By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why updated ports make sense for Nintendo fans

Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:

With New Leaf recently recieving a big update and the mobile game releasing next year, i would have to assume they have an Animal Crossing planned for relatively early in Switch's life.

With Splatoon+3D Mario+Mario Kart+Smash Bros+Zelda+Pokemon all slated for next year, i would think adding Animal Crossing to the mix would be overkill and the following year is going to need some big hitters so i feel pretty positive that 2018 will have a new Animal Crossing.

Yep just like we all assumed the Wii U would get an Animal Crossing game. :L

That's probably already more big hitters than any Nintendo system has gotten in the span of 9 months so what's one more! I don't believe you can ever have enough games as not everyone is interested in every game so you need a wide array of diverse titles to appeal to as many people as possible. While there is definitely overlap, I believe Animal Crossing better appeals to certain demographics than the aforementioned games. So yes I do want a new Animal Crossing asap for selfish reasons, but also because it would really help build a strong early installbase. I can wait of course so no big deal if it doesn't make 2017. I mainly just want confirmation that the game even exist, that they have indeed been working on it all this time.

Ya we assumed Wii U would get Animal Crossing, it got Splatoon instead. A pretty fair trade-off.

The rumored 1st party lineup is already pretty diverse

3D Mario-3D platformer

Splatoon-3rd person multiplayer shooter

Mario Kart-arcade style racer

Zelda-open world action game

Smash Bros-multiplayer brawler

Xenoblade X-open world JRPG

Mario Maker-2D platformer creator

Pokemon-turn based JRPG

Pikmin-real time strategy

With that lineup Animal Crossing isnt really necessary and would be better served as a 2018 title.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
foxtail said:
Pavolink said:

So everytime they release a new machine Nintendo is going to port the past library to learn to develop for it?

With the different architecture of the Switch vs. former (GC to Wii U era) systems it's a good idea to their top teams used to the new hardware fast.  And it's not like there isn't precedence for this even on past Nintendo systems.  The only difference is that they're porting more popular games and getting it done really early on.

TP was released first on Wii than GC. RE games were fillers, not counted as "big" releases. On top of that, there was a new controller input for the Wii versions unlike the wii u ports to switch.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:

TP was released first on Wii than GC. RE games were fillers, not counted as "big" releases. On top of that, there was a new controller input for the Wii versions unlike the wii u ports to switch.

They were still ports that let them adapt to new hardware.  TP was firstly a port of what was originally a GC game regardless of releasing a few weeks later (it was released the same day in JP).  They were all ports of Gamecube games that took advantage of the new Wii hardware (which was more the Wiimote). Likewise the Wii U ports will make use of whatever new things they can to take advantage of the new Switch hardware (which might be more power and portability).

KLXVER said:
oniyide said:

that might not be enough to sustain if they wait for Switch to release next holidays.

Sustain what?

profits!

foxtail said:
Pavolink said:

They were still ports that let them adapt to new hardware.  TP was firstly a port of what was originally a GC game regardless of releasing a few weeks later (it was released the same day in JP).  They were all ports of Gamecube games that took advantage of the new Wii hardware (which was more the Wiimote). Likewise the Wii U ports will make use of whatever new things they can to take advantage of the new Switch hardware (which might be more power and portability).

More power and portability does not add the same as a Wii remote. On top of that, once again, even when those were ports those were tretaed like that, ports, not as a big release like the Wii U ports to Switch according to the OP.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
oniyide said:
KLXVER said:

Sustain what?

profits!

Didnt help during the WiiU when they actually released games for it, so I dont know. They still have games for the 3DS coming, they have new mobile games coming and the NES Mini.

KLXVER said:
zorg1000 said:

Except you are completely forgetting what we were just talking about, Nintendo going a full year without releasing anything notable.

Literally zero Wii U projects and no Wii U hardware along with just a few small 3DS projects and a few million 3DS hardware.

I just dont get it, youre upset about a few Wii U ports but going a full 12 months without any games is a better option.

It would be a bit sad to wait another 8 months, but rather that than these ports. Remember for me and Im sure some other people, a port will be the same as nothing, so we are already getting fewer games. Around launch is where you are the most excited to play new games and I think these remasters will hurt more than anything. First impressions are important and if your console consist of like seven 2-3 year old ports in the first year(and thats just from Nintendo. Might be even more with third parties), then its harder to convince those people later in the consoles life. Believe it or not, but not every person interested in Nintendo are big Mario and Zelda fans.

Ya that makes sense wait an extra 8 months to play games instead of playing no games.

Ya for you and others these ports will be as good as nothing, that is far outweighed by the potential millions of people who will play these for the first time and the people willing to double dip in order to play the new content.

You have to think about risk-reward.

The risk of releasing updated ports to flesh out the first year lineup is low, the potential reward is high as they could be multi million selling titles and cause people to buy a Switch.

The risk of delaying hardware and software by 8 months leaving no notable releases for an entire year is high, the reward isnt any higher than the potential reward by going with the other option.

You and others are thinking too much from a "hardcore" gamers perspective, the general audience is not going to mind that a system has a few updated ports.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pavolink said:
foxtail said:

More power and portability does not add the same as a Wii remote. On top of that, once again, even when those were ports those were tretaed like that, ports, not as a big release like the Wii U ports to Switch according to the OP.

portability can add just as much or more than motion controls for many people, i gaurantee Splatoon on the go with be huge, especially in Japan.

KLXVER said:
oniyide said:

profits!

Didnt help during the WiiU when they actually released games for it, so I dont know. They still have games for the 3DS coming, they have new mobile games coming and the NES Mini.

The games coming to 3DS in 2017 are small games that wont contribute significantly to their profits.

The point of NES Mini & mobile games are to build up interest for Nintendo hardware/software, thats hard to do when no new hardware/software is being released.

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

It would be a bit sad to wait another 8 months, but rather that than these ports. Remember for me and Im sure some other people, a port will be the same as nothing, so we are already getting fewer games. Around launch is where you are the most excited to play new games and I think these remasters will hurt more than anything. First impressions are important and if your console consist of like seven 2-3 year old ports in the first year(and thats just from Nintendo. Might be even more with third parties), then its harder to convince those people later in the consoles life. Believe it or not, but not every person interested in Nintendo are big Mario and Zelda fans.

Ya that makes sense wait an extra 8 months to play games instead of playing no games.

Ya for you and others these ports will be as good as nothing, that is far outweighed by the potential millions of people who will play these for the first time and the people willing to double dip in order to play the new content.

You have to think about risk-reward.

The risk of releasing updated ports to flesh out the first year lineup is low, the potential reward is high as they could be multi million selling titles and cause people to buy a Switch.

The risk of delaying hardware and software by 8 months leaving no notable releases for an entire year is high, the reward isnt any higher than the potential reward by going with the other option.

You and others are thinking too much from a "hardcore" gamers perspective, the general audience is not going to mind that a system has a few updated ports.

Why would these people buy a Switch to play WiiU games? At least wait a few months to see if many people who didnt own a WiiU gets a Switch. The first one on board will be the core gamers who owned a WiiU. Why not start with them before giving your attention to people who might not even exist?