By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why updated ports make sense for Nintendo fans

KLXVER said:
zorg1000 said:

So you're saying they should delay Switch to at least  holiday 2017 so they can get more games ready leaving them with literally a full year of not releasing any noteworthy games?

They havent really released any noteworthy WiiU games in the past year, so why not wait a little longer and come out swinging with the Switch?

Cause time is money

Around the Network
oniyide said:
KLXVER said:

They havent really released any noteworthy WiiU games in the past year, so why not wait a little longer and come out swinging with the Switch?

Cause time is money

It is. Thats why they are making games for mobiles.

KLXVER said:
oniyide said:

Cause time is money

that might not be enough to sustain if they wait for Switch to release next holidays.

oniyide said:
KLXVER said:

that might not be enough to sustain if they wait for Switch to release next holidays.

Sustain what?

KLXVER said:
zorg1000 said:

Thats a bit of an exaggeration, Twilight Princess HD, Star Fox Zero, Pokken Tournament, Tokyo Mirage  Sessions released in the first half of the year and Paper Mario just released last month. Its certainly not amazing but there has been a few decent games for Wii U owners this year.

What you are suggesting is an extra 12 months with nothing released at all.

Same goes for 3DS, Pokemon was the last really big game, next year has a few small releases but nothing major.

Well then there are many free 3DS developers that should have started making Switch games a while ago. I just dont get these ports if they have more developers than ever working on one console, great third party support and probably have several games that have been moved to the Switch because the WiiU didnt do well.

alot of 3DS developers just finished games in 2015/2016 so they are most likely developing Switch titles, they just arent 2017 titles.

Intelligent Systems released Fire Emblem Fates in Summer 2015

HAL Labs released Kirby: Planet Robobot in Spring 2016

Alpha Dream released Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam in Fall 2015

Next Level Games released Metroid Prime: Federation Force in Summer 2016

ND Cube released Mario Party: Star Rush in Fall 2016

Monster Games released Xenoblade Chonicles 3D in Spring 2015

Nintendo SPD released Rhythm Heaven Megamix in Spring 2015

Syn Sophia released Style Savvy: Fashion Forward in Spring 2015

Headstrong Games released Disney Art Academy in Spring 2016

Spike Chunsoft released Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon in Fall 2015

Skip Ltd released Chibi Robo Zip Lash in Fall 2015

Ambrella released Pokemon Rumble World in Spring 2015

Alot of these small/medium level developers are likely working on Switch titles that will likely release in 2018.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

Well then there are many free 3DS developers that should have started making Switch games a while ago. I just dont get these ports if they have more developers than ever working on one console, great third party support and probably have several games that have been moved to the Switch because the WiiU didnt do well.

alot of 3DS developers just finished games in 2015/2016 so they are most likely developing Switch titles, they just arent 2017 titles.

Intelligent Systems released Fire Emblem Fates in Summer 2015

HAL Labs released Kirby: Planet Robobot in Spring 2016

Alpha Dream released Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam in Fall 2015

Next Level Games released Metroid Prime: Federation Force in Summer 2016

ND Cube released Mario Party: Star Rush in Fall 2016

Monster Games released Xenoblade Chonicles 3D in Spring 2015

Nintendo SPD released Rhythm Heaven Megamix in Spring 2015

Syn Sophia released Style Savvy: Fashion Forward in Spring 2015

Headstrong Games released Disney Art Academy in Spring 2016

Spike Chunsoft released Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon in Fall 2015

Skip Ltd released Chibi Robo Zip Lash in Fall 2015

Ambrella released Pokemon Rumble World in Spring 2015

Alot of these small/medium level developers are likely working on Switch titles that will likely release in 2018.

A Switch for holiday 2017 with 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario/Rabbids RPG and third parties would be great then.

zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

I was hoping the unified library and Nintendo not announcing many games these past few years (because they're making NX games) would be the solution to that. I'm not upset about the ports and wont be regardless of their quality, but come January 12th I will be upset if they don't even mention Animal Crossing. That would mean they prioritized lackluster spin-offs and a mobile game over an actual Animal Crossing game that they will have had over 4 years to develop. It means Nintendo have basically been twiddling their thumbs this whole time instead of making great new experiences and I simply can't be happy about that, even if the enhanced Splatoon is amazeballs.

With New Leaf recently recieving a big update and the mobile game releasing next year, i would have to assume they have an Animal Crossing planned for relatively early in Switch's life.

With Splatoon+3D Mario+Mario Kart+Smash Bros+Zelda+Pokemon all slated for next year, i would think adding Animal Crossing to the mix would be overkill and the following year is going to need some big hitters so i feel pretty positive that 2018 will have a new Animal Crossing.

Yep just like we all assumed the Wii U would get an Animal Crossing game. :L

That's probably already more big hitters than any Nintendo system has gotten in the span of 9 months so what's one more! I don't believe you can ever have enough games as not everyone is interested in every game so you need a wide array of diverse titles to appeal to as many people as possible. While there is definitely overlap, I believe Animal Crossing better appeals to certain demographics than the aforementioned games. So yes I do want a new Animal Crossing asap for selfish reasons, but also because it would really help build a strong early installbase. I can wait of course so no big deal if it doesn't make 2017. I mainly just want confirmation that the game even exist, that they have indeed been working on it all this time.

KLXVER said:

A Switch for holiday 2017 with 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario/Rabbids RPG and third parties would be great then.

Except you are completely forgetting what we were just talking about, Nintendo going a full year without releasing anything notable.

Literally zero Wii U projects and no Wii U hardware along with just a few small 3DS projects and a few million 3DS hardware.

I just dont get it, youre upset about a few Wii U ports but going a full 12 months without any games is a better option.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pavolink said:
foxtail said:

A lot of people are missing an important factor for these ports.  Porting these Wii U games helps the Nintendo teams get familiar with the new Switch hardware and gets Wii U game engines running on Switch hardware which will expedite future releases of NEW games on the Switch in the process.  You got to learn to walk before you run.

So everytime they release a new machine Nintendo is going to port the past library to learn to develop for it?

With the different architecture of the Switch vs. former (GC to Wii U era) systems it's a good idea to get their top teams used to the new hardware fast.  And it's not like there isn't precedence for this even on past Nintendo systems.  The only difference is that they're porting more popular games and getting it done really early on.

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

Except you are completely forgetting what we were just talking about, Nintendo going a full year without releasing anything notable.

Literally zero Wii U projects and no Wii U hardware along with just a few small 3DS projects and a few million 3DS hardware.

I just dont get it, youre upset about a few Wii U ports but going a full 12 months without any games is a better option.

It would be a bit sad to wait another 8 months, but rather that than these ports. Remember for me and Im sure some other people, a port will be the same as nothing, so we are already getting fewer games. Around launch is where you are the most excited to play new games and I think these remasters will hurt more than anything. First impressions are important and if your console consist of like seven 2-3 year old ports in the first year(and thats just from Nintendo. Might be even more with third parties), then its harder to convince those people later in the consoles life. Believe it or not, but not every person interested in Nintendo are big Mario and Zelda fans.