By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony PLEASE give us the option to use external HDDs!!

Tagged games:

Agreed, I really hope Sony allows external HDD support soon.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Conina said:

For PS4: access to some games and demos not released for your own region. Sometimes better prices in other regions.

That's what I expected to hear.
Thing is you don't need to create multiple accounts on Xbox, since you can simply change the region of your console and then visit every Xbox store there is.
Or you could just use a browser. Any other benefit?

youre limited to how many times you can change your region on Xbox

Ruler said:
Barozi said:

Thing is you don't need to create multiple accounts on Xbox, since you can simply change the region of your console and then visit every Xbox store there is.

you are? Where is the limit? I changed the XBO region a few times when I wanted to play a game in English instead of German.

Wait, what? You can't use an external drive on PS4?

Ruler said:
Barozi said:

wrong. You can only change your ACCOUNT's region every three month, but there's absolutely no limit about how often you can change your CONSOLE's region.

To access different stores, you only need to change the console region or as I mentioned change the region of the xbox.com page on your browser.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Ruler said:

wrong. You can only change your ACCOUNT's region every three month, but there's absolutely no limit about how often you can change your CONSOLE's region.

To access different stores, you only need to change the console region or as I mentioned change the region of the xbox.com page on your browser.

great so if i change it to download something from Japan, USA i have to wait 3 months to acceess my german store on my console? You allready explained the problem here

Ruler said:
Barozi said:

great so if i change it to download something from Japan, USA i have to wait 3 months to acceess my german store on my console? You allready explained the problem here

read again. There is no problem.

Intrinsic said:
CosmicSex said:
Which would be faster theoretically: an external drive or real SATA 3 speeds from a HDD?

Technically speaking, if both drives are SATA 3, and both connectors supporr SATA 3 speeds (so at least USB 3 and a SATA 3 HDD interface) then the internal drive will be faster.

The reason the external drive is faster for the XB1 is because its internal drive uses a SATA 2 connector while the external drives connect via USB 3 (which has a higher bandwidth than SATA 2).

onionberry said:

wut, an external hdd it's just a hard drive, nothing different about the security

There is, as it stands all PlayStation games can only run from the encrypted internal drive or a bluray disc. Obviously sony has more control over that than whatever they could have over an external drive. 

Wait what? They have the same control over an internal as an external drive. Sony allows you to freely remove the internal drive as well as backup all your stuff on a USB drive. Piracy isn't the issue here as they can just encrypt their stuff like they already do with USB backups.

The only reason beside laziness and idiocy is performance. A lot of people will use cheap external drives which will have an impact on loading times, which will then reflect badly on the console.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Intrinsic said:

Technically speaking, if both drives are SATA 3, and both connectors supporr SATA 3 speeds (so at least USB 3 and a SATA 3 HDD interface) then the internal drive will be faster.

The reason the external drive is faster for the XB1 is because its internal drive uses a SATA 2 connector while the external drives connect via USB 3 (which has a higher bandwidth than SATA 2).

There is, as it stands all PlayStation games can only run from the encrypted internal drive or a bluray disc. Obviously sony has more control over that than whatever they could have over an external drive. 

Wait what? They have the same control over an internal as an external drive. Sony allows you to freely remove the internal drive as well as backup all your stuff on a USB drive. Piracy isn't the issue here as they can just encrypt their stuff like they already do with USB backups.

The only reason beside laziness and idiocy is performance. A lot of people will use cheap external drives which will have an impact on loading times, which will then reflect badly on the console.

They can kind of control that, too.

My smart phone (Droid Moto Z Force--it's amazing!) Has expandable memory. It says "only use _____ SD cards. Other cards will adversely effect performance."

Even back when Xbox 360 allowed Hard Drive use, plugged in a shitty 500gb hard drive that I had laying around. It instantly said that the Hard Drive was too slow.

As long as Sony sets a standard, everything should be fine. Hell, what's stopping people from using crappy internal HDDs?

d21lewis said:
vivster said:

They can kind of control that, too.

My smart phone (Droid Moto Z Force--it's amazing!) Has expandable memory. It says "only use _____ SD cards. Other cards will adversely effect performance."

Even back when Xbox 360 allowed Hard Drive use, plugged in a shitty 500gb hard drive that I had laying around. It instantly said that the Hard Drive was too slow.

As long as Sony sets a standard, everything should be fine. Hell, what's stopping people from using crappy internal HDDs?

Wait, there are still HDDs out there slower than the PS4 stock HDD? ;)