By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A PS3 in the US in 2011 will be retailing for around $199.

rocketpig said:

One thing I think we know for sure is that no company will be taking a significant loss on hardware next generation and no console will break $400 at launch, with Sony and MS likely targeting a $300 price point. Let's hope they get this stupid "multiple SKUs" thing out of their system this generation, too.

QFT

I can't stand the different models. The Core, Arcade, Premium, Elite. and then Sony with the 20GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB.

Seriously, I can see an upgrade in harddrive size once or twice, but this is just rediculous.

Around the Network
RAZurrection said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
RAZurrection said:
I think some people have just realised without a competitive price tage Sony isn't going to win this gen, or take silver place when next gen begins.

1) Which doesn't matter at all, since N or MS can "start the next gen" whenever they want by launching another console.

2)What matters for the company is: how much money does their game line make (Sony'll make more than MS in the vast majority of years, as in the past....MS might win one year out of 5 when Sony happens to take a loss for its new gen), and for gamers it's a matter of:

3) how much fun did you have and what value did you receive (did the manufacturer put out a crap product that often breaks, did you have to pay for online play, how laggy was online play and could devs try a lot of different formats with online play, did you have to shell out extra for wifi, does your console play HD movies on the winning side or the losing one, how long will the console be around with a very large stable of good games, etc)

1) That's the greatest power of all, that either one of them could snap their fingers and reduce Sony to bronze with 2 words "Holiday 2009"

2) I imagine Sony makes a fair bit on PS2 and PSP and very little on PS3, the hardware losses are obvious with $3 billion down the pan, but here's something that isn't - Sony's has to bundle every single first party game to get it to 1 million, how can they expect to make anything decent on $20 million projects like Lair or Heavenly Sword when they bomb, or Ratchet, Uncharted, GT5P when they give it away for free?

Don't see MS needing to give away Crackdown or Mass Effect or Halo 3 or Gears (at least not until they had already sold millions). It seems odd for a company who touts their first party wares so much, no one seems compelled to buy them. And it gets worse, with Xbox nabbing all the multi-platform game sales, Sonys losing out on royalties.

If you want to talk just the 360 vs. the PS3 though, Microsofts going to make more money overall this gen, 5 million people coughing up $300 million annually (and growing exponentially) to play online, lions share of TP software sales,bigger & better 1st partyy game sales and bigger online marketplace even the RRoD write off won't change that.

3) Well thats only something the individual can answer, but it's all a race for next gen, to see who can set them selves up better this gen for next gen and that's important.

I would say it would be hitting 10,000,000 people on Xboxlive gold by the end of the year. I would put profits on that at $500,000,000 after about 100 million in expenses. Then you add the movies and XBLA. They would have made over 2 BILLION dollars just from Xbox Live by the time the nextbox comes out.

Tease.