By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is UC4 considered a better game than Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Both games depend on story and Naughty Dogs only competition in that department is Rockstar Games. Hell..even Infinite Warfare stood to benefit from hiring former Naughty Dog writers. Tomb Raider, while being a good secondary game to Uncharted lacks the grace of what makes Uncharted...well..Uncharted. Tomb Raiders storyline is very generic and provides few twists. In Uncharted you don't feel like you're as overpowered with weaponry as you are in Tomb Raider as well. I played both games on hard or worse and trust me...Uncharted 4 was much harder. You feel more athletic as Nathan, but you feel less overpowered than Lara. It gives you more motivation to want to live.

Uncharteds story has layers and depth and the secondary characters. Tomb Raider is and will always be the Lara show until they give her a partner who can truly watch her back, which makes no sense to me the way her character has been built. 

Around the Network
Mbolibombo said:

While I enjoy both franchises I cant understand why UC4 got such rave reviews compared to TR.. it's a good game. But I cant see a single thing that makes it a better game than Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Please enlighten me, I am all ears. For the heck of it, include DOOM as well. That game is a masterpiece but while getting great reviews, it's off from the other two games, especially UC4.

This is why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAXvu_Zl2g0

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I don't understand either. I thought Uncharted 4 was boring with poor pacing and a story that felt like it dragged on forever. In fact, I haven't even finished the game yet because I don't have any motivation to play it, and I bought this game at launch. Just so people know, I have platinum trophies for Uncharted 2, 3, and Last of Us, so I'm not a ND or Uncharted hater by any standards, in fact I am a huge fan of the franchise.

The larger maps IMO did not suit this game. The more mature storytelling didn't suit it either. The stealth is broken/BS, and the rope jumping mechanic seemed like an annoying tacked on feature. As with the story, I completely lost interest after about Chapter 15. I felt they could've ended the story much sooner, but it seemed to just drag on forever like a cat and mouse game. If this wasn't an Uncharted game I am certain it would've scored in the mid-upper 80s in Metacritic (which is not bad but is IMO more consistent with what this game deserves).

Because its more fun.

Cirio said:

I don't understand either. I thought Uncharted 4 was boring with poor pacing and a story that felt like it dragged on forever. In fact, I haven't even finished the game yet because I don't have any motivation to play it, and I bought this game at launch. Just so people know, I have platinum trophies for Uncharted 2, 3, and Last of Us, so I'm not a ND or Uncharted hater by any standards, in fact I am a huge fan of the franchise.

The larger maps IMO did not suit this game. The more mature storytelling didn't suit it either. The stealth is broken/BS, and the rope jumping mechanic seemed like an annoying tacked on feature. As with the story, I completely lost interest after about Chapter 15. I felt they could've ended the story much sooner, but it seemed to just drag on forever like a cat and mouse game. If this wasn't an Uncharted game I am certain it would've scored in the mid-upper 80s in Metacritic (which is not bad but is IMO more consistent with what this game deserves).

Uncharted has a deeper story with more loose ends to tie up since they introduced a new character. IMHO they handled his borthers addition masterfully and in a way most gaming devs would've failed to even attempt. It makes Tomb Raiders writing look very simple as well.

Around the Network

Tomb Raider is like the hard working dude that arrives in the job early and gets out late, do his best, scape lunch hour to produce a little more and really worries.
Uncharted is the cool crazy genious that wakes up at noon, shows up to work in jeans and put the feet up in the desk. But in the middle of the day he comes up with a amazing idead that boost profit by 300%.
That is why: Uncharted is cooler.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cirio said:

Uncharted has a deeper story with more loose ends to tie up since they introduced a new character. IMHO they handled his borthers addition masterfully and in a way most gaming devs would've failed to even attempt. It makes Tomb Raiders writing look very simple as well.

Well like I said, I never finished the game because I found it boring so maybe they did finish it gracefully. However my issue is with the pacing of the story. It didn't keep my attention like the previous games did and felt like it dragged on forever. To me it feels like they could've ended it much sooner, but for the sake of having "Nate's grand conclusion" combined with living up to TLOU's legacy, they stretched the story and game out longer than they should have.

Uncharted 4, and the Uncharted games in general, have a few really great moments, but the rest of it feels like a chore. It's linear, and there's no kind of character progression, and little motivation to find treasures unless you plan on playing through the game several times. I enjoyed the combat, but I would have loved to be able to fast forward through the climbing sections, which is just a matter of finding the bit of rock that sticks out a bit more.

Haven't played Rise yet, but I liked the first Tomb Raider more than Uncharted 4. There is an upgrade system that serves as motivation to search through the areas. Your enemies generally don't have guns, which adds a bit of variety to the combat, rather than forcing you to play a high stakes game of peekaboo. That being said, it didn't control as well as Uncharted, and it certainly doesn't look as good.

In terms of story, I didn't really like either. The story of Tomb Raider is basic, but Lara herself gets annoying by the midway point of the game. Uncharted 4 thinks I care about Drake's childhood and marital problems, but I really don't.

Tomb Raider feels more like a game, where Uncharted often feels like an interactive movie, which is why I prefer Tomb Raider.

Cirio said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Well like I said, I never finished the game because I found it boring so maybe they did finish it gracefully. However my issue is with the pacing of the story. It didn't keep my attention like the previous games did and felt like it dragged on forever. To me it feels like they could've ended it much sooner, but for the sake of having "Nate's grand conclusion" combined with living up to TLOU's legacy, they stretched the story and game out longer than they should have.

The head writer of Uncharted left Naughty Dog. Neil Druckman took up the mantle. Neil tends to ground stories and give the characters more character development than is ususal in typical Uncharted games. In this game we saw an older, more mature nathan who was getting ready to retire. Its not about TLOU legacy. That was just a better game in itself.

Better graphics, better story, better set pieces, and it has legitimately good multiplayer. I'd say the shooting is slightly better in Uncharted 4 too. Tomb Raider's Metroidvania elements and better puzzles give it an edge over Uncharted but, overall, I think Uncharted wins in more categories.