By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why updated ports make sense for Nintendo fans

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

Didnt help during the WiiU when they actually released games for it, so I dont know. They still have games for the 3DS coming, they have new mobile games coming and the NES Mini.

The games coming to 3DS in 2017 are small games that wont contribute significantly to their profits.

The point of NES Mini & mobile games are to build up interest for Nintendo hardware/software, thats hard to do when no new hardware/software is being released.

We dont know every 3DS game coming in 2017...

So they have to release a Mario game on Switch no more than 4 months after Super Mario Run because people will forget it? If 4 months is their attention span, then Im not sure they will play alot of their Switch...

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
zorg1000 said:

Ya that makes sense wait an extra 8 months to play games instead of playing no games.

Ya for you and others these ports will be as good as nothing, that is far outweighed by the potential millions of people who will play these for the first time and the people willing to double dip in order to play the new content.

You have to think about risk-reward.

The risk of releasing updated ports to flesh out the first year lineup is low, the potential reward is high as they could be multi million selling titles and cause people to buy a Switch.

The risk of delaying hardware and software by 8 months leaving no notable releases for an entire year is high, the reward isnt any higher than the potential reward by going with the other option.

You and others are thinking too much from a "hardcore" gamers perspective, the general audience is not going to mind that a system has a few updated ports.

Why would these people buy a Switch to play WiiU games? At least wait a few months to see if many people who didnt own a WiiU gets a Switch. The first one on board will be the core gamers who owned a WiiU. Why not start with them before giving your attention to people who might not even exist?

I feel like ive repeated this a dozen times, most people are in agreeance that Wii U did not fail because the big hitting Nintendo games lacked appeal. It failed because it was poorly marketed, had a high price for what it offered and had constant droughts. It had some really appealing games but they were too few, too spread out and too late and couldnt offset the many negative aspects of the console.

These games like Mario Kart, Smash Bros & Splatoon sold great despite the poor performance of Wii U but were clearly held back by being on such a poor performing console.

Like i have said multiple times before as well, we can see from MK & Smash performance on 3DS that there is higher interest in these franchises than the Wii U entries lead us to (8m vs 14m, 5m vs 8.5m). There are millions of fans of these series who have not played these entries. Also Splatoon never made a 3DS appearance so who knows how many people are interested in a portable version.

Switch is not only the successor to Wii U but also to 3DS so people who are 3DS owners but not Wii U owners are a big potential audience for Switch. These games can potentially be system sellers for 3DS owners looking to upgrade.

Not only that but all of these titles are rumored to have some significant new content so there is a strong chance that Wii U owners will double dip.

There is literally no reason for Nintendo not to do this, releasing updated ports frees these teams up to make different games instead of being in a constant cycle of making sequels, they allow Switch to have a much stronger 1st year lineup, they allow millions of non-Wii U owners to play these games.

The small amount of people who are protesting these ports are overwhelmingly outnumbered by the potential benefits these games give to Nintendo & consumers.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Pavolink said:

More power and portability does not add the same as a Wii remote. On top of that, once again, even when those were ports those were tretaed like that, ports, not as a big release like the Wii U ports to Switch according to the OP.

portability can add just as much or more than motion controls for many people, i gaurantee Splatoon on the go with be huge, especially in Japan.

Splatoon 1.5 is not going to sell the same as a real sequel, and on the go it will only be huge in Japan. Stop overestimating franchises without any proof.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

Why would these people buy a Switch to play WiiU games? At least wait a few months to see if many people who didnt own a WiiU gets a Switch. The first one on board will be the core gamers who owned a WiiU. Why not start with them before giving your attention to people who might not even exist?

I feel like ive repeated this a dozen times, most people are in agreeance that Wii U did not fail because the big hitting Nintendo games lacked appeal. It failed because it was poorly marketed, had a high price for what it offered and had constant droughts. It had some really appealing games but they were too few, too spread out and too late and couldnt offset the many negative aspects of the console.

These games like Mario Kart, Smash Bros & Splatoon sold great despite the poor performance of Wii U but were clearly held back by being on such a poor performing console.

Like i have said multiple times before as well, we can see from MK & Smash performance on 3DS that there is higher interest in these franchises than the Wii U entries lead us to (8m vs 14m, 5m vs 8.5m). There are millions of fans of these series who have not played these entries. Also Splatoon never made a 3DS appearance so who knows how many people are interested in a portable version.

Switch is not only the successor to Wii U but also to 3DS so people who are 3DS owners but not Wii U owners are a big potential audience for Switch. These games can potentially be system sellers for 3DS owners looking to upgrade.

Not only that but all of these titles are rumored to have some significant new content so there is a strong chance that Wii U owners will double dip.

There is literally no reason for Nintendo not to do this, releasing updated ports frees these teams up to make different games instead of being in a constant cycle of making sequels, they allow Switch to have a much stronger 1st year lineup, they allow millions of non-Wii U owners to play these games.

The small amount of people who are protesting these ports are overwhelmingly outnumbered by the potential benefits these games give to Nintendo & consumers.

I dont believe the whole people dont know the WiiU exists. People who loved Mario Kart Wii would get the information when they bought Mario Kart 8 in the store.

1. "Why didnt this game work on my Wii?"

2. "Because its for the WiiU. A different console."

1. "Oh ok. Im not buying that console"

Simple as that.

These numbers mean nothing. Mario Kart Double Dash sold less than MK8, but that was never ported to the Wii. It would probably have sold decent as well, but this was back when Nintendo actually tried.

and yes, you have repeated yourself a dozen times and I still disagree with you.

KLXVER said:
zorg1000 said:

The games coming to 3DS in 2017 are small games that wont contribute significantly to their profits.

The point of NES Mini & mobile games are to build up interest for Nintendo hardware/software, thats hard to do when no new hardware/software is being released.

So they have to release a Mario game on Switch no more than 4 months after Super Mario Run because people will forget it? If 4 months is their attention span, then Im not sure they will play alot of their Switch...

You're right, i dont know all the 3DS games coming in 2017, but it is highly unlikely Nintendo is going to release any major titles for it.

What we know of currently are Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Sports Superstars, Ever Oasis & Pikmin. They are also publishing Dragon Quest VIII and likely Yokai Watch 3 in the west.

None of those are major releases and will be lucky to sell 1 million.

Obviously releasing big games shortly after the mobile versions release is the best course of action. Sure releasing further along can work but thebshorter timeframe is more ideal for maximum affect.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

You're right, i dont know all the 3DS games coming in 2017, but it is highly unlikely Nintendo is going to release any major titles for it.

What we know of currently are Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Sports Superstars, Ever Oasis & Pikmin. They are also publishing Dragon Quest VIII and likely Yokai Watch 3 in the west.

None of those are major releases and will be lucky to sell 1 million.

Obviously releasing big games shortly after the mobile versions release is the best course of action. Sure releasing further along can work but thebshorter timeframe is more ideal for maximum affect.

Most of the games released for WiiU and 3DS in the last year would be lucky to get 1 million sales.(Games like Pokemon Sun/Moon aside of course)

I just dont like the practise of using older games to sell your new console.

Again I have said that I would be ok with these ports if they have about twice as much content as they had at their original launch.

Pavolink said:
zorg1000 said:

portability can add just as much or more than motion controls for many people, i gaurantee Splatoon on the go with be huge, especially in Japan.

Splatoon 1.5 is not going to sell the same as a real sequel, and on the go it will only be huge in Japan. Stop overestimating franchises without any proof.

Stop underestimating franchises without any proof.......so i need proof for all my opinions but you dont, nice double standard there buddy.

Also im soooooo sure motion controls were such a big deal for those GC to Wii ports.

zorg1000 said:
Pavolink said:

Stop underestimating franchises without any proof.......so i need proof for all my opinions but you dont, nice double standard there buddy.

Also im soooooo sure motion controls were such a big deal for those GC to Wii ports.

I have proof. Wii U sales.

What proof di you have?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

KLXVER said:
oniyide said:

profits!

Didnt help during the WiiU when they actually released games for it, so I dont know. They still have games for the 3DS coming, they have new mobile games coming and the NES Mini.

because the Wii U sold like crap. For all we know the Switch could do much better and if that would be the case why NOT release it sooner better than later. I could see how releasing it in holidays with newer games would be more appealing, but its not like they have a system that is doing great now. That would be a long time to wait, its just bad business. ANd there is no gaurantee that the games would even be ready for next winter.

Pavolink said:
zorg1000 said:

I have proof. Wii U sales.

What proof di you have?

that is literally proof of nothing, i gave multiple reasons why i think these games didnt sell to their full potential, you didnt give any proof why my reasoning is wrong.

We are both in the same boat here, we have different opinions and neither of us has definitive proof that we are right.