By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why updated ports make sense for Nintendo fans

I'm a Nintendo fan and it makes no sense to me. I don't want old games I already own and won't be buying them.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

What do you think the developers will be working on after the remasters? The new entry in the same popular franchise. They cant wait 2-3 years after the Switch is released to start making a new Mario Kart or Smash Bros. They wouldnt be out until like 5 years into the consoles life. Let other IPs take the front stage while they work on the sequels. If MK, Smash and Splatoon is what they need to have a good first year, then Nintendo might be in bigger trouble than we think.

Like I already said, Sakurai and his team will work on another project after Smash 4.5, whether thats a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising or a revival of a different IP or a new IP altogether. I would rather have Smash 4.5 in 2017 & Kid Icarus in 2019 than Kid Icarus in 2018 and Smash 5 in 2021.

I would rather have Splatoon 1.5 in early 2017 & Animal Crossing in late 2018 than Splatoon 2 in 2018 & Animal Crossing in 2020.

I would rather have Breath of the Wild as a 2017 cross-gen release than a 2016 Wii U exclusive then having to wait until 2021 for a Zelda on Switch.

I would rather have Pokemon Stars as a Switch exclusive in 2017 than having it be a 3DS title and having to wait until 2019 for a mainline Pokemon on Switch.

Nintendo needs their big hitting IP on Switch early because those are the games that sell Nintendo systems, just like PS/XB need the big western AAA titles on their system early because those are what sell PS/XB consoles.

Yes, they need their big hitting IPs on the Switch, but they shouldnt act like anything will do. I dont either. If they need to upgrade their current games instead of making new ones, then maybe they shouldnt have their own console. Nintendo is big, Im sure developers can work on several games at a time. Or get help from third parties to make new entries in games like Kid Icarus, Metroid, Punch-Out!!, Kirby etc...

Jranation said:

Didn't other updated ports on PS4 and X1 work fine? 

Yes, according to this site Grand Theft Auto V has sold over 17 million on PS4+XBO and is in the top 3 selling games on each platform.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

bunchanumbers said:
I'm a Nintendo fan. I already have these games on Wii U. I'd rather they focus on the next installments of their franchises instead of adding new stuff to games I already bought years ago and have them expect me to pay more. They better run a promotion where if you own these games on Wii U you get Switch versions at a steep discount. Otherwise full on double dipping is a slap in the face to Wii U owners who have already suffered enough.

how should that work? Those games dont have codes or anything to show the system you own them.

Maybe all Nintendo Network IDs that are linked to a wii u can download wii u ports for half priece. But it looks impossible for retail games if you ask me.

zorg1000 said:
Jranation said:

Didn't other updated ports on PS4 and X1 work fine? 

Yes, according to this site Grand Theft Auto V has sold over 17 million on PS4+XBO and is in the top 3 selling games on each platform.

Thats not made by Sony or MS though.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
zorg1000 said:

Like I already said, Sakurai and his team will work on another project after Smash 4.5, whether thats a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising or a revival of a different IP or a new IP altogether. I would rather have Smash 4.5 in 2017 & Kid Icarus in 2019 than Kid Icarus in 2018 and Smash 5 in 2021.

I would rather have Splatoon 1.5 in early 2017 & Animal Crossing in late 2018 than Splatoon 2 in 2018 & Animal Crossing in 2020.

I would rather have Breath of the Wild as a 2017 cross-gen release than a 2016 Wii U exclusive then having to wait until 2021 for a Zelda on Switch.

I would rather have Pokemon Stars as a Switch exclusive in 2017 than having it be a 3DS title and having to wait until 2019 for a mainline Pokemon on Switch.

Nintendo needs their big hitting IP on Switch early because those are the games that sell Nintendo systems, just like PS/XB need the big western AAA titles on their system early because those are what sell PS/XB consoles.

Yes, they need their big hitting IPs on the Switch, but they shouldnt act like anything will do. I dont either. If they need to upgrade their current games instead of making new ones, then maybe they shouldnt have their own console. Nintendo is big, Im sure developers can work on several games at a time. Or get help from third parties to make new entries in games like Kid Icarus, Metroid, Punch-Out!!, Kirby etc...

Like NightDragon pointed out, what would Splatoon 2, Smash Bros 5, Mario Kart 9 have to offer over the current entries?

A combination of new characters, items, levels, modes and guess what............thats exactly what Splatoon 1.5, Smash Bros 4.5 & Mario Kart 8.5 are rumored to offer.

Basically it comes down to instead of starting over from scratch and redoing a ton of things they just finished doing, they are just building upon already existing builds.

I mean really none of these games need a sequel just a few short years after release. A Smash Bros built from the ground up for Switch really isnt going to be a massive change from what a Smash Bros 4.5 will be.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

KLXVER said:
zorg1000 said:

Thats not made by Sony or MS though.

Fine, Nathan Drake Collection & Last of Us Remastered are tied for #10 best selling games on PS4 with 4.5 million sales each.

Master Chief Collection & Gears of War Ultimate are the #10 & #11 best selling games on XBO with over 3 million sales each.

zorg1000 said:

Like I said, its not just about getting these franchises out early, its also about them getting another game out in a timely manner.

If Sakurai works on another game instead of Smash 5, it will be 4-5 years before Switch gets a Smash Bros.

If EAD Group 2 goes to work on Splatoon 2 right away than it will be years before Switch gets an Animal Crossing or vice versa.

If Breath of the Wild remained a Wii U exclusive than Switch wouldnt get a Zelda until 2021 or later.

If Pokemon Stars releases as a 3DS exclusive in 2017 than Switch wont have a mainline Pokemon title until 2019.

If Switch doesnt get a bunch of the Nintendo big hitters out in a timely manner than its possible that Switch will face the same fate as Wii U and once these big franchises do finally release it will be too little, too late.

Having 3D Mario+Smash Bros+Mario Kart+Zelda+Splatoon+Pokemon in the first year will ensure that Switch starts out strong and doesnt become another Wii U.

People werent interested in getting a wii u for those games so I doubt they will be interested to get a switch for the first games. nintendo really should do something new and dont repeat failures.

Btw: If Nintendo had released BotW in 2015 (like planned) and hadnt port the game, it would be very possible to release a new zelda game in 2018 (Use same/similar engine will allow to creat an as big game within 3 years).

Also those ports costs development time. GTA 5 took 1 year to get ported to Ps4/xbox One. Twilight princess HD took 1,3 Years to get ported to Wii U.

So we can assume that Mario kart, Splatoon, Smash, Mario Maker ports and co will all easily take 6-12 month to get ported from wii u to Switch, which means that games like a new Animal Corssing, a new Sakurai game, a new Pokemon game, a new zelda game and more as all at least pushed 6-12 month behind. So we will have to wait even longer to get really new games.

Tbh i dont really care much anyway, not interested in the switch. My iPhone is as powerfull and can play similar games (in the future probl same third party games). I better get a 20 bucks bluetooth controller and im completly fine. I have a wii u for my nintendo games (and the switch wont do anything really new there, the ports are making it even worse).

In general i plan to move most of my gaming to vr anyway, its the future. We just need full fledged games comming to psvr and then flat gaming will die very quickly.

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

Like NightDragon pointed out, what would Splatoon 2, Smash Bros 5, Mario Kart 9 have to offer over the current entries?

A combination of new characters, items, levels, modes and guess what............thats exactly what Splatoon 1.5, Smash Bros 4.5 & Mario Kart 8.5 are rumored to offer.

Basically it comes down to instead of starting over from scratch and redoing a ton of things they just finished doing, they are just building upon already existing builds.

I mean really none of these games need a sequel just a few short years after release. A Smash Bros built from the ground up for Switch really isnt going to be a massive change from what a Smash Bros 4.5 will be.

Well if Mario Kart 8.5 has 32 new tracks and some new characters and some changes to the mechanics, Smash Bros 4.5 has as many new courses as the original had at launch and at least 20 new characters and Splatoon 1.5 has many new maps and weapons, then sure. That would be like a new version of those thats worth buying again.

zorg1000 said:

Fine, Nathan Drake Collection & Last of Us Remastered are tied for #10 best selling games on PS4 with 4.5 million sales each.

Master Chief Collection & Gears of War Ultimate are the #10 & #11 best selling games on XBO with over 3 million sales each.

The Last of Us is for many people one of the best games ever made with a metascoe of 95. No wii u port has a similar high number (smash comes close). Also it was a compelte new IP.

Halo master Chief collection is a bundle of 4 games, sold for the priece of 1 game. Similar for Gears and Uncharted. The prieces were about right.

Also most of those games were already some years old. And ALL of those games already got a sequel shortly after the release of the collection.

Im sure nintendo will sell splatoon 1.5 and co all foor full priece or 40 bucks and sequels wont be about to release.