By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why updated ports make sense for Nintendo fans

The only advantage I see in enhanced ports for anyone who owned a Wii U is being able to play your old titles on the go. Any other upgrades could feasibly be added to the Wii u version if Nintendo really wanted to. It would be nice if they had a sort of ambassador program for Wii u owners, to get a discount on all the new ports.

Either way, as someone who didn't own a Wii u, these ports are exactly what I was hoping for. Really looking forward to finally playing some of those games, and I'm glad I wont have to buy a used Wii u to do it.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

You really don't know what are you talking about, one of biggest Wii U problems actually was weak launch and 1st year line up and software droughts of 2-3 months, Wii U didn't had must have title or system seller in whole 1st year and did have periods of 2-3 months without any game release (I dont count some Indie craps). Wii U launch and 1st year lineup is probably weakest launch and 1st year lineup for any Nintendo platform (key Nintendo titles were Nintendo Land and NSMB HD), with longest softwares droughts ever.

Oh man...

Do you really believe that? Then im sorry for you. its wrong, btw.

The Gamecube had a way better lineup then the wii u and sold similar bad. The reason the wii u failed is: its gimmick wasnt super hyped and popular like the wii, it was expensive. Those are the 2 main points. Bad image, bad marketing came next.

Look at all nintendo consoles sales and remove wii. You will see a very consitent decrease in sales. Nintendo and their games just arnt as appealing to people now a days anymore and its gets worse and worse. Games like Witcher 3, GTA, Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Mass Effect are the games the majority of people want to play now a days. The Wii U wouldnt sell more then 20 mio (most likely not even more then 15-16 Mio) if they had released a mainline animal crossing, Metroid prime, zelda, fzero game on it as well. The switch will sell better then the wii u but only because its and handheld. It wont sell better then the 3ds and wii u combined for sure (thats the number to compare to) and will be the next failure be declining nintendos overall installbase gen per gen.

But sure, I dont know what im talking about. It obviously doesnt make any sense to discuss (even obvious things like that) with certain people. I already bookmarked and prooved MANY people on internet forums that were like you wrong. In the gamecube times, the wii u beginning and so on. It got boring. Bookmark this and qoute me in 2 years on this.

zorg1000 said:
Augen said:

I think if Nintendo does port games they also need to make a point that new titles are coming.

Yep like I said in the OP, porting these games potentially allows these teams to get a second project out sooner. Some examples.

From EAD Group 2, you either get Splatoon 2 in Fall 2017 or Splatoon 1.5 at launch & Animal Crossing for Fall 2018

From Sakurai, you either get Smash Bros 5 in Fall 2018 or Smash Bros 4.5 in mid 2017 & a new Kid Icarus in mid 2019.

From EAD Group 1, you either get Mario Kart 9 in Fall 2017 or MK8.5 in Spring 2017 and a new Nintendogs in 2018.

I think alot of people who are upset about these ports dont seem to realize is without them its possible Switch faces a Wii U situation where the big hitters are spread out too far and in some cases too late.

I was hoping the unified library and Nintendo not announcing many games these past few years (because they're making NX games) would be the solution to that. I'm not upset about the ports and wont be regardless of their quality, but come January 12th I will be upset if they don't even mention Animal Crossing. That would mean they prioritized lackluster spin-offs and a mobile game over an actual Animal Crossing game that they will have had over 4 years to develop. It means Nintendo have basically been twiddling their thumbs this whole time instead of making great new experiences and I simply can't be happy about that, even if the enhanced Splatoon is amazeballs.

Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:

Yep like I said in the OP, porting these games potentially allows these teams to get a second project out sooner. Some examples.

From EAD Group 2, you either get Splatoon 2 in Fall 2017 or Splatoon 1.5 at launch & Animal Crossing for Fall 2018

From Sakurai, you either get Smash Bros 5 in Fall 2018 or Smash Bros 4.5 in mid 2017 & a new Kid Icarus in mid 2019.

From EAD Group 1, you either get Mario Kart 9 in Fall 2017 or MK8.5 in Spring 2017 and a new Nintendogs in 2018.

I think alot of people who are upset about these ports dont seem to realize is without them its possible Switch faces a Wii U situation where the big hitters are spread out too far and in some cases too late.

I was hoping the unified library and Nintendo not announcing many games these past few years (because they're making NX games) would be the solution to that. I'm not upset about the ports and wont be regardless of their quality, but come January 12th I will be upset if they don't even mention Animal Crossing. That would mean they prioritized lackluster spin-offs and a mobile game over an actual Animal Crossing game that they will have had over 4 years to develop. It means Nintendo have basically been twiddling their thumbs this whole time instead of making great new experiences and I simply can't be happy about that, even if the enhanced Splatoon is amazeballs.

With New Leaf recently recieving a big update and the mobile game releasing next year, i would have to assume they have an Animal Crossing planned for relatively early in Switch's life.

With Splatoon+3D Mario+Mario Kart+Smash Bros+Zelda+Pokemon all slated for next year, i would think adding Animal Crossing to the mix would be overkill and the following year is going to need some big hitters so i feel pretty positive that 2018 will have a new Animal Crossing.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

With New Leaf recently recieving a big update and the mobile game releasing next year, i would have to assume they have an Animal Crossing planned for relatively early in Switch's life.

With Splatoon+3D Mario+Mario Kart+Smash Bros+Zelda+Pokemon all slated for next year, i would think adding Animal Crossing to the mix would be overkill and the following year is going to need some big hitters so i feel pretty positive that 2018 will have a new Animal Crossing.

Three new games in one year would be overkill? Come on dude...

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
zorg1000 said:

6 franchises each with the potential to easily sell 5 million..........you can be mad about those being updated ports all you want, it doesnt change the fact that they belong to massive franchises that always sell extremely well.

On top of the Pikmin, Retro Studios game & a new IP are rumored to be releasing.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

6 franchises each with the potential to easily sell 5 million..........you can be mad about those being updated ports all you want, it doesnt change the fact that they belong to massive franchises that always sell extremely well.

On top of the Pikmin, Retro Studios game & a new IP are rumored to be releasing.

Oh well, thats at least 3 years of amazing content...

From a business perspective it makes perfect sense.

There's little to no risk doing it.

What I don't understand is why Nintendo is porting Wii U games to 3DS. I get there isn't much going on this holiday season, but the Switch is literally 4 months away.

Wouldn't it make significantly more sense to simply announce these ports for Switch them having people buy inferior 3DS ports, and potentially have to buy them again for Switch. Again from a business standpoint I get it, it's easy money to sell the game twice.

But the reality is, that's only going to reduce Switch launch hype since these games can be bought on 3DS, and the majority of gamers don't enjoy buying the same game 2 times, let alone 3 times (Wii U -> 3DS -> Switch). Nintendo needs to really announce something about the Switch and your current library of digital games. If you can buy the digital versions, and download them to the Switch for Free or at the very least a reduced cost then people can already plan their libraries and enjoy buying the 3DS versions now.

I'm at the point of holding off on everything 3DS just in case there are Switch versions.

KLXVER said:
zorg1000 said:

what does that even mean?

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

what does that even mean?

Couple those with WiiU ports that have the potential to sell 5 million and Nintendo will swim in money. We are only talking about how to make Nintendo richer, right?