By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer - Some games running worse on ps4 pro than the base ps4

Two easy solutions:
- the games give PS4 Pro users the option to run in PS4 mode, ignoring the Pro mode
- the firmware settings give PS4 Pro users the option to run games in PS4 mode, ignoring the Pro mode

Around the Network
onionberry said:
Lawlight said:
Nothing a patch won't fix. And it's a total of 4 games.

My only concern about this is the future of other games. Cause they are promising supersampling for future games if you're playing at 1080p. let's say that mass effect runs at 1080p on the normal ps4, on the ps4 pro the game is going to require more power to run the game at 1080p because of that feature, that means that developers will need to work more on the optimization, and developers these days are kinda lazy.

If a developer wants to get the most out of the Pro then sure, they'll need to spend additional time optimising (and they should know in advanced if they can do that without secondary issues arising). If they just want a general upgrade though, which i'm sure will be the case for some developers, the workload should be very minimal. 

It's important to remember that the Pro is arguably the most linear console upgrade we've ever seen, to run standard PS4 titles it almost literally turns itself into an actual standard PS4 (the RAM's bandwidth is reduced, the CPU is downclocked, and half the GPU is turned off. Ta-da, a standard PS4). If a developer doesn't wish to make any upgrades, they shouldn't need to do much of anything bar double checking everything works fine.

Personally, i am disappointed by what DF are showing. They aren't major issues (as DF say, in most instances they're small and fleeting), but Sony have a responsibility to their Pro customers to offer them a definitive experience with no compromises, and they're not 100% fulfilling that here. That said, i'd be incredibly surprised if this wasn't just teething problems, i think likely relating to launch deadlines. That doesn't make it okay, and hopefully Sony were lax on their performance policy purely because of the launch deadline, but i don't think there's much need to worry yet.

Conina said:

Two easy solutions:
- the games give PS4 Pro users the option to run in PS4 mode, ignoring the Pro mode
- the firmware settings give PS4 Pro users the option to run games in PS4 mode, ignoring the Pro mode

Such options shouldn't be necessary in the first place. As i said to onionberry, i personally think this is just teething problems relating to launch deadlines, but Sony have should been harsher in enforcing their performance policy. It's not like every patch had to arrive on launch day. I doubt it'd have made a dramatic difference to sales. Games not hitting the mark should have been told to either decrease their settings at launch and introduce a second patch later, or simply wait until they're ready.

vivster said:

I swear that WoFF runs at a lower resolution on Pro than on PS4. I don't have prove though.

edit: HA I KNEW IT! My eyes aren't broken after all.

http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2016/11/11/world-of-final-fantasy-performing-worse-at-1080p-on-ps4-pro-than-base-console/

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/168651-world-of-final-fantasy/74545902

I wonder what's causing it? The 4k version is apparently fine, so clearly something is happening between the initial render and the downscaling. Tis' a pretty silly business regardless. 

As someone with a Pro, I can vouch that most pro enhanced games run much more smoothly than on a normal ps4, while also delivering a very noticeable graphical upgrade, so some need to slow down with their "omg, what a terrible idea the console was" nonsense, but I agree with Zekk that these are likely just teething problems, unfortunate but probably inevitable. Even though the architecture is largely similar to the OG ps4, there is still enough new that it might take a little bit to optimize. Most games run much more smoothly on my Pro, including Infinite Warfare, Tomb Raider (runs at twice the framerate), Infamous First Light (ditto), Shadow of Mordor and Battlefield 1. 

As to World of Final Fantasy, I can vouch that Square Enix did indeed botch the current patch on the game. On the pro, it looks very fuzzy and blurry. It is clearly an error on S-E's part, as every other game I've tested has near (if not fully) pristine image quality. 

Around the Network

Lol! Say what?!?!?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

As always Sony trying to sell greatness with hardware that's not capable of it ends like this.

User was warned for this post ~ CGI

This is a real issue but I just cannot fucking believe this meltdown on internet forums and I'm talking about them all. For fucks sake...

The problem is in the supersampled 1080p mode which for some games on Pro is currently the only mode you can use on 1080p screens. It is not rendering native 1080p but more demanding higher resolution. It is not comparable to base PS4 native 1080p. We don't need a base PS4 mode for Pro, that would be a waste of Pro's performance. Developers need to do native 1080p mode for Pro and upgrade the graphics from there if possible without sacrificing framerate.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Zekkyou said:
Conina said:

Two easy solutions:

Can't be the case because bloodborne runs better on my pspro than on my normal ps4. The game has 0 stuttering and 0 frames drops while on my normal ps4 i fell the microstuttering, so its using the extra power without an official ps4 pro patch.

Edit: I didn't read the right thing, now I understand what you're saying my bad.

Eek, that's a bit embarrassing.

Resolution should never be prioritized over framerate in my opinion, but then again, since I will never buy a PS4 Pro, or a standard PS4 for that matter, my opinion is purely academic.