By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 sales are off to a rough start.

I know it's just an opinion, but after playing Tomb Raider (2013) recently for the second time, I don't see how the franchise can keep up with games like Uncharted. It's gone from class leader to second teir at best.

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
this is what happens when you do shady backhanded deals.

ah comeon... if the game would have been original and good it wouldnt be a problem, that its a year late port. Its just a bad game for handicapped players.

I don't think the bad sales had anything to do with exclusivity anymore. I think most PS players stopped giving a shit about getting it a year late. The price for a year old game is what killed sales on the PS4.

Many people don't care about the dlc so paying full price a year after launch is a lot to ask for. Additionally, the X1 release was heavily discounted shortly after release. So yes, it may have racked up 3million sales, but many of those came from a discounted price. The question is, did MS pay enough money to make up the difference? I suppose we may never know.

Wow, I'm pretty shocked by this.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

SamLeheny said:

Serves Squenix right. If you kick half 3/4th's your audience to the curb for some sweet exclusive money, don't expect them to still support you a year later when you pretend like you still care about them.
It always breaks my heart to think of a development team putting their soul into a game and can't wait for the players to get their hands on it, when suddenly the publisher walks in counting out a thick wad of Ben Franklins and off handedly tells the dev team "Oh, half (or more) of the audience won't get to play it I'm afraid. We made sure of it."

Hopefully any losses they suffered in sales and to the brand (sequels?) was gained short term, via money hat from MS.

Around the Network

Good game, deserved better. A better game than Uncharted 4 in my opinion.

Huge discounts on the game on X1 and PC not long after release, and bad sales on PS4 almost certainly mean this series took a big hit to the chin with this entire debacle.

And big sales in the holidays? Not a chance, it had to get going in October, and it didn't. There is no marketing push, it's then followed by BF1, COD:IW, Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, Skyrim Remastered, Watch Dogs 2, Assassin's Creed Remasters, FF15, TLG, etc.

In short, it will get murdered in Nov/Dec by bigger releases, and probably see discounts before Dec 25th, and value pricing not long after.

When you think about it, delaying it further to say March/April so it wouldn't get absolutely crushed by the major holiday releases would have made far more sense.

Well... i'm still gonna get it. But seeing this maybe i will hold off a bit. Sounds like price cuts will be imminent.

A remnant of the time when Microsoft could still convince developers that the XBO would be the market leader.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Expected to be a bad showing. This shall lead for price drops.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."