By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fighting game rosters: the smaller the better! Tekken 7 rant!

Turkish said:
Xxain said:
I dont mind smaller, balanced rosters btw, just your reasoning for it is ridiculous.

I mean in Tekken 3 every character felt different, like Eddy Gordo, no one like him. Everyone felt unique to play which is why it's so fun.

Fast forward to today, many new characters feel the same, with little variations here and different animations there.

I'm just a casual playa, posting observations from my POV.

Quoted for truth, so so heavily. Every post in this thread - from anime designs and inspiration to a bunch of meh characters, I agree.

Around the Network

Nope. Give me my tekken 7 with a large roster so I can build up a squad of my favorite characters to cycle through . It's bad enough that we had to wait two years for the game to drop on consoles because of  the stupid Pokémon fighter. There are still plenty of characters for newbs like Eddy Gordo and Alicia (among others). Tekken fans outside of Japanese arcades have waited long enough for another Tekken game.

Sometimes, "less is not more". I like having a lot options to choose from. Even if I only play a handful.

King of Fighters XIV has a 50 man roster and the best fighter this year. Yes sometimes bigger leads to a less balanced game.

Dr. Bosconovitch vs Gon FTW.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

My first fighting game was Tekken 3 on the PS1 too. ^^
In the Tekken series every character has an unique move-set and background story imo. I love to see a big roster in Tekken because it brings variety to the gameplay. There are so many different fighting styles than ever before in Tekken, why should we complain about it? Just play a round online and you will know what I mean. :P

Hiku said:
Turkish said:

I mean in Tekken 3 every character felt different, like Eddy Gordo, no one like him. Everyone felt unique to play which is why it's so fun.

Fast forward to today, many new characters feel the same, with little variations here and different animations there.

I'm just a casual playa, posting observations from my POV.

Well, Nina and Anna were fairly similar. But which new characters do you think are similar to which characters?

What are you basing your conclusion on? Because if you look at the Tekken 7 roster I posted, the only characters who are similar are Kazuya, Heihachi and Devil Jin. And these days the similarities between them are few. No one else has a similar counterpart on the character select screen.

Wait where's Marduk and armor king. Is they're story over?!! That was the most interesting thing going on in tekken storyline wise.

Anyways when I think of anime. I think of a middle eastern men.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Turkish said:

I enjoyed its simplicity, but looking at Tekken 7, it just doesn't move me. Who are all these characters?

Just give me a smaller roster, where characters all feel unique. Kuma and Panda are basically the same character with a different skin.

I hate Kuma... to play against and play as, I never got him. But what do you mean? like 90% of the characters in it are the same old set...except no Baek. But there is a reason for this... below.

Hiku said:

Actually, Tekken 7 is trying to minimize the roster. I remember Harada talking about that. T7 started off with a much smaller roster than the previous game, Tekken Tag 2, which had around 59 characters.
Of course, the game has been out for a while now in the arcades and they've systematically added more characters to the roster.
They're gonna want to at least add most of the established favorites, some of which came after Tekken 3, and of course you have to have a few new ones.

Harada said in an interview that the reason why there are streamlining the line up was very simple, he wanted each character to have their own fighting style, so each character felt different. The ones you see in the game are the one I guess they felt as most unique in feel to how they play, so we won't be getting anymore Eddy and Kristie (and I just realised they aren't in it... wth).

Has anyone mentioned this before? The idea of making each fighter individual?

SnakeDrake said:

Wait where's Marduk and armor king. Is they're story over?!! That was the most interesting thing going on in tekken storyline wise.

Armour King is basically King just more violent, you only really need King, not both. Marduk though, don't know but others are missing as well. Harada did update Tag 2 quite often and for free too, giving us new characters to play, they might release other characters as updates later.

I mean Lei is still not part of the roster, that's weird. If any character has a unique fighting style, it's him.

Hmm, pie.

COKTOE said:
Dr. Bosconovitch vs Gon FTW.                                     

I actually got pretty good at Dr B. The whole rolling around on the floor was fun.

Hmm, pie.

Im ok with small rosters aslong as the fighters are unique. One reason why i love KI.