By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why updated ports make sense for Nintendo fans

They're great for the sizable portion of the Nintendo fanbase that cares about visuals.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Jranation said:
Thankyou for making this!

Have Nintendo ever done something like this on their console/handheld at launch or near its launch?

Because if it gives them an extra 1mil or more, I will say its a success.

And plus, how you can play MK8, Splatoon, SMM and Super Smash in close of Wii Us Power (far from the 3ds) is a nice selling point for both already owned users and not.

No they havent and thats one thing I respect them for.

For me though, I want to see how this will play out. 

Didn't other updated ports on PS4 and X1 work fine? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
KLXVER said:

No they havent and thats one thing I respect them for.

For me though, I want to see how this will play out. 

Didn't other updated ports on PS4 and X1 work fine? 

Some of them did Im sure. Its not like they had to do alot of work, so they probably made some good money on them.

Agree, but of course more benefits will have Switch users that didn't had Wii U.

KLXVER said:
I don't see the need for them. Just make sequels to them. If we have to wait a few years, then so be it. A new 3D Mario, Pikmin 4 and Zelda excites me more than games Ive already played. If you didn't get a WiiU to play them, then tough luck.

Like I said, its not just about getting these franchises out early, its also about them getting another game out in a timely manner.

If Sakurai works on another game instead of Smash 5, it will be 4-5 years before Switch gets a Smash Bros.

If EAD Group 2 goes to work on Splatoon 2 right away than it will be years before Switch gets an Animal Crossing or vice versa.

If Breath of the Wild remained a Wii U exclusive than Switch wouldnt get a Zelda until 2021 or later.

If Pokemon Stars releases as a 3DS exclusive in 2017 than Switch wont have a mainline Pokemon title until 2019.

If Switch doesnt get a bunch of the Nintendo big hitters out in a timely manner than its possible that Switch will face the same fate as Wii U and once these big franchises do finally release it will be too little, too late.

Having 3D Mario+Smash Bros+Mario Kart+Zelda+Splatoon+Pokemon in the first year will ensure that Switch starts out strong and doesnt become another Wii U.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

It also provides people who had no interest in picking up a Wii U an opportunity to play these titles on the Switch. Besides, how much different will the next MK, Splatoon and Smash be from their Wii U versions other than having additional content? Might as well release enhanced ports early in the Switch's life cycle instead of forcing gamers to wait years before a new version of each franchise is released on the Switch.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:
I don't see the need for them. Just make sequels to them. If we have to wait a few years, then so be it. A new 3D Mario, Pikmin 4 and Zelda excites me more than games Ive already played. If you didn't get a WiiU to play them, then tough luck.

Like I said, its not just about getting these franchises out early, its also about them getting another game out in a timely manner.

If Sakurai works on another game instead of Smash 5, it will be 4-5 years before Switch gets a Smash Bros.

If EAD Group 2 goes to work on Splatoon 2 right away than it will be years before Switch gets an Animal Crossing or vice versa.

If Breath of the Wild remained a Wii U exclusive than Switch wouldnt get a Zelda until 2021 or later.

If Pokemon Stars releases as a 3DS exclusive in 2017 than Switch wont have a mainline Pokemon title until 2019.

If Switch doesnt get a bunch of the Nintendo big hitters out in a timely manner than its possible that Switch will face the same fate as Wii U and once these big franchises do finally release it will be too little, too late.

Having 3D Mario+Smash Bros+Mario Kart+Zelda+Splatoon+Pokemon in the first year will ensure that Switch starts out strong and doesnt become another Wii U.

Well said.

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

What do you think the developers will be working on after the remasters? The new entry in the same popular franchise. They cant wait 2-3 years after the Switch is released to start making a new Mario Kart or Smash Bros. They wouldnt be out until like 5 years into the consoles life. Let other IPs take the front stage while they work on the sequels. If MK, Smash and Splatoon is what they need to have a good first year, then Nintendo might be in bigger trouble than we think.

KLXVER said:
zorg1000 said:

What do you think the developers will be working on after the remasters? The new entry in the same popular franchise. They cant wait 2-3 years after the Switch is released to start making a new Mario Kart or Smash Bros. They wouldnt be out until like 5 years into the consoles life. Let other IPs take the front stage while they work on the sequels. If MK, Smash and Splatoon is what they need to have a good first year, then Nintendo might be in bigger trouble than we think.

Like I already said, Sakurai and his team will work on another project after Smash 4.5, whether thats a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising or a revival of a different IP or a new IP altogether. I would rather have Smash 4.5 in 2017 & Kid Icarus in 2019 than Kid Icarus in 2018 and Smash 5 in 2021.

I would rather have Splatoon 1.5 in early 2017 & Animal Crossing in late 2018 than Splatoon 2 in 2018 & Animal Crossing in 2020.

I would rather have Breath of the Wild as a 2017 cross-gen release than a 2016 Wii U exclusive then having to wait until 2021 for a Zelda on Switch.

I would rather have Pokemon Stars as a Switch exclusive in 2017 than having it be a 3DS title and having to wait until 2019 for a mainline Pokemon on Switch.

Nintendo needs their big hitting IP on Switch early because those are the games that sell Nintendo systems, just like PS/XB need the big western AAA titles on their system early because those are what sell PS/XB consoles.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

NightDragon83 said:
It also provides people who had no interest in picking up a Wii U an opportunity to play these titles on the Switch. Besides, how much different will the next MK, Splatoon and Smash be from their Wii U versions other than having additional content? Might as well release enhanced ports early in the Switch's life cycle instead of forcing gamers to wait years before a new version of each franchise is released on the Switch.

Exactly, this is also a successor to 3DS, so 3DS owners who have never played MK8/Smash U/Splatoon are in for a real treat.

Nintendo's last sales update has Mario Kart 8 at 8 million while Mario Kart 7 has sold just under 14 million. If we assume that 100% of MK8 owners also have MK7 than that is still 6 million MK7 owners who never owned MK8. Obviously not all MK8 owners have MK7, lets say its closer to 50%, that would be 10 million MK7 owners who never owned MK8.

And I agree with you as well about sequels not really being needed in general. These 1.5 editions are going to have new characters/stages/items/modes which is exactly what sequels would be offering. The only difference is that these devs dont need to start over from scratch.