By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take-Two: Nintendo “making a great effort to support third-party developers”, “optimistic” about Switch

Soundwave said:
Ljink96 said:
Remember, we only got praises from Ubisoft for Wii U, Take 2, Bethesda weren't too optimistic about Wii U. To see this turnaround is very interesting. I'm not interested in T2's content but the more the better. Switch is shaping up to be something really special I think. Can't wait to hear more about.

The same exact guy said Take 2 was "very, very excited" by Wii U. 

The Wii U also had NBA 2K13 at launch. And even NBA 2K14 I think. 

Read Miyamoto's post above. They didn't say they were excited about Wii U and NBA2k14 was not on Wii U so your entire post is false.

Around the Network
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Soundwave said:

Does that mean those people are actually going to buy NBA 2K though? That's the bigger issue. 

Even the 3DS struggled with this and lost a lot of third party support from its early days. Where are all the 3DS Resident Evil games now? Even got locked out of RE Revelations 2. No more Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Street Fighter, etc. and baiscally nothing from Western 3rd parties other than Lego. EA stopped with things like FIFA ages ago. 

It's all basically Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, and a handful of other IP, but nothing else. 

Nintendo's userbase has some complicity here, they don't bother supporting anything other than same old Nintendo franchises and even many of those they don't support. 

A way to deal with that would be for continues bundle with 3rd party and Nintendo's one. Two bundle options could help.

I would have done a continues EA Sports bundle in a long NS switch support deal along side the expected Nintendo ones. That might be a good start for expanding that audience or recapture it.

Nintendo really needs to help promote 3rd party games period.  Playstation and Xbox do this a lot, using 3rd party games in sizzle reel ads.  Nintendo can't just focus the messaging on 1st party exclusives.  If they communicate Switch is purely a Nintendo box, that's what people will treat it as.

As for these statements, proximity to release is a key difference between switch and Wii U.  The Wii U had some good initial buzz, but the vast majority of that was in 2011.  By 2012, nearly every third party had gone silent or changed their tune to critical and skeptical.  We can't be sure why, some rumors suggest the first dev kits were stronger than the final ones, maybe some early PS4 and Xbone dev kits were out and about and those hurt the Wii U's support or maybe it was a lack of effort to effectively sell the device by Nintendo.  All this positivity about the Switch is coming out mere months before launch.  The final dev kits are out, the PS4, Xbone, and Pro are all in devs hands, all the necessary excuses to blow of the Switch are there if they were sufficient for it. 

Dr.Vita said:
Same thing was said about Wii U too.

Soundwave said:
Ljink96 said:
Remember, we only got praises from Ubisoft for Wii U, Take 2, Bethesda weren't too optimistic about Wii U. To see this turnaround is very interesting. I'm not interested in T2's content but the more the better. Switch is shaping up to be something really special I think. Can't wait to hear more about.

They didn't said anything about Nintendo 3rd party effort, and now with Switch they specified said: "The folks at Nintendo are making a great effort to support third-party developers".

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yup, those games are all system seller and that means that Switch will actually sell in 1st year compared to Wii U for instance.

Does that mean those people are actually going to buy NBA 2K though? That's the bigger issue. 

Even the 3DS struggled with this and lost a lot of third party support from its early days. Where are all the 3DS Resident Evil games now? Even got locked out of RE Revelations 2. No more Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Street Fighter, etc. and baiscally nothing from Western 3rd parties other than Lego. EA stopped with things like FIFA ages ago. 

It's all basically Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, and a handful of other IP, but nothing else. 

Nintendo's userbase has some complicity here, they don't bother supporting anything other than same old Nintendo franchises and even many of those they don't support. Unfortuantely I think the Nintendo fanbase has become conditioned to basically only be interested in like 8 franchises or so, almost anything else is a very tough sell. That's what happens when you don't have third party support for like 15 years. 

But having a second console solves all these issues.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Nintendo's userbase has some complicity here, they don't bother supporting anything other than same old Nintendo franchises and even many of those they don't support. Unfortuantely I think the Nintendo fanbase has become conditioned to basically only be interested in like 8 franchises or so, almost anything else is a very tough sell. That's what happens when you don't have third party support for like 15 years. 

Clear logic says that games will sell better if platform is more popular and install base is better than if we have another Wii U situation.

3DS hardware is very week, most of developers didn't want to bother with such weak hardware, Switch is incomparible stronger than 3DS and actual 3rd party game can run on it.

3DS still had perfectly good engines for more Metal Gear, Tekken, Ridge Racer, Street Fighter, FIFA, Madden, etc. games ... none of those developers bothered, even the many of the Japanese devs and I don't think Switch will sell even as well as the 3DS. So we'll see. 

Nintendo fans need to start actually buying some third party content too, this is part of the problem. I will buy NBA 2K because I actually like sports games, but the rest of the Switch fan base ... lol, I doubt it. 

With the Wii U it was a lot of bitching and crying when games ran like 5 fps slower than the PS3/360 and that was the justification for not supporting games, well guess what? Switch is not going to be parity either. It's weaker hardware. People better support these games or they're not going to get more or them. That's just the bottom line. 

Around the Network

People saying this is the same as Wii U. You may want to research first.

Strauss Zelnick (TT CEO) on the Wii U

While Take-Two will make sports and family titles for the Wii U, its bigger core franchises have been notably absent from the list of partners. And that seems unlikely to change anytime soon.

"We haven't announced anything," says Zelnick on the possibility of moving the company's mature titles onto the Wii U. "I'm skeptical."

Deja Vu

princevenom said:
Deja Vu

Read the post above yours.

People need to accept that switch is getting a bigger positive reception, biggest positive reception for a Nintendo console since, since a lot of time. Not the same scenario of the wii u or wii where we had a lot of third parties talking crap about those consoles. If the support is there, we don't know yet, but you can't say "same thing was said about the wiiu" if you go back in time you will find a lot of dubious and bitter comments from developers, and a lot of "wtf is going" articles from the gaming media.

Soundwave said:
Ljink96 said:

Being "very very excited" is totally different than praising a console directly. If somebody from Bethesda says that Switch was the best demo they've ever seen at E3, and they've stayed exclusive to PS, XB, and PC for some time and all of a sudden they praise a Nintendo console of all things, something is being said about Switch. We can't just say, "oh they said the same thing" when it wasn't the same thing or same situation.