By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Will the Scorpio own the PS4Pro in EVERY hardware category?

Your mistake is in assuming that reply was meant for you. That's why I quoted someone else. You're but one of a handful comparing BC and PSNow in this thread :)

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Your mistake is in assuming that reply was meant for you.

He was continuing a conversation that he was a part of previously, if you follow the quotes back it links back to him. Regardless it's tiresome when people say things like "I wasn't talking to you" on a public forum. It's a dicussion where anyone can jump it at any time.

I wonder can we have a prediction thread for how many times we will see this (or a very similar thread) in the next 12 months? 2015-6 were the years of NX rumours and 2017 is going to be the year of "we'll have a super computer next year for $50" I would guess some people will bore of these by mid way through the year, but I'm fairly worried that by Jan 4th I'm already dreading the rest of the year on here.

As for the hardware comparisons, I'm hoping that no one here who said to wait for confirmation on specs of other systems while discussing this console based purely on rumour and a hopeful statement last year about a hopeful single number and a CGI shot of a PCB?

Just remember when it comes to the potential power of a Xbox system being spoken of by PR teams always remember these 2 images.

And keep in mind the end result of how that effected things for the end user in digital foundry videos comparing the systems power with and without cloud power raining more 360s into the X1.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Barkley said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Your mistake is in assuming that reply was meant for you.

He was continuing a conversation that he was a part of previously, if you follow the quotes back it links back to him. Regardless it's tiresome when people say things like "I wasn't talking to you" on a public forum. It's a dicussion where anyone can jump it at any time.

Jump in any time you like. Just don't expect me to follow everything you say when I am responding to someone else :)

Saying I missed something he said... that's not just jumping in. And no, didn't miss it, just don't care as it was irrelevant to my post. Hope that helps.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Your mistake is in assuming that reply was meant for you. That's why I quoted someone else. You're but one of a handful comparing BC and PSNow in this thread :)

Nah! You got exposed, Breh!

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
As for the hardware comparisons, I'm hoping that no one here who said to wait for confirmation on specs of other systems while discussing this console based purely on rumour and a hopeful statement last year about a hopeful single number and a CGI shot of a PCB?

We did get more then a single number, they also said the memory bandwidth would be over 320GB/s. But yeah there will be a hell of a lot of speculation threads over the next 6 months. Hopefully digital foundry leaks the full Scorpio Specs sooner rather than later.

And thanks for brining the cloud back, I missed it.

DonFerrari said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I think you're downplaying the quality of the service a little but yeah game streaming can't match the quality of playing the game from disk or hard drive.

But if costs could be why Sony don't want to use it for BC and without those costs is why we could see PS4 BC on PS5. You say that Sony can make money on remasters but it hasn't stopped MS from doing BC. 

Funnier is seeing someone dissing PSNow as a good alternative to play PS3 or prior games but believing Cloud would make X1 7x more powerfull.

Stop putting words in my mouth, DonFerrari. Not everyone who likes Xbox believes everything they say.

But please tell us your opinion about the quality and difference of playing a game native or via streaming.

SWORDF1SH said:
walsufnir said:

I said that it could be possible that instead of investing and researching bc they could just sell remasters and cut loose to ps4. MS *will* have bc but we don't know how much people care about that. I don't say there is any benefit besides from a user point of view to carry your existing games over in an ecosystem.

I see your point. Do you think Sony would have to invest much to get PS4 games working on PS5? Or will using similar architecture for PS5 make PS4 games work on it with minimal fuss.

Usually I would have said no. But: Sony is allowing devs to code to the hardware to a point where it seems to be a problem with exact timings when the system is not exactly behaving like it should. That is why the Pro goes *completely* in PS4 mode - it is behaving *exactly* like it has to. According to Cerny because of compatibility reasons.

This doesn't seem to be the case with Xbox - MS has also a low-level API but still is able to abstract from this level to get games to run on different hardware, like we can see on the 360 emulator and Scorpio is already said to be not only compatible with Xbo games but will also be able to run the games better (how this turns out, we will of course see when the console arrives).

So MS seems to have a software side solution while Sony seemed to "solve" the problem with changing the hardware setup on demand which actually works for the Pro BUT PS5 will not use Jaguar processors, it will be a new CPU architecture with different timings, caches and internal behavior. You can't mimic an old processor with a new processor.

With PC people actually think this happens but it doesn't - the software does the trick for you. I don't say Sony cannot solve that problem also with software in the end but the Pro and the way it behaves is a sign that this isn't easy for Sony to do and they didn't solve it for the Pro.

SWORDF1SH said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think you mean PS Now and a rental streaming service isn't the same as X1 BC. I wouldn't use X1 BC if I had to pay rental fees.

But lets move on, its obvious where this discussion is going.

Again! So?

PS Now brings PS3 games to PS4.

We do know where this is going. You're losing the argument so you try to play down the one library by finding a difference. But truth is that difference doesn't change the fact that PS Now expands the PS4 library. 

There is a big difference between X1 BC and PS Now.

Those differences are why nobody talks about PS Now.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

walsufnir said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I see your point. Do you think Sony would have to invest much to get PS4 games working on PS5? Or will using similar architecture for PS5 make PS4 games work on it with minimal fuss.

Usually I would have said no. But: Sony is allowing devs to code to the hardware to a point where it seems to be a problem with exact timings when the system is not exactly behaving like it should. That is why the Pro goes *completely* in PS4 mode - it is behaving *exactly* like it has to. According to Cerny because of compatibility reasons.

This doesn't seem to be the case with Xbox - MS has also a low-level API but still is able to abstract from this level to get games to run on different hardware, like we can see on the 360 emulator and Scorpio is already said to be not only compatible with Xbo games but will also be able to run the games better (how this turns out, we will of course see when the console arrives).

So MS seems to have a software side solution while Sony seemed to "solve" the problem with changing the hardware setup on demand which actually works for the Pro BUT PS5 will not use Jaguar processors, it will be a new CPU architecture with different timings, caches and internal behavior. You can't mimic an old processor with a new processor.

With PC people actually think this happens but it doesn't - the software does the trick for you. I don't say Sony cannot solve that problem also with software in the end but the Pro and the way it behaves is a sign that this isn't easy for Sony to do and they didn't solve it for the Pro.

Thank you for the info. I understand why you think Sony might not invest time and money into BC.