By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [New Poll] Will you buy multiplatform games on Switch or PS4/XBO/PC?

Will you buy multiplats on Switch or PS4/XBO/PC if you own both systems?

Switch 270 37.04%

PS4/XBO/PC 331 45.40%

Won't own a Switch 109 14.95%

Won't own a PS4/XBO/PC 19 2.61%

Total:729
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nogamez said:

So your saying according to you I cant buy skyrim or Assasiins Creed on Switch if they release? 

No. Most people who have the switch will look elsewhere to play multiplatform games. Nintendo even admitted that the Wii U  was a secondary console. I was talking about the overall outcome not the individual decision. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

This thread is specifically about VGC user preferences. Mainstream consumers have historically chosen convenience over power. All the Switch needs is to be powerful enough to run Gen 8 games at a mainstream-accepted clip. Don't underestimate the amount of people who will chose portability over graphical bells and whistles.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
archer9234 said:
Sure. As long as 100% identical. In graphics and features. I couldn't even buy Shovel Knight, on Wii U. Because crap was locked to Amiibo.

So only indies then? I don't think you'll see anything but that with "100% identical graphics." Switch versions will likely lie very comfortably at the bottom of the graphics spectrum.

Anything that is 100%. I just gave Shovel Knight as an example. Where they still didn't get it right. For example. If Teltale released complete disc releases on Wii U. I would of bought them. Since the PS4 etc. version are only season pass discs. And that's what I expect. So I won't bother buying the games, except on my PS4.

It really depends. I plan to use the Switch mainly as a handheld, so I would get games on the PS4 if:
- It's an online game, so no point in having mobility.
- It's pushing graphics and looks too good on PS4, so I would get the better looking version.
- Switch version has too low fps/resolution.

Honestly, that makes a case for getting most on PS4, but some are really more playable on a portable device. So I would say that 95% of my multiplats would still be on PS4, with the rest of them plus Nintendo exclusives on the Switch.

PS (off-topic).: I hate the name "Switch". It's terrible. Like, beyond terrible. I understand what it means, but it sounds ridiculously stupid. NX would have been much better and that's probably the first time that the final name of a console is worse than it's prototype name.

Ps4 or pc, doesn't make sense to buy multiplats on the least capable hardware, especially when pc versions will more than likely be significantly cheaper.

NATO said:

Ps4 or pc, doesn't make sense to buy multiplats on the least capable hardware, especially when pc versions will more than likely be significantly cheaper.

If you don't value portability, that's it.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
NATO said:

If I did I could just use a NVIDIA shield tablet to both play steam games remotely and to play ps4 remotely.

Nintendo's gimmick/hook for Switch fails to hit the mark in offering alternative ways to play the same games so third party titles don't benefit from being on the switch beyond playing them on the go, which is possible on steam/ps4 for people that care to do so anyway.

torok said:

PS (off-topic).: I hate the name "Switch". It's terrible. Like, beyond terrible. I understand what it means, but it sounds ridiculously stupid. NX would have been much better and that's probably the first time that the final name of a console is worse than it's prototype name.

Switch is fine. NX is just nonsense letter's and would have never been a considered name for a successful consumer product.

NATO said:
Goodnightmoon said:

If I did I could just use a NVIDIA shield tablet to both play steam games remotely and to play ps4 remotely.

Nintendo's gimmick/hook for Switch fails to hit the mark in offering alternative ways to play the same games so third party titles don't benefit from being on the switch beyond playing them on the go, which is possible on steam/ps4 for people that care to do so anyway.

Or you can buy a Switch and have the games run natively on a mainstream gaming system. It hits its mark better than anything else. It's just about if you value that mark.

Pyro as Bill said:
Buying cassettes and CDs for your Hi-Fi instead of MP3s for your iPod.

Get with the times people.

But you are missing one aspect here, if you are refering to buying the cassettes and CD's being for the Switch and the MP3's being the quality of ps4/x1 and PC hardware..

Just think, regardless of if it would play the best quality of mp3 in the universe, would you stick with the HiFi system which is wired into your home system only... or would you accept tapes and cd quality on the go for music if that was your only option for it.

As Spemanig has said here, it's not just about power of the system but the convience of being able to play it where you want to, that in itself holds a lot of value regardless of the potential for lesser graphical power.

I'll be honest when it comes down to buying games on the ps4 now, a lot of them I end up playing Vita the Vita's remote play function which isn't exactly ideal in terms of input latency and buttons not all being present (R2/3 and L2/3 missing) but if there was a cross platform game which was on the Switch and the PS4 there is every chance I would take the Switch version just so I don't have to tie up 2 devices to get it working "portably" and can walk more than 20 feet from the PS4 and continue to enjoy the same game if I want to.

Tapes on the Go > mp3's stuck in the sitting room imo.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

spemanig said:

Switch is fine. NX is just nonsense letter's and would have never been a considered name for a successful consumer product.

Wii is also kind of nonsense. DS has a meaning, but nobody in the mainstream market probably really knows it. Switch looks lazy and does not sound good. Nintendo usually gets naming right (Wii, Gamecube, N64, Gameboy),  but they also have a lot of poor showings such as Super Nintendo (come on, it would just be worse if N64 was called Hyper Nintendo), 3DS and Wii U. Switch lacks personality, it lacks imagination.

NX isn't a superb name, but at least it kinda sticks. N for Nintendo, X is usually associated with misterious or advanced products. It's not that bad.

Being a bit off-topic: as far as naming goes, Nintendo gets it right more often than not. I won't count Famicom since it's Japan only, even if it was pretty bad. Gameboy was their absolute best. It's really, really good. I'm still pissed they replaced it with DS.

Sony just invented one single awesome name and keep using it. The only time they screwed up was with the Vita. PlayStation Vita. Like, in "life"? Why? Is it supposed to make everyone feel alive or something? It doesn't make any sense, it's just a random latin word. The rest lacks imagination, but at least PlayStations sounds pretty cool. PS4 Pro is a bit lame.

MS normally has terrible ideas. Xbox isn't a good name (it came from DirectXbox, so it could be worse). So, they made a console, it looked like a box and had an "X" slapped on it, I get it. Xbox 360 is a lot of nonsense. Why 360? If it's because of the circle used in the console, it basically is a reminder of the biggest problems they had in the begining. Xbox One reaches a new level of nonsense since now we have to refer to Xbox 1 as OG Xbox or something like that. They are the naming successor of Atari (2600, 5200, 7800 really? Jaguar at least is kinda cool).

Sega had some great names such as Master System, Genesis, Mega Drive, Game Gear and their top 1 Dreamcast. But they also had Saturn, 32X and Sega CD.

Of course, I'm not saying that anyone of these consoles with stupid names are bad. Most are great. And of course, some of them only had good names but were indeed crappy.