By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A PS3 in the US in 2011 will be retailing for around $199.

Great, I will wait till 2011 to get one... :)

Around the Network

I´m quite confused by this post.

Why do some people still think Playstation 3 sales will explode when the console hits a certain price?

In 2011 the Playstation 3 will be just as "dead" as any other of the two consoles (which depends on the market as a whole). I hope you realize that´s how it worked for 6 generations now and the Playstation 3 won´t be a different case.

The Playstation 2 is still selling because of its mass market appeal and the big library of titles, not because Sony said so.

This generation Sony isn´t market leader anymore. 3rd parties will not release dozens of titles for the PS3 in 2011 anymore even if its userbase is as big as 60 million units as you predicted. Nintendo is market leader now, if a console has the chance to sell after 2011 it is the Wii.

Please keep in mind: If this generation continues after 2011 the Playstation 3 will continue to sell for some more years. But Sony is not in a position to ignore the steps Nintendo and Microsoft do.

Imagine Nintendo anouncing its next console for 2012 - do you really think Sony could ignore that? Do you really think they´d push the PS3 after 2011 in that case? Do you think they´d stick with their "10 year plan"?

That plan was developed with Sony as the clear market leader in mind, like they dominated during the PS2 era. Now things have changed, and while Sony will still be very successful with the PS3 it is unlikely they will see the 3rd party support they´d need to survive into the next generation.

Additionally, it is highly unlikely Sony will wait to drop the price to 200$ untill 2011... which makes your scenario even more unrealistic.

Again: This scenario only works if Sony pushes the PS3 after 2011 as their primary console - but they cannot ignore the steps Nintendo and Microsoft do as that would mean they´d lose even more market share during the 8th gen. 

Sony will need to be well under $200 in 2010 if they want to compete.

By that time, MS will be able to launch a new Blu-ray Xbox that will smash the PS3 power-wise for about $300.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

During the year 2009 (probably mid) is when I would bet on a $200 price tag. By then 360 will be ranging from $120-$170 and Wii's will probably be $150 as they will be dominate by a big margin and won't need to be less expensive than 360's or PS3's.

However, I don't see the PS3 being more than 60m in LTD sales. At this point in the gen I see the 360 ~ 35m, PS3 ~ 50m, and Wii ~150m LTD.

rocketpig said:
By that time, MS will be able to launch a new Blu-ray Xbox that will smash the PS3 power-wise for about $300.

Ha.. yeah..

Around the Network

2011 lol

''Hadouken!''

Supposed said:
rocketpig said:

Ha.. yeah..

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or laughing... Either way, a pretty smart guy named Moore came up with a law about 40 years ago that agrees with me...

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

word @ Louie

''Hadouken!''

rocketpig said:
Sony will need to be well under $200 in 2010 if they want to compete.

Around about the 5 year aniversary mark of the XBox 360 that is November 2010 a new XBox could be launched. It would be an improvement on both PS3 and the XBox 360. Both Microsoft and Sony are in research and developing  their next console project. BTW as soon as a new console is launched the new console is planned, researched and then developed.

rocketpig said:
Supposed said:
rocketpig said:

Ha.. yeah..

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or laughing... Either way, a pretty smart guy named Moore came up with a law about 40 years ago that agrees with me...

Microsoft themselves said there wouldn't be a blu-ray add-on for the 360, let alone a fully integrated drive. After all their pushing of downloadable media, blu-ray is a regression for microsoft and doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.