By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is FF13 still a good excuse for FF15 poor performance in Japan?

BraLoD said:

You would cry like a lil' bitch

No! I would cry like a big strong man because that's what I am!

Around the Network
invetedlotus123 said:
The problem in Japan is not a console or another, the thing is the console market shrinked a lot in favor of handelheds in last years, and than the handelhed market is srhinking in favor of smartphones. So, Japan is not a dead market, but it`s a shadow of it`s former self and it will be for many years to come.

And this is the very reason japanese developers tried so hard to break into western markets in the last gen and this gen. And FF brand is hurt not just by FF XIII sequels, but also because in the last years there were a stream of half baked games using FF brand to sell some easy copies, hell, we even got a FF game generated automatically for Wii.

Japanese AAA games future depends on selling well on West. With the exception of some very specific franchises like DQ, Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Yokai Watch and etc., getting a million copies sold in Japan will get harder by the day.

You're on point!

No, like others have said Yakuza has been slowly declining since number 4 and Final Fantasy has been in a constant decline since 8 or 9, excluding spinoffs, MMO & direct sequels.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Cloudman said:
Perhaps it is, since FF13 really is such a bad game and they even continued making games under that title, but it can also be just console games seemingly being on a decline, as well as the game focusing on an all boy cast. Guys are probably not that crazy about an all guy cast. There may not be as many fujoshi to pick up the slack on sales as well, haha.

I guess that's why its sequels sold so well in Japan. 

badgenome said:

Yes. It just proves that FF13 sucked so bad that it killed Yakuza, too.

Lol :D

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
think-man said:
Cloudman said:
Perhaps it is, since FF13 really is such a bad game and they even continued making games under that title, but it can also be just console games seemingly being on a decline, as well as the game focusing on an all boy cast. Guys are probably not that crazy about an all guy cast. There may not be as many fujoshi to pick up the slack on sales as well, haha.

I guess that's why its sequels sold so well in Japan. 

Did it, tho? FFXIII-2 sold less than 1m on all consoles in Japan. By comparison, FFX-2 sold over 2m. 

bigtakilla said:

I think the decline of interest in jrpgs may finally be reaching the Final Fantasy series, and to a degree it does have to do with the decline in quality over the entirety of last gen. XIII was a massive disappointment. XIV was a disaster and people were fired for it and a new team set up to release ARR. ARR could be the greatest thing since sliced bread but it doesn't undo the damage of the original release.

Now look at XV, it's still a gaint mess as well, filled with half baked ideas in hopes that fans come back. S-E has still not recovered from Soraya Saga, Takahashi and Sakaguchi leaving.

It would be amazing if they actually wrote a book about all hierarchy changes, and the way they approach development now comparitively to how they did in their heyday of Snes PS1 and PS2 days.

Yet worldwide sales suprassed FFXIII even with a weaker Japan

badgenome said:

I missed you while you were gone.

Carl2291 said:
badgenome said:

I missed you while you were gone.

He was killed by FF13 as well. This is his ghost, and it's just as funny.

Ruler said:
bigtakilla said:

I think the decline of interest in jrpgs may finally be reaching the Final Fantasy series, and to a degree it does have to do with the decline in quality over the entirety of last gen. XIII was a massive disappointment. XIV was a disaster and people were fired for it and a new team set up to release ARR. ARR could be the greatest thing since sliced bread but it doesn't undo the damage of the original release.

Now look at XV, it's still a gaint mess as well, filled with half baked ideas in hopes that fans come back. S-E has still not recovered from Soraya Saga, Takahashi and Sakaguchi leaving.

It would be amazing if they actually wrote a book about all hierarchy changes, and the way they approach development now comparitively to how they did in their heyday of Snes PS1 and PS2 days.

Yet worldwide sales suprassed FFXIII even with a weaker Japan

Kinda misleading because no other Final Fantasy has ever launched worldwide simultaenously.