By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto wants to put more energy into Star Fox, Pikmin

bdbdbd said:
@Spemanig: Isn't one one the games an Atlus game, one is a port from Gamecube and only one is Nintendo's own original Wii U game? Haven't played any of the games on Wii U, but if you can play the games with the Wii U Classic Controller without Wii U gamepad, I guess the game may not be so gimmicky.

Tropical Freeze didn't use the Gamepad's features at all. Plenty of other games could be played without the Gamepad; most third party ports, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, NSMBU, Smash Bros, Yoshi's Woolly World...

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
bdbdbd said:
@Spemanig: Isn't one one the games an Atlus game, one is a port from Gamecube and only one is Nintendo's own original Wii U game? Haven't played any of the games on Wii U, but if you can play the games with the Wii U Classic Controller without Wii U gamepad, I guess the game may not be so gimmicky.

Tropical Freeze didn't use the Gamepad's features at all. Plenty of other games could be played without the Gamepad; most third party ports, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, NSMBU, Smash Bros, Yoshi's Woolly World...

I think he was talking specifically about games that used the gamepad heavily.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Oh, my bad. I misinterpreted it as him saying all Wii U games were gimmicky.

curl-6 said:

spemanig said:

Like Spemanig said. All, as in not literally all, and specifically first party games, and games that require you to use the gamepad. What I mean, is that gamepad was obviously put into Wii U before anyone could think of how it could be used, so Nintendo tries to invent different ways to make some use for it. Typically, the core gameplay is good, but it's ruined by the mandatory use of gamepad into something secondary, think of Splatoon and Star Fox Guard. Both would be better games without the gamepad and Wii Remote + Nunchuck could make them great games.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

They miss their chance, Star Fox can be so great but I don't know what type of game or audience they were aiming with SFZ. Star Fox could be easly a big multiplayer game with 16 player space battles, 3rd person shooter with sci fi and funny characters, heck it could have open world like exploration of planets, there is a lot of room for imagination if you use Sci-Fi Space setting. There is a lot of untapped potential for SF multiplayer, story and gameplay wise.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
curl-6 said:

spemanig said:

Like Spemanig said. All, as in not literally all, and specifically first party games, and games that require you to use the gamepad. What I mean, is that gamepad was obviously put into Wii U before anyone could think of how it could be used, so Nintendo tries to invent different ways to make some use for it. Typically, the core gameplay is good, but it's ruined by the mandatory use of gamepad into something secondary, think of Splatoon and Star Fox Guard. Both would be better games without the gamepad and Wii Remote + Nunchuck could make them great games.

Personally, I thought Splatoon was already great when played with the gyro, but yes, Wiimote + Nunchuk would have been even better.

The pad added little to nothing to most titles. I did like it in games like Fatal Frame 5 and Xenoblade Chronicles X, but for the most part it was a solution in search of a problem.

RolStoppable said:
I want to punch Miyamoto in the face.

We all wanted to do that at some point.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Miyamoto talks the talk but when it comes to certain franchises, it is clear he and several folks at Nintendo have no idea why they are popular and only look for ways to 'improve' what doesn't need to be improved due to either their own conceptions or that of the vocal (but shrinking) Japanese gaming public.

F-Zero and Star Fox could have had stellar versions on the Wii had they dedicated some time or the right development team. But instead we get more casual affairs and two pretty decent franchises are left on the vine to rot.

Star Fox Zero was a tech demo they stuck the Star Fox brand on, then brought in Platinum games at the last half because they knew they didn't have enough with their central idea of the gamepad being the motion control to aim. Which honestly was the worst idea of using the Gamepad during gameplay for a game like Star Fox, but once again they have no idea why the franchise and especially Star Fox 64 was so loved.

Unless the next Star Fox game is being headed up by Sakurai, Platinum Games or Retro from the start I can't say I will be that anticipated unless the first trailer blows me out the water.

NoirSon said:
Miyamoto talks the talk but when it comes to certain franchises, it is clear he and several folks at Nintendo have no idea why they are popular and only look for ways to 'improve' what doesn't need to be improved due to either their own conceptions or that of the vocal (but shrinking) Japanese gaming public.

F-Zero and Star Fox could have had stellar versions on the Wii had they dedicated some time or the right development team. But instead we get more casual affairs and two pretty decent franchises are left on the vine to rot.

Star Fox Zero was a tech demo they stuck the Star Fox brand on, then brought in Platinum games at the last half because they knew they didn't have enough with their central idea of the gamepad being the motion control to aim. Which honestly was the worst idea of using the Gamepad during gameplay for a game like Star Fox, but once again they have no idea why the franchise and especially Star Fox 64 was so loved.

Unless the next Star Fox game is being headed up by Sakurai, Platinum Games or Retro from the start I can't say I will be that anticipated unless the first trailer blows me out the water.

After Zero, I don't think we can expect another Starfox game for a long time.

AZWification said:
RolStoppable said:
I want to punch Miyamoto in the face.

We all wanted to do that at some point.

That's pretty excessive. I guess some people think that for all developers at one point.