By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yooka-Laylee launches April 11th, Wii U version cancelled, most likely coming to Switch

Today we can finally confirm that Yooka-Laylee will launch on April 11, 2017 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, Mac and Linux, with pre-orders now available at £34.99 / $39.99 / €39.99 for non-Kickstarter backers in both digital and physical formats from all participating stores worldwide!

After many challenging months, we’re finally able to update you on the Wii U version of Yooka-Laylee and announce a number of developments.

The Playtonic team is sad to confirm that despite our best efforts and exploring every possible avenue, we’ve encountered unforeseen technical issues that unfortunately mean it will be impossible for us to release the game on Wii U as initially planned.

Soon to see 80% increase in nonsense puns.

We can however confirm the exciting news that we are now working very closely with Nintendo to look to bring Yooka-Laylee to the upcoming Nintendo Switch. We’re looking forward to exploring the opportunity and will have more details to share early next year (Nintendo Switch event!?).

We’d like to apologise to those affected by this development and offer all Wii U backers the opportunity to move their pledge free-of-charge to any of the versions launching on April 11th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Mac or Linux) or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further details in 2017.

http://www.playtonicgames.com/yooka-laylee-reptile-rolls-towards-release/

I call this "encountered unforeseen technical issues" for Wii U version clear BS, its obvious they dont want to release game on console that is already dead and instead they will releasing it on new console.

Around the Network

Oh, wow, really? Out of all the indie games the WiiU had left, I thought Yooka Laylee would be the one to not get cancelled. The WiiU situation sure is awful. Can we get, at the very least, a retail Switch version?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Oh... a lot of people on here were saying they were looking forward to picking it up on WiiU, as one of their last games on the system.

£34.99 is a little bit more expensive then I thought it would be, but I'm definitely going to pick it up. Love the look of this game and hope to see more of its kind.

Darwinianevolution said:
Oh, wow, really? Out of all the indie games the WiiU had left, I thought Yooka Laylee would be the one to not get cancelled. The WiiU situation sure is awful. Can we get, at the very least, a retail Switch version?

"We can however confirm the exciting news that we are now working very closely with Nintendo to look to bring Yooka-Laylee to the upcoming Nintendo Switch. We’re looking forward to exploring the opportunity and will have more details to share early next year".

Its sounds almost certain, early next year details screams Nintendo Switch event.

40 euros... Damn I should have backed that game...

Around the Network

Welp, guess it was pretty much inevitable for the Wii U.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

And they realized about this technical issues... now? Like... this thing has been in development for years. And 4 months away from realease they say they can't do it?

I'm sorry, but you're lying.

Vodacixi said:
And they realized about this technical issues... now? Like... this thing has been in development for years. And 4 months away from realease they say they can't do it?

It's Project Cars all over again...

Ok really, just say it was a financial decision. No one is buying the technical issue line these days.

At least Wii U backers can move their pledge copy to any current system or move it to switch for free. As opposed to say, canceling the Wii U version without ever having one in the works after getting a big publisher and flipping off the audience who mainly fueled your hype machine with a dismissive and condescending tweet. You know, just as a random hypothetical example.

Frustrating. It really shakes my faith in kickstarter and the indie scene in general. What made indies so important is that they weren't supposed to do crap like this. It was supposed to be my last Wii U game before I retired from Nintendo.