though I'm "admitting" to something.  And I don't even understand what it meanst to "admit XB1 down YOY".  Did I have some inside knowledge from the future that I was hiding?  

I'm also not sure what word play jokes you saw.  O_o... 

bluedawgs said:
JWeinCom said:

Kinect released in early november and pushed XBox 360 sales up by 33% that year.  If it was going to be a major seller, we should have seen some effect this year.  

dude psvr is supply constrained currently, it sells for at the very least $400, 500 or 600 if you dont have the camera and if you want the move contollers (i paid 630 bucks for my psvr bundle) and it has only sold around 700k to a million i'd guess, so i really don't think kinect is the same as psvr at all

The PSVR was fairly available for most of october (I know I looked) and sales were basically flat for PS4 week over week and year over year.  It could be selling more with better supply, but it's not like a PS2/Wii/NES Classic situation where there are tons of people desperately waiting.

It's clearly not a system seller like Kinect, which begs the question of why the PS4 will be up big YOY.  PSVR and Pro both seem like relatively niche products, and the price was already dropped effectively 50 dollars this holiday season.  Another pricecut will help somewhat, if Sony does one, but it isn't going to be that much bigger.

So, the games lineup will have to be enough not only to overcome the natural decline in sales, but also push out a few million more units.  If you're predicting sales of about 20 million, the games have to basically be 4-5 million hardware sales better than last year's, and they really aren't.

bluedawgs said:
Pyro as Bill said:
The days when GT could sell 10-15m every 2 years are long gone. It's been on the decline since GT3.

Is the 3m VGChartz figure for GT6 accurate?

No it is not accurate, GT6 sold over 5 million as of last year

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

Also i'm puzzled as to why you would make such a statement such as "the days when GT could sell 10-15m every 2 years are long gone" when GT5, which released in 2010, sold 11,950,000 as of last year, which means its probably over 12 million buy now. Unless you want to ignore GT6 releasing on the PS3 a month after PS4 broke records at launch its pretty obvious Gran Turismo definitely can still sell over 10 million, and PS4 is stronger than the PS3 could ever dream of and GT Sport is the first lick of Gran Turismo to hit the PS4 so expect big sales my man

It can do 10m+ just not with the same frequency, imo.

KingofTrolls said:

Vgchartz still has PS4 under 50 mil and U4 at 5.4

Isn't that upto November? Doesn't sound ridiculous.

aLkaLiNE said:

GT6 has sold >5 million. GT5 > 10 million.

GT6 came out AFTER THE PS4 but only launched on the PS3. Take it for what you will but it pulled 5 million without bundles (well... There was one in Brazil) on a last gen system while people had begun migrating to next gen. Your post is premature.

3m sounded low.

PS = 20m

PS2 = 27m

PS3 = 15m (+4m for prologue)

I don't see GT selling ~20m/gen anymore. 10m sure, maybe 15m depending on the decline.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

aLkaLiNE said:
Pyro as Bill said:
The days when GT could sell 10-15m every 2 years are long gone. It's been on the decline since GT3.

Is the 3m VGChartz figure for GT6 accurate?

GT6 has sold >5 million. GT5 > 10 million.

GT6 came out AFTER THE PS4 but only launched on the PS3. Take it for what you will but it pulled 5 million without bundles (well... There was one in Brazil) on a last gen system while people had begun migrating to next gen. Your post is premature.

This!

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Admitted?  I gotta say I'm kind of confused.  I didn't say anything about whether XBox One sales would be up or down in the first place, yet you're acting as though I'm "admitting" to something.  And I don't even understand what it meanst to "admit XB1 down YOY".  Did I have some inside knowledge from the future that I was hiding?  

bluedawgs said:

dude psvr is supply constrained currently, it sells for at the very least $400, 500 or 600 if you dont have the camera and if you want the move contollers (i paid 630 bucks for my psvr bundle) and it has only sold around 700k to a million i'd guess, so i really don't think kinect is the same as psvr at all

The PSVR was fairly available for most of october (I know I looked) and sales were basically flat for PS4 week over week and year over year.  It could be selling more with better supply, but it's not like a PS2/Wii/NES Classic situation where there are tons of people desperately waiting.

It's clearly not a system seller like Kinect, which begs the question of why the PS4 will be up big YOY.  PSVR and Pro both seem like relatively niche products, and the price was already dropped effectively 50 dollars this holiday season.  Another pricecut will help somewhat, if Sony does one, but it isn't going to be that much bigger.

So, the games lineup will have to be enough not only to overcome the natural decline in sales, but also push out a few million more units.  If you're predicting sales of about 20 million, the games have to basically be 4-5 million hardware sales better than last year's, and they really aren't.

I'm not actually arguing, at this current moment, that PSVR is going to sell a bunch of PS4's. I just saw that you mentioned PSVR when talking about PS4 barely being up year on year and i think a product that expensive, that also is completely new and not super available won't start selling really well until this year or next year

edit: also i mentioned the price cut a few times now, its pretty important, especially when you take into account that PS4 actually sold for $350 for 8 months in 2016 and got a shockingly bad $50 price cut with the slim. It was up 500k year on year (6.2 million in 2016 vs 5.7 million in 2015) with the $250 deal in the holidays with at least 400k less sales in the United States in November 2016 compared to 2015 (we still don't have december numbers but if its down by a few hundered thousand units in the United States than sales are being made up for big time somewhere else)

bluedawgs said:
JWeinCom said:

I'm not actually arguing, at this current moment, that PSVR is going to sell a bunch of PS4's. I just saw that you mentioned PSVR when talking about PS4 barely being up year on year and i think a product that expensive, that also is completely new and not super available won't start selling really well until this year or next year

I brought up the PSVR because new peripherals are traditionally a way to boost sales mid generation.  In this case, it doesn't seem like that's going to happen, so the boost would have to come from somewhere else.

JWeinCom said:
bluedawgs said:

I brought up the PSVR because new peripherals are traditionally a way to boost sales mid generation.  In this case, it doesn't seem like that's going to happen, so the boost would have to come from somewhere else.

i edited my comment and added something just so you see it

JWeinCom said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

bluedawgs said:

There was no effective $50 price drop for VR or the Pro. The only 'deal' I saw involved using a target red card (in store credit card) and they also discounted nearly the entire store one day after Black Friday. Pro and VR were part of this (like I said, store wide promotion) but neither were advertised at the discounted prices nor was it common knowledge where and how to get them for cheaper than msrp. There was no "effective" price drop for either 

Train wreck said:
The only thing that can prevent the PS4 from being up YOY is the PS4 itself. As long as the game library is there and there is an attractive new price it'll be fine (flat or +yoy) for 2017. It's a GT year so that should up the baseline in Europe, I think its more of a system seller than Uncharted.

I think people are overestimating GT at this point, the series has been getting a lot of flack from fans for being behind on tech, not fixing audio, using really dated models, removing content, poor multiplayer etc. Metascore has fallen with each installment and sales have gone down ever since GT3, to the point where GT6 is set to sell about 1/4 of GT3, on about 60-65% of the installed base, the series has clearly lost traction. The sales down from GT5 are more than halved as well, this is extremely telling of the waning relevance of the series.

Meanwhile, Uncharted has remained in the 90's on metacritic, with UC4 beating UC3 (93 vs 92) and sales of the series has been steadily climbing, to the point where UC4 has officially beat UC3's sales by about 2 million already, on a significantly smaller installed base at that. The Uncharted series has been steadily growing and has also kept its favor with fans and critics alike.

In other words; it's very, very unlikely that GT is a bigger system seller than UC, or that it's even close to as relevant today as the UC series. Discounting GT, what else will help increase sales in 2017? Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, PSVR, Slim, Pro and price cuts didn't help make 2016 as fantastic as many thought, I was considered partly insane for my "conservative" year end prediction and my refusal to "accept" that the PS4 would sell 20 million or more for the CY.

Like I said in another post; there's no secret sauce that will suddenly kickstart PS4 sales and drive them higher, most, if not all, signs point towards either more or less flat or slightly down yoy. If it drops, which it well might, I don't think it'll be a huge drop, perhaps in the 5-7% range or so. There's really no logical reason to think that the PS4 will sell more in 2017 at this point, let's not forget that it has had some really paltry competition and still failed to meet many expectations people have in here. If it hasn't flexed its muscles and showed signs of being a 20 million + a year console, it won't suddenly become that in its 4th year on the market, it appears to have flipped the PS3's curve and gone for a good start with an early but smaller decline, whereas the PS3 started slow and then basically grew for 6 years straight. For some perspective; the PS4's best year so far is only about 15-20% better than the PS3's peak year.