By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why updated ports make sense for Nintendo fans

I'm sure many of you have read the constant complaining about Switch recieving a few updated ports. Obviously it makes sense from a business perspective but there are also some benefits to this for fans as well.

By releasing these 1.5 editions of Mario Kart, Smash Bros & Splatoon, it allows for these teams to get these series on Switch quicker and work on other projects as well.

Look at Smash Bros, Melee released in late 2001, Brawl released in early 2008 & Smash 4 released in late 2014 so basically 6.5 between releases. This is due to Sakurai liking to work on different projects in between Smash releases, he worked on a few Kirby games between Melee & Brawl and worked on Kid Icarus between Brawl & Smash 4.

If he were to work on a new game directly after he finished up Smash 4 DLC, he would maybe get a new game out in 2018 but then it wouldnt be until 2020/2021 until Smash 5 released on Switch (about 4 years after launch). By releasing a definitive edition of Smash 4 with some new content, Smash gets released in 2017 followed by a new Sakurai game in 2019 (lets say a new Kid Icarus).

Same goes for EAD Group 2. They are responsible for Splatoon along with Animal Crossing. In the past they have shown the ability to work on multiple projects at once.

Animal Crossing: Wild World, Wii Sports & Wii Play all released between Nov 2005 & Nov 2006.

Wii Music, Animal Crossing: City Folk & Wii Sports Resort all released between July 2008 & July 2009.

Nintendo Land & Animal Crossing: New Leaf both released during Holiday 2012.

Splatoon & Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer both released in mid-2015.

This shows that they can either work on 2-3 SD projects or 1 HD & 1 SD game, but can they work on two full fledged HD games at once? That remains to be seen.

If they were to work on Splatoon 2 right away than it will be years Animal Crossing fans get a new entry or vice versa. By releasing a Splatoon 1.5 in early 2017 than its possible that a new Animal Crossing releases in 2018.

Now lets look at 3D Zelda. Wind Waker released in late 2002,Twilight Princess in late 2006, Skyward Sword in late 2011 and Breath of the Wild sometime in 2017. So 4-6 years between Zelda releases. If Breath of the Wild remained a Wii U exclusive than it wouldnt be until 2021 at the earliest that Switch got a Zelda game.

Now lets take a look at Pokemon. New generations release every 3-4 years (1996, 1999, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2013, 2016). Pokemon Sun & Moon just released so it likely wont be until holiday 2019 that Gen VIII releases or close to 3 years after Switch launches. By releasing the 3rd version of Gen VII as a Switch title in 2017, it gives Switch users their Pokemon fix until the next gen releases.

Basically it makes far more sense to release these updated ports early on and let these teams get their next projects out in the middle of the generation than to have these big system selling series release late in the systems life. As a Smash Bros fan would you rather get a Smash 4.5 in 2017 or have to wait another 4-5 years for Switch to get a Smash Bros game?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I'm a Nintendo fan. I already have these games on Wii U. I'd rather they focus on the next installments of their franchises instead of adding new stuff to games I already bought years ago and have them expect me to pay more. They better run a promotion where if you own these games on Wii U you get Switch versions at a steep discount. Otherwise full on double dipping is a slap in the face to Wii U owners who have already suffered enough.

I agree with everything that you have posted, also it helps the fact that tons of people who couldn't play those games because they skipped Wii U now will have the opportunity to play them on Definitive Versions, at a lower cost and with tons of improvements, in theory for new users they'll be new games.

I don't see the need for them. Just make sequels to them. If we have to wait a few years, then so be it. A new 3D Mario, Pikmin 4 and Zelda excites me more than games Ive already played. If you didn't get a WiiU to play them, then tough luck.

KLXVER said:
I don't see the need for them. Just make sequels to them. If we have to wait a few years, then so be it. A new 3D Mario, Pikmin 4 and Zelda excites me more than games Ive already played. If you didn't get a WiiU to play them, then tough luck.

This

As a person that owned both the wiiU and 3ds. These enhanced ports do nothing for me.

And considering the Switch is a single device instead of the wiiU/3ds being two devices, the development time for games should have gotten smaller so if we have to wait that long for new games, it is due to Nintendo's poor planning.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

This

As a person that owned both the wiiU and 3ds. These enhanced ports do nothing for me.

And considering the Switch is a single device instead of the wiiU/3ds being two devices, the development time for games should have gotten smaller so if we have to wait that long for new games, it is due to Nintendo's poor planning.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I agree with most of the OPs points. Upgraded ports are a great way to get major franchises on a system that will hopefully have a larger install base. They consume less resources than a new entry, and other teams can develop new titles (and even new IPs) simultaneously.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

I already have these games on Wii U. As a Wii U owner, I don't really care how early the games get onto switch.

Thankyou for making this!

Have Nintendo ever done something like this on their console/handheld at launch or near its launch?

Because if it gives them an extra 1mil or more, I will say its a success.

And plus, how you can play MK8, Splatoon, SMM and Super Smash in close of Wii Us Power on the go (far from the 3ds) is a nice selling point for both already owned users and not.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Thankyou for making this!

Have Nintendo ever done something like this on their console/handheld at launch or near its launch?

Because if it gives them an extra 1mil or more, I will say its a success.

And plus, how you can play MK8, Splatoon, SMM and Super Smash in close of Wii Us Power (far from the 3ds) is a nice selling point for both already owned users and not.

No they havent and thats one thing I respect them for.