By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is UC4 considered a better game than Rise of the Tomb Raider?

As a person who recently played RotTR and UC4, I prefer RotTR gameplay a lot more, UC4 has a lot of slow sections but not just that! climbing is constantly used and for me sometimes this breaks the immersion to me, I think both have their flaws and complement each other if you play both. I have to give credit to UC4 too, better characters and story!.

Around the Network

Didn't play RotTR, but I prefer almost any Uncharted over the Tomb Raider reboot, even if it's the same kind of game. Better graphics for UC4, but also better story and characters. Tomb Raider takes itself so seriously and do it pretty badly IMO, it made me cringe a lot of times when I played it. The "OMG I killed someone, that's awful" self-pity, and a few minutes later "That's right, I have a grenade launcher, come here, I'll kill you all!" still hurts. At least in Uncharted, even the characters acknowledge that they're doing ridiculous or surrealistic things and laugh about it. One is closer to a comedy, the other is a drama but with a similar content, it's obvious one of them has a tone issue.

Uncharted 4 is less on action side but this is for the sake of the story. Plus multiplayer is great. Great story and perfect ending for the series, awesome visuals and art direction, great multiplayer all in one package. Tomb Raider is a little behind in this regard. Better game got better reception and I see no problem.

Uncharted is in no way near perfect, but the specialty of the series is that it delivers all the aspect perfectly and everything else just clicks and flows. For me the only complaint in uncharted 4 was that it was a bit of departure from previous Uncharted games. And I think Naughty Dog could have easily nailed the gameplay and improvised it further than The Last of Us, but i m glad they didn't, Thats not what Uncharted is all about, its all about progressing through the story with these character.

On the other hand I left TRR in between as i felt it had too much of an identity crisis, I didnt feel the need to play even though the gameplay was solid. The characters lacked depth and emotion, it took itself way too seriously I guess Uncharted's impeccable presentation has spoiled me. And I guess here lies the problem, when i played tomb raider, I was expecting an uncharted like experience, I was constatly thinking what Drake would do or say in this situation, so now when I buy RoTR I will have set my expectation to a Far Cry 4 level or MGS5.

Or in short this 1 minute clip will tell you Uncharted > Tomb Raider (people who played UC4 will understand)

P.S. Uncharted 4 made me cry with its ending. Happy tears

I haven't played any of the games, but I did play their predecessors; Uncharted 1 and 2 and Tomb Raider (the reboot). Out of all the three games I enjoyed Tomb Raider the most and really thought UC were over rated. But like I said, I haven't played UC4 or RotTR

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

As someone who greatly enjoys both games, I completely understand why Uncharted 4 was seen as a better game. While I enjoy the exploration sections of Rise more, Uncharted 4 just nails everything else. The writing, story, characters and gunplay are all superior (in my opinion) than Tomb Raider, with the gulf between the stories they tell being quite wide. Tomb Raider is a very good game, and I especially like the Endurance mode, but its story is mediocre (and its dialogue, unfortunately, is bad, especially Constantine and his sister) and its gunplay is a step down from the 2013 Reboot. That being said, both games are at the top of their class, and being considering "slightly less" fantastic than Uncharted is nothing to scoff at. You're allowed to like one over the other without being mystified, OP. 

Uncharted 4 delivers story, characters and pacing far better than RotTR. Uncharted 4 also took TLOU elements in terms of story telling via scenery and collectibles. It didn't force it on you but if you chose to look further, it gave further depth to the story.

I find the gameplay more fun in UC4. You have options on how to engage and at times skip the fights all together. The marriage of platforming, hand to hand and weapon combat also feels more refined and fun than TR.

My last reason is a bit different. UC as afranchise has always been more like Indiana Jones whilst TR has been Quatarman or Romancing the Stone.

Both (better) Indie films and UC rely on a great supporting cast and a treasure grounded in history which is fairly well known.

Last but not least, I can't stand the new Lara. It's like CD want us to constantly feel sorry for her as she almost dies with every other step she takes. She comes across like those people in social media who always post about how bad things are for them and expect people to run to their rescue.

Plenty of people prefer Tomb Raider, but i'd argue that Uncharted 4 does a better job of appealing to its target audience. The end result of that is the perception that UC4 is a better game.

Better gameplay, better graphics, more variety of environments, more detailed environments, better traversal mechanics, better shooting mechanics, better stealth mechanics, better characters, better acting, better script and better franchise.

The PS5 Exists. 

Radek said:

Seriously? PS4 version of RoTR is barely 5 poinst behind Uncharted 4... But here's my opinion.

Uncharted 4 has that amazing cinematic story telling, chapter based gameplay throwing you to the past then to the future, amazing characters that you care about, it has that feeling where in the world are we going next...

Music, characters, cinematics plays a huge role. Puzzles like the Church bell were simple yet really satysfying, driving Jeep in big locations like Madagascar was really fun, and there was quite a few places you could miss.

There's both funny/happy things happening and sad/scary things happening.

In Uncharted 4 you really cared about Elena and your brother Sam and your friend Sully.

Graphics are also better in Uncharted but I don't think it's a main reason game is "generally" consired better.

One thing I liked about Uncharted 4 as well was lack of resource grinding, crafting and bullshit like that, also much less backtracking. 

I loved how they added stealth approach, you could not only kill enemies, but take them down non lethaly or even sneak by all of them (like in Scotland grave yard) It felt like Nathan was less of a serial killer than Lara, which is quite frankly sad.

It always felt exciting to go to a new country, however late in the game you spend quite a lot of time in the Jungle...

Can't wait for Story DLC, maybe they announce it on Playstation Experience.

That said Rise of the Tomb Raider is still an amazing game, just not as good in my opinion.

Actually, you have several non lethal attacks in RotTR and there's even bonuses for getting through an area without killing or even engaging the enemy.