By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft lying again, ''HDR only on Xbox One S this Holidays''

Barkley said:
UnderstatedCornHole said:

Would you be upset with a statement like "The only console with Mario & Sonic" even though Sonic was not exclusive to Nintendo?

Probably not, it's a weird one. For some reason it being a shorter and broader statement makes it less misleading to me. If they stated specific games, but as they don't I don't really take immediate issue with that statement.

I agree with you on both fronts if I'm really honest, it's certainly a subliminal thing when it comes to Mario and Sonic.

I guess that is an extreme example as Sonic has been synonymous with Sega for years and likewise Nintendo.

You could go back 7-8 years and GTA would likely have same feeling I guess as it was associated with PS2 back then.

I think MS has been using that type of wording for a good while now though, that kind of awkward wording that doesn't sound natural and stinks of PR, still it has the effect it desires I think, can't really complain too much. After all we had have Teh PoWr of Da CELL a while ago. I'm yet to use my PS3 as a computer to this day! :D

Note to mods ^ tongue in cheek last sentence.

Around the Network

they sure like to play with intersectionof groups

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

walsufnir said:
hunter_alien said:

I am a hungarian yet still believe that you do not know the meaning of the words that you use? Many? No, not many, but the wast majority. In masse? Yes I trully think we can call that when you are outselling your closest competitor 2:1. Not based on anything? Have you been to the main page of this exact site we are on? Have you seen the level of interest the PS brand generates on major tech and gaming? Have you seen just how badly the Xbox brand is doing on a global scvale when it comes down to brand recognition?

Lets not insult each other anymore, I think we all know these facts and its needless to bring them up every time.

Yes, let's stop it because we have way too different points but:

Have you seen the level of interest the PS brand generates on major tech and gaming?

Yes, I have. PSVita, move controllers, PSVR, PSVue, just to name a few. Sony is trying to associate PS with a lot of products but it almost only works for the home console.

Well I cannot disagree with that, the PS4 is obviously the working horse of Sony. Except the PSP I dont think there was any other PS branded device that was not a home console and what I would consider successfull. PS Now might become one, but that is waaaaay far out thereand I have serious doubts about it.

The same can be said about MS as well. Games for Windows Live and Xbox on Windows 10 are pretty much dead. The only hardware producer who might successfully pull it off is Nintendo with their mobile space expansion, as their evergreen IP's might actually stand a chance IMO.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Intrinsic said:
vivster said:
I miss the time a few weeks ago when console people didn't know that HDR existed.

I miss the time when gaming to everyone was all about sprites. Now we have PC folk talking about shaders, tesselation, AA, AF, AOglobal illumination, 4k, 8k, supersam...... yh you get the idea. 

PC folks were talking about these things even in the time of sprites. I don't know what time you miss there.

AA, 4K, HDR, FLOPS, FPS etc. didn't even exist before this generation and people were called stupid for mentioning those things instead of "just playing the games". Now that someone respectable, i.e. some Sony/MS/Nintendo console gods, mentioned it, it's the most important thing in the world and the best ammunition the console war ever had.

Then again, nothing has really changed. While there is a whole lot more of techno babble today in the console space as soon as someone mentions technology that goes beyond the capability of consoles it's unimportant again.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Intrinsic said:

I miss the time when gaming to everyone was all about sprites. Now we have PC folk talking about shaders, tesselation, AA, AF, AOglobal illumination, 4k, 8k, supersam...... yh you get the idea. 

PC folks were talking about these things even in the time of sprites. I don't know what time you miss there.

AA, 4K, HDR, FLOPS, FPS etc. didn't even exist before this generation and people were called stupid for mentioning those things instead of "just playing the games". Now that someone respectable, i.e. some Sony/MS/Nintendo console gods, mentioned it, it's the most important thing in the world and the best ammunition the console war ever had.

Then again, nothing has really changed. While there is a whole lot more of techno babble today in the console space as soon as someone mentions technology that goes beyond the capability of consoles it's unimportant again.

The techno babble is at an all time low from my memory, apart from the odd FLOPS mentioning by MS/Sony, they don't use it in marketing material for the casual end user, you don't see it in magazines.

Nobody remember the allegedly "64-bit" Jaguar? (actually a 16-bit console)

Heck even the 32x was called that because it was 32-bit along with the Nintendo 64. There used to be full spread adverts on perpetual rotation in the gaming mags in the late 90s decrying the cartridge and how good it was to have 650MB of data available on a CD-ROM.

Wheras 32-bit/64-bit/CD-ROM LITERALLY meant absolutely nothing as they are technologies that need to be exploited further, they are merely hypothetical potentials.

AA/4K/HDR are actually real things that can be seen as tangible improvments that weren't possible previously to the standard that they are now possible.

Around the Network

Sony should just do the same

"This holiday, PS4 is the only console with HDR, Call of Duty, Watchdogs 2, Battlefield 1 and PSVR"

UnderstatedCornHole said:

AA/4K/HDR are actually real things that can be seen as tangible improvments that weren't possible previously to the standard that they are now possible.

You mean as opposed to FPS above 30?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.