By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A PS3 in the US in 2011 will be retailing for around $199.

Old last gen PS3 for $199? or a new Wii 2Hd for $299? Hmmm...decisions, decisions...which one can I play the new Zelda on?

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
Old last gen PS3 for $199? or a new Wii 2Hd for $299? Hmmm...decisions, decisions...which one can I play the new Zelda on?

I would buy a PS3 more games a lot cheaper and I am not a big fan of Nintendo or Microsoft games.

I think that's doubtful, a PS2 is still $129.99 7 years later, to expect a PS3 for $199 Including a HDD and BDRom in 3 years is probably too optimistic.

Realistically, I don't think that any console will be able to pass the 40 Million user mark while it is priced above $200. Beyond that, pricing the PS3 at $199 in 2011 and expecting the PS3 to (suddenly) start selling well, and for it to have a long life is silly. In 2011 it will be trivial for Nintendo and Microsoft to produce much more powerful, much more feature rich consoles, sell them at $199 and have the benefit of being the new product (rather than the 'unpopular' old product).

HappySqurriel said:

Realistically, I don't think that any console will be able to pass the 40 Million user mark while it is priced above $200. Beyond that, pricing the PS3 at $199 in 2011 and expecting the PS3 to (suddenly) start selling well, and for it to have a long life is silly. In 2011 it will be trivial for Nintendo and Microsoft to produce much more powerful, much more feature rich consoles, sell them at $199 and have the benefit of being the new product (rather than the 'unpopular' old product).

Which is why the ps2 is outselling the new "popular" products world wide.

;P

On topic:

The ps3 will never be $199.99 its got to many things for it to be priced that low, also I dont believe sony need it to be $199.99 to steal market share from nintendo.

I think that this year the 40gb will drop to $349.99, and the 80gb will be no longer bundled with MGS4 and priced at $449.99

Games is what will drive sales, sure it may still be expensive, but sony have to make money.

mM
Around the Network
RAZurrection said:
I think that's doubtful, a PS2 is still $129.99 7 years later, to expect a PS3 for $199 Including a HDD and BDRom in 3 years is probably too optimistic.

The PS2 sold a lot better so I don't think it's too unlikely.

pearljammer said:
Neos said:
200 just in 2011? that's way too late imo..

I agree. Wayyyy too late.

i double agree that its to late.

But if sony is selling pretty well and making money i dont think they will try to lower cost intill everything is profitable. so if blu-ray is still to much money to make in 2011 (over 300 to produce) then they will not drop it. It all depends on how its selling.

leo-j said:
HappySqurriel said:

Which is why the ps2 is outselling the new "popular" products world wide.

;P

On topic:

The ps3 will never be $199.99 its got to many things for it to be priced that low, also I dont believe sony need it to be $199.99 to steal market share from nintendo.

I think that this year the 40gb will drop to $349.99, and the 80gb will be no longer bundled with MGS4 and priced at $449.99

Games is what will drive sales, sure it may still be expensive, but sony have to make money.

Had Nintendo decided to continue to push the Gamecube against the PS3 or XBox 360 do you really think they would have sold 25 Million Gamecube's in 18 months? One of the main reasons why established systems sell the way they do is how they have sold in the past ...

200 is when you begin to open a floodgate of sales.

150 is Mass Market price.

If PS3 doesn't hit 200 till 2011 it's probably going to be in a LOT of trouble sales wise.

I expect earlier. 2011 @ $199 would be a super late move by Sony.