By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why updated ports make sense for Nintendo fans

Yeah, it doesn't make sense for all Nintendo fans. I'm not inclined to by "Mario Kart 8: We Finally Stopped Being F***in' Lazy Edition", just for them to have a few new tracks/racers, and FINALLY have a real battle mode. They should offer that shit as DLC for Wii U, for the version I already own.

There is zero appeal to me, as a Wii U owner, to re-buy these games. I can see it for people who didn't buy a Wii U. But that doesn't erase the fact that it's a cheap/lazy move on their part. It feels like Nintendo has been behind since Wii U's launch, and even now, with Switch looming, they're STILL behind.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
I don't see the need for them. Just make sequels to them. If we have to wait a few years, then so be it. A new 3D Mario, Pikmin 4 and Zelda excites me more than games Ive already played. If you didn't get a WiiU to play them, then tough luck.

The problem is: they can't afford to wait a few years. They need to have a steady steam of games coming... especially during the first year. And those enhanced versions help filling gaps, after all it's not easy to keep pumping 1-2 games every month after release.

And it's not like those versions will after games like 3D Mario, Pikmin 4 and Zelda (games you listed). I too am much more excited for new games, but we have to understand the need for a couple of enhanced versions here and there.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I'm not really fond of the idea of all these ports releasing on the Switch, as I already played them all and I don't like to double dip. The only one I may do so is splatoon, if it has enough content to make it worthwhile. Though, if people outside of Wii U owners really want those ports, then I don't really mind. As long as there are some new fun titles on the switch, that's enough for me.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

zorg1000 said:
m_csquare said:
Or... they could just add backward compatibility?

ya because its real easy putting a disc in a cartridge slot.

you knw you can download games from eshop right?

m_csquare said:
zorg1000 said:

ya because its real easy putting a disc in a cartridge slot.

so you are advocating for backwards compatibility for digital only? that sure helps the 80% or more that purchased these games physically.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
m_csquare said:

so you are advocating for backwards compatibility for digital only? that sure helps the 80% or more that purchased these games physically.

Still better than forcing all of the customers to double dip??

But its your money after all. idgaf cos i never had wiiu anyway

m_csquare said:
zorg1000 said:

is it double dipping when they have a significant amount of new content?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
m_csquare said:

is it double dipping when they have a significant amount of new content?

"significant" yea... ok. Reggie also told me the same thing /s

omgfk said:
zorg1000 said:

People werent interested in getting a Wii U for many reasons, such as bad marketing/advertising, high price & constant software droughts. It wasnt that the games werent appealing, it was that the appealing games were too far and few in between.

3D Mario released a full year after launch, Mario Kart 1.5 years after launch, Smash Bros 2 years after launch, Splatoon 2.5 years after launch, Zelda still hasnt released, no mainline Pokemon titles, no mainline Animal Crossing, etc.

Having 3D Mario, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Pokemon, Zelda, Mario Kart all in its first year means the chances of early success are high.

And no you will not be able to play similar games on your iPhone, thats just a flat out dumb statement.

All exclusives with the majority of those games got very good review scores. Were are your droughts?

This can be said just by someone who don't know anything about Wii U drouths, Wii U had periods of 2-3 months whitout any game, that with weak launch and 1st year lineup are one one biggest Wii U problems, and this partially Switchs 1st year lineup proves that Nintendo is very determined not to repeat those mistakes.

zorg1000 said:

Ok an iPhone 7 is waaaaayyyyyyy stronger, where are the games that compare to the ones you just listed? thats right, they dont exist.

Wii U had plenty of droughts, it usually had a decent holiday quarter but the other 3 quarters usually just had 1 game each.

You can see that 3-4 month droughts between exclusives was not uncommon at all.

So same for Ps4/Xbox One. Even with 3rd Party Support 2-3 Month droughts are nor uncommon. Same with original Wii.

iOS and Android games are always made to run on as most devices as possible. There is no iPhone 7 exclusive games yet, they are all made to run on older hardware as well (and they dont have many graphic settings). But here are some examples:

Tech Demo running on Samsung Galaxy s7 (similar performance to iPhone 7)

iPhone 6s tech demo:

Assassins Creed running on an iPhone 5 (~16x less strong then iPhone 7)

Infinity Blade III (made to run on iPhone 4s and higher)

F1 running on iPhone 5s and 7 (almost no differences, the game is made to run on weaker hardware as well to boost sales). iPhone 7 is ~8x as strong as iPhone 5s.

This Game (Afterpulse) was made for iPhone 5s/6. The iPhone 7 is around 6-8 times stronger then those phones. Keep that in mind.

This Game was made for iPhone 4. The iPhone 7 is ~30x as strong

There is no real 2016 flagship exclusive game on mobile yet, because the developers want to reach as many customers as possible. Each iPhone Generation roughly double the performance of the previous one. With some thinking it should be easy to understand how capable the iPhone 7 or Galaxy s7 are.