By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take-Two: Nintendo “making a great effort to support third-party developers”, “optimistic” about Switch

mountaindewslave said:
Soundwave said:
If they're making "great efforts" then we should see "great results", but my guess is this'll be a lot like the Wii U ... some major third party games, but many missing. Like where's GTA Take 2? Why can't that be there on day 1?

come off it, Nintendo is never going to want a  GTA game on their system. Like it or hate it, they have limited regarding adult games. Skyrim is one thing, GTA is another. Too much damage possibly to their family demographic.

certainly there are better signs than the Wii U, you didn't have tons of big publishers specifically saying back then "Nintendo is working hard to make the device EASY for us to bring games to", because the opposite was the case.

It seems to be a gut reaction for a lot of you to say "this will be just like the Wii U with third party developers!" but we specifically are hearing them say things they never have said before in terms of the easy of architecture and hardware for porting games. 

This is possibly newfound territory for Nintendo

The Wii U had Mass Effect 3 with sex scenes and Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge with even more gore so I don't think it will be the case

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:
Soundwave said:
If they're making "great efforts" then we should see "great results", but my guess is this'll be a lot like the Wii U ... some major third party games, but many missing. Like where's GTA Take 2? Why can't that be there on day 1?

come off it, Nintendo is never going to want a  GTA game on their system. Like it or hate it, they have limited regarding adult games. Skyrim is one thing, GTA is another. Too much damage possibly to their family demographic.

certainly there are better signs than the Wii U, you didn't have tons of big publishers specifically saying back then "Nintendo is working hard to make the device EASY for us to bring games to", because the opposite was the case.

It seems to be a gut reaction for a lot of you to say "this will be just like the Wii U with third party developers!" but we specifically are hearing them say things they never have said before in terms of the easy of architecture and hardware for porting games. 

This is possibly newfound territory for Nintendo

Nintendo would very happy to have GTA on their platform, they want their platform has much wider appealing is possible, DS already had GTA, and Nintendo already had very mature games before (all RE games, ZombiE wars launch title..).

Saying that, that doenst mean that Switch want get some GTA game in future.

burninmylight said:
Jumpin said:
I am not sure the logic going through people's heads.
"Take 2 isn't actually developing games for the Switch, so instead they're doing PR for the console."
That makes no logical sense.

It's not as bad as the people that shat bricks when Nintendo said that the games in the Switch unveil trailer like Skyrim and 2K weren't confirmed, even though it makes absolutely no sense for Nintendo to be giving Skrym and and 2K free advertising if they aren't coming to the Switch.

I can see a bit of a motivation for the other thing. Nintendo showing what is possible. Kind of like the FF8 demo on PS2, or the FF7 demo on PS3. But at the same time, Nintendo would have required permission, and with Square on PS2 and 3, it was already weird considering those games weren't actually coming, but imagine if Square wasn't actually developing any games for PS2 or 3?

Which is why the arguments on earlier pages make zero sense to me. The argument breaks down to an unrelated company deciding to do PR for the Nintendo Switch when that company supposedly has no interest in the console or Nintendo. What would the point of Take 2 doing PR on behalf of their competition?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I don't remember Take Two talking about the Wii U like this, so this is good news, however, I'll believe it when I see it.

Can't wait for the 2020 port of GTA V!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

NBA 2K BOYS

There was lots of wowing over the Wii U early on "unprecidented support" from EA got Nintendo fans into a tizzy, then COD: Black Ops 2 being announced was a megaton, then Bayonetta 2 in collaboration with Sega was a huge deal. 

This is an actual gif from summer 2012, prior to the Wii U's launch:

This is just laughably embarrassing to look back on now. 

To be honest the Wii U third party support from Western devs was not that bad. COD, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham, FIFA, Madden NFL, and NBA 2K represented probably 6 of the top 8 third party IP in the business at the time and it had other stuff like Zombi U, Rayman, Deux Ex, Need for Speed too. The problem was a lot of these devs bailed after about 1-2 years of support. 

I think Switch will be missing some of those listed above. Probably no COD or Madden NFL at launch I'm thinking (EA has said only one game, and that probably means FIFA, that also means no Battlefront, no Star Wars, no NHL, no Need For Speed, no Mass Effect). 

My guesses are basically

YES for Switch:

Skyrim, NBA2K17, Dragon Quest XI, Sonic, Just Dance, FIFA 2017, Monster Hunter XX, Batman: Arkham Knight port, Resident Evil 7, Kingdom Hearts 3, Tekken 7, Metal Gear Solid V port, Minecraft. 

NO for Switch

Red Dead Revolver 2, Call of Duty, NHL 2017, Battlefield, Mass Effect, GTA VI, Star Wars Battlefront, Need For Speed, The Witcher 3. 

Maybe not exactly like that, but I think for every "big" IP the Switch gets, there will be one missing.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Soundwave said:

There was lots of wowing over the Wii U early on "unprecidented support" from EA got Nintendo fans into a tizzy, then COD: Black Ops 2 being announced was a megaton, then Bayonetta 2 in collaboration with Sega was a huge deal. 

This is an actual gif from summer 2012, prior to the Wii U's launch:

This is just laughably embarrassing to look back on now. 

To be honest the Wii U third party support from Western devs was not that bad. COD, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham, FIFA, Madden NFL, and NBA 2K represented probably 6 of the top 8 third party IP in the business at the time and it had other stuff like Zombi U, Rayman, Deux Ex, Need for Speed too. The problem was a lot of these devs bailed after about 1-2 years of support. 

I think Switch will be missing some of those listed above. Probably no COD or Madden NFL at launch I'm thinking (EA has said only one game, and that probably means FIFA, that also means no Battlefront, no Star Wars, no NHL, no Need For Speed, no Mass Effect). 

My guesses are basically

YES for Switch:

Skyrim, NBA2K17, Dragon Quest XI, Sonic, Just Dance, FIFA 2017, Monster Hunter XX, Batman: Arkham Knight port, Resident Evil 7, Kingdom Hearts 3, Tekken 7, Metal Gear Solid V port, Minecraft. 

NO for Switch

Red Dead Revolver 2, Call of Duty, NHL 2017, Battlefield, Mass Effect, GTA VI, Star Wars Battlefront, Need For Speed, The Witcher 3. 

Maybe not exactly like that, but I think for every "big" IP the Switch gets, there will be one missing.

There are some points you keep ignoring, fact is that developers seems more positive about Switch than they ever been for Wii U, Switch even has Bethesda on board that one of most hard core 3rd party developer out there and don't support any Nintendo console from NES. Also that list of Switch 3rd party partners is bigger than Wii Us list.

Also it seems that Nintendo this time actualy trying to have 3rd party on borad for Switch, Take-Two said: "Nintendo making a great effort to support third-party developers”, and we know with Wii U there was tons of problems for 3rd parties, like OS and online capabilities wasn't ready on launch time, Nintendo did not provide proper paper work and all info for dev kits and full specs, they had bad comunication with 3rd party...

Also fact is that Switch has very modern tech and hardware with newst and most modern tools and APIs, and support for evre modern engine on market, and all that makes developing and porting for Switch more easier and actualy posible (Wii U didnt suport U4 for instance) than it was for Wii U.

Wii U actually had decent 3rd party at launch, but biggest problems for those 3rd parties who supported Wii U on launch was terrible sales for Wii U and very uncertain future for console, and we know that just after 1st year Wii U was considered for faile.

With all above on mind and almost fact that Switch will sell much better than Wii U and it won't be considered for failed after 1st year, it realistic to expect that Switch will have better 3rd party support than Wii U in its 1st year (and Wii U 1st year 3rd party support actualy was decent), offcoures nobady expect that will have exatly same 3rd part support like XB1/PS4.

Wii and Wii U had CoD and NFS, so Switch can easly have them also.

I will just add that Luara Kate Dale and Emily reported that few 3rd parties are playing "wait and see" with Switch, that basicly means they waiting to see how exatly Switch will perform and how much it will be popular before they start suporting Switch. Also Kimishima said, that after Switch reveal trailer, list of Switch supporters is even bigger because after trailer more developer were on board for Switch.

burninmylight said:
Nautilus said:

Oh thanks!Ill watch it after I play Xenoblade Chronicles X on Switch!

Looks like he'll now have plenty of free time to make all these LPs that he thinks anyone cares about.

LOL.Yeah, and hopefully he stays there.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1