By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I think Nintendo Switch is set for another Wii U disaster.

Rumors... rumors... rumors....
People should really wait and see what The Switch is all about before jumping on conclusions. So far we have nothing but rumors rumors rumors..

I´d say that The Switch is not a direct competitor to both PS4/XboxOne. It´s more likely to fill the shoes of the 3ds: to work as a secondary console for most gamers.

If installments of such huge franchises like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario, Fire Emblem. Metroid, Yokai Watch, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, SMT etc. etc. come to this device, as they came to the 3ds, it won´t be nearly a disaster.

Remember: the Switch is meant to unite all Nintendo productions in a single device. So we won´t have a WiiU+3ds situation with it.

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
zorg1000 said:

Nintendo also said DS wasnt a successor to GBA.

Im not mentally retarded and have the capacity to read between the lines.

Thanks  for  personally  attacking  me and calling  me mentally  retarded :) 

hmmm?????? That certainly never happened

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Some argument that pops up doesn't quite make sense to me, that is "Switch is the 3DS successor, so for sure it will be more successful than Wii U'.

If we're talking about replacing Wii U and the 3DS, then anything less than the combined sales of Wii U + 3DS is a continued generational decline.

DS + Wii = ~255 million units = Nintendo printing money
3DS + Wii U = ~80 million units = Nintendo starving

If Switch is Nintendo's solution for both console and portable, then expectations need to be way way higher than looking at the Wii U numbers.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
Some argument that pops up doesn't quite make sense to me, that is "Switch is the 3DS successor, so for sure it will be more successful than Wii U'.

If we're talking about replacing Wii U and the 3DS, then anything less than the combined sales of Wii U + 3DS is a continued generational decline.

DS + Wii = ~255 million units
3DS + Wii U = ~80 million units

If Switch is Nintendo's solution for both console and portable, then expectations need to be way way higher than looking at the Wii U numbers.

Thats taking what people say out of context.

Alot of the comments are, "without multiplats, Switch will sell as bad as Wii U".

The rebuttle to that is 3DS lacked multiplats so mulitplats are not 100% needed for a device to sell well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
ICStats said:

DS + Wii = ~255 million units
3DS + Wii U = ~80 million units

Alot of the comments are, "without multiplats, Switch will sell as bad as Wii U".

The rebuttle to that is 3DS lacked multiplats so mulitplats are not 100% needed for a device to sell well.

But don't you think it's relevant when talking about success or disaster?

Say hypothetically Switch sells 60 million.  That would be a respectable success as a console business, but it would be a disaster as Nintendo's console + portable combined business.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
ICStats said:
zorg1000 said:

Say hypothetically Switch sells 60 million.  That would be a respectable success as a console business, but it would be a disaster as Nintendo's console + portable combined business.

60 million would be fine given the modern market. It's enough systems for Nintendo to make a large profit from and software would go up because they'd have all their big games on one system, the only time Nintendo has had 60+ million users for their "big" games was the NES or Wii. 

People need to stop adding together Nintendo's portable and console userbase as if its some distinct audience, it never has been. There's always been huge overlap, of the 14 million Wii U owners, wouldn't surprise me at all if only 4-5 million of them don't also own a 3DS. 

So that makes your "actual" Nintendo audience only about 65 million users, and given that the Switch has to compete in a much harsher climate where smartphones and tablets are everywhere and cheap from day 1, 60 million would be a good target for Nintendo to aim for, and even 60 million won't be easy. 

Only the top tier most successful game platforms ever surpass 60 million units sold. 

Lol that Ubisoft guy doesn't even know the specs.

xl-klaudkil said:
zorg1000 said:

Well alot of "real" gamers are idiots.

Noo, the wii whas by far Nintendo's weakest gen.

Too much casual sport,wii balance board crap.

As a longtime gaming enthusiast, I rank it as their second best console. Are you saying I am not a "real gamer"?

ICStats said:
zorg1000 said:

Certainly, obviously if Switch has a big decline from 3DS+Wii U than that would be very bad

Thats different from what I said though.

ICStats said:
zorg1000 said:

But what if most of the people who owned Wii/Wii U also had a DS/3DS? Not really sure you can say anything less then the combined sales of both are a failure.