By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony PLEASE give us the option to use external HDDs!!

Tagged games:

Yes please, I've been out of space on my PS4 for months and at this point moving around or re-downloading that data is gonna be a pain in the ass if I were to switch out the internal drive :(

Around the Network
Conina said:
Hiku said:
Data reads through USB, even 3.0, is slower.

Data reads from my external XBO drive are faster than from the internal.

That's because USB3.0 is faster than SATA 2. The standard 5400rpm drive is slow as molasses but you pretty much max out the SATA 2.0 interface well before ever realizing the benefits of SSD (as in, SSD only offers small gains on ps4/xb1), which is why SATA3 support is a big deal for the ps4 pro. We will finally have the first console that can natively and fully take advantage of the speed that SATA3 brings.

Honestly Op, yes, we should be allowed the option for external storage, but microsofts solution is imperfect as well considering the internal drive on the xb1 can't be replaced nor was designed to be replaced by the consumer which means that the only option for more storage on xb is an external drive. This is a complete contrast to Sony, who doesn't allow external drive support, but does allow you to, by design, swap the internal drive out without voiding warranties or opening the ps4 shell up itself. 

I think a major factor as to why Sony has been slow to move on this has to do with security and piracy. The PS3 was pretty awesome as a media hub/emulator machine. Imagine what a console could do if it had the guts of a PC,like the ps4 does - they're probably nervous that users will find a way to forge software licenses and that a market of piracy comes to fruition if they start allowing us to use flash drives or external drives like that. Clearly MS has a different perspective, but they also have less to lose and more to gain with how the market is. (If they dropped external drive support, then x1 users would have NO way to increase storage).

No! Convenience and comfort is for PCs and not consoles.

Wait what?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hiku said:
I can understand why people want that. But I'd never use an external for my console. Data reads through USB, even 3.0, is slower. And the idea that if I disconnect it, it'd crash the game, even though I'd never do that, bugs me a bit. I want the system to have everything in a single box if possible.

But that's one of the things they certainly should enable. I also think they should let us store media files on the PS4, like with PS3.

I have an external usb3 hdd for my pc, full of games, higher everything and the performance is flawless. So i don't think more options for the ps4 would be bad 

Although its been popular to bash Wii U this gen, there are things that Wii U does better than PS4. One is me being able to hook up a 2TB external and never worry about download file sizes again, the other is the activity log. I like to know how long I have spent on games and applications.

Around the Network
lonerism said:
I can't believe that in 2016 we still can't use external HDD

This is ridiculous

This has nothung to do with the year or the hardware, its obviously a decision Sony has chosen to make. 

I think this has to do with piracy. I really can't think of any other reason why they don't allow the use of an external HDD.

But this would have been a really awesome feature tho,  with this I could settle for a 256GB internal SSD and then a 4TB USB drive and if possible just move the games I am currently playing onto the internal drive. Copying over USB 3 will be faster than redownloading stuff. 

But now I have to use a 512GB SSD for my pro (cause I can't justify buying a 1TB SSD for it). 

on the XB1, if using an external HDD is it possible to move data between it and the internal drive or the XB1 just sees it all as one drive?

Conina said:
Hiku said:
Data reads through USB, even 3.0, is slower.

Data reads from my external XBO drive are faster than from the internal.

+

USB 3.0 external is capable of faster speeds then a SATA2 interface, any harddrive on xbox one is faster, even 5400RPM once, because the operating system and external harddrive work seperate the external harddrive will use full speed and have no background operations.

Its proven that 7200RPM drives and SSD drives externally on xbox one are just monsters, the feature needs to come to ps4. its amazing.

In an ideal world xbox people would be able to replace their main harddrive (small SSD would be perfect) and ps4 would have external drive support (its a must to be honest, one of the big advantages of the XBOX OS)

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Intrinsic said:
lonerism said:

This is ridiculous

This has nothung to do with the year or the hardware, its obviously a decision Sony has chosen to make. 

I think this has to do with piracy. I really can't think of any other reason why they don't allow the use of an external HDD.

But this would have been a really awesome feature tho,  with this I could settle for a 256GB internal SSD and then a 4TB USB drive and if possible just move the games I am currently playing onto the internal drive. Copying over USB 3 will be faster than redownloading stuff. 

But now I have to use a 512GB SSD for my pro (cause I can't justify buying a 1TB SSD for it). 

on the XB1, if using an external HDD is it possible to move data between it and the internal drive or the XB1 just sees it all as one drive?

Yes you can transfer data from one to the other.

Intrinsic said:
lonerism said:

This is ridiculous

You can view things in multiple ways.

-Everything (all as one drive)

-internal only

-usb/external only

And you can move content back and forth whenever you want, as much as you want. Even when you're actually playing the game you want to transfer.

*Just looked at it* Apparently, they made a change since the last update. All I see is

"Internal: 90.5 GB of 364.9 GB Games & Apps" 75.1% used"

"External 1: 846 GB Free of 1.8 TV Games & Apps" 53.5% used"

In my game library, it says: "57.1% Used. All storage: 955.1 GB free"

--since it says "External 1", it makes me wonder, could I connect multiple USBs (External 2?)? Hmm...

Which would be faster theoretically: an external drive or real SATA 3 speeds from a HDD?