By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why updated ports make sense for Nintendo fans

KLXVER said:
Scisca said:

Bullshit. I wanted to play Wii U games but there's no way in hell I'm paying this much money for such a shitty console. I'm looking forward for updated ports on the Switch and I'm sure there are more people like me.

What made it a shitty console?

Being a PS3 on vitamins (not even steroids) for the price of a PS4. That's a no-no.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
Scisca said:
KLXVER said:

What made it a shitty console?

Being a PS3 on vitamins (not even steroids) for the price of a PS4. That's a no-no.

You dont even know how powerful the Switch is...

I don't agree on all ports, some games done already what's needed from them, splatoon has already sold enough, they should have created a successor instead of a port, Mario Kart and smash are the same, Xenoblade, tropical freeze may desire ports cos there's more potential in these games than what they achieved on Wii U
Nintendo should realise that Switch system doesn't have enough time on its hands, and they should not repeat the mistake again of releasing a successor without moving their first party teams to work on it, It's important for switch to succeed, but it's also important for it's successor to succeed as well, I say three years of first party on switch and then they should work on the successor
Me I want the third xenoblade, new splatoon, new Mario 3d, & a new Mario maker, just as well as couple of other titles' so no sorry I don't want them to keep porting Wii U games especially those who already done fine enough

KLXVER said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

A third party that would be doing something for some other company?

This will only increase the Switches output, not slow down existing developing games. 

The people who really wanted to play the WiiU games, have played the WiiU games. The WiiU has been around for 4 years. Forget them and focus on making new games. They dont need to make a handheld and a console version anymore. The developers time have already been freed up to do other things. Why not make MK9, SSB5 and Splatoon 2 that everyone can enjoy, instead of trying to appeal to people who dont think these franchises are good enough to buy a console for?

Look at it this way, Mario Kart 7 has sold almost 14 million while Mario Kart 8 has sold 8 million and MK7.

Even if we assume that 100% of MK8 owners also have MK7 than thats 6 million MK7 owners who do not have MK8. If that number is closer to 50% than thats 10 million MK7 owners who do not have MK8.

Thats a potential 6-10 million MK7 owners who could upgrade since Switch is not only a Wii U successor but also a 3DS successor.

Same goes for Smash Bros, It has sold 8.35 million on 3DS & about 5 million on Wii U so using the same 50-100% crossover rule, thats 3-6 million Smash 3DS owners who dont have Smash U.

Splatoon has never been on 3DS so who knows how many 3DS owners who upgrade to Switch will get it.

3DS has sold nearly 50 million more than Wii U so there are clearly millions upon millions of people in the Nintendo audience who have not played these games.

Also depending on how much new content they have, there will likely be a good deal of double dippers.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

The people who really wanted to play the WiiU games, have played the WiiU games. The WiiU has been around for 4 years. Forget them and focus on making new games. They dont need to make a handheld and a console version anymore. The developers time have already been freed up to do other things. Why not make MK9, SSB5 and Splatoon 2 that everyone can enjoy, instead of trying to appeal to people who dont think these franchises are good enough to buy a console for?

Look at it this way, Mario Kart 7 has sold almost 14 million while Mario Kart 8 has sold 8 million and MK7.

Even if we assume that 100% of MK8 owners also have MK7 than thats 6 million MK7 owners who do not have MK8. If that number is closer to 50% than thats 10 million MK7 owners who do not have MK8.

Thats a potential 6-10 million MK7 owners who could upgrade since Switch is not only a Wii U successor but also a 3DS successor.

Same goes for Smash Bros, It has sold 8.35 million on 3DS & about 5 million on Wii U so using the same 50-100% crossover rule, thats 3-6 million Smash 3DS owners who dont have Smash U.

Splatoon has never been on 3DS so who knows how many 3DS owners who upgrade to Switch will get it.

3DS has sold nearly 50 million more than Wii U so there are clearly millions upon millions of people in the Nintendo audience who have not played these games.

Also depending on how much new content they have, there will likely be a good deal of double dippers.

It doesnt matter how many have played it or not. Theres over 6 billion people that hasnt played Mario Kart 8. You make a new console, you make new games for it. Its as simple as that. If you want to remake an old game to make it better by todays standards, then fair enough.

Like I said before, I will be ok with these remasters if they have about as much new content as the games had at launch. So if they are close to twice as big, then fair enough.

Around the Network

A lot of people are missing an important factor for these ports.  Porting these Wii U games helps the Nintendo teams get familiar with the new Switch hardware and gets Wii U game engines running on Switch hardware which will expedite future releases of NEW games on the Switch in the process.  You got to learn to walk before you run.

foxtail said:

A lot of people are missing an important factor for these ports.  Porting these Wii U games helps the Nintendo teams get familiar with the new Switch hardware and gets Wii U game engines running on Switch hardware which will expedite future releases of NEW games on the Switch in the process.  You got to learn to walk before you run.

It has worked for them since the NES, so I dont see how the Switch would be different.

KLXVER said:
foxtail said:

It has worked for them since the NES, so I dont see how the Switch would be different.

Games were a lot less complex in the past, why would they start from scratch with all the modern work they've done with the Wii U?

foxtail said:
KLXVER said:

Games were a lot less complex in the past, why would they start from scratch with the all modern work they've done with the Wii U?

Why would they start from scratch? Because they are releasing a new system.

KLXVER said:
foxtail said:

Games were a lot less complex in the past, why would they start from scratch with the all modern work they've done with the Wii U?

Why would they start from scratch? Because they are releasing a new system.

Game engines are also updated and reused on new systems.  And if porting games expedites the learning process of the new system why not use it?