By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Clarifying the 4GB of RAM of the SWITCH for those who just see the numbers.

understood 53 61.63%

I don't want to understand 32 37.21%

Total:85
Wyrdness said:
Zkuq said:

It's still much, much slower to read from a cartridge than from RAM - just like everyone else has been telling you. You're essentially claiming you can replace RAM with using the cartridge for some operations, when in reality there's probably an almost nonexistent range of situations where that's the case.

Only one person actually answered my post out of the two who replied to me (so no everyone else haven't told me anything like you dreamt up) and it's not a claim like you imagined in your own little world it was an enquiry on whether it's possible.

Actually it was two, which is less than 'everyone' but more than one. Still, you got answers from two people and both of them told you the same thing. Also, you kind of didn't didn't formulate your enquiry as an enquiry, I think:

Wyrdness said:
For a cartridge based system I don't think you really need as much RAM when running game as the format itself acts like a solid state some what.

To me, this seems like a claim with a bit of uncertainty.

Around the Network

Switch is going to be under-powered compared to the PS4 and XB1 but nobody gives a fuck. Nintendo would be stupid to get into a pissing contest with PS4 and XB1. The console will sell on concept and Ninty games and there's a a similar buzz for the Switch similar to Wii. It could be huge!!!

What we shouldn't be doing is trying to make 4GB of RAM sound like it's on par with 8GB of Ram. Even if Switch uses 3GB for games and PS4 uses 4.5GB, that's 50% more RAM for PS4 games. And that's assuming that both use GDDR5.

Zkuq said:
Wyrdness said:

Only one person actually answered my post out of the two who replied to me (so no everyone else haven't told me anything like you dreamt up) and it's not a claim like you imagined in your own little world it was an enquiry on whether it's possible.

Actually it was two, which is less than 'everyone' but more than one. Still, you got answers from two people and both of them told you the same thing. Also, you kind of didn't didn't formulate your enquiry as an enquiry, I think:

Wyrdness said:
For a cartridge based system I don't think you really need as much RAM when running game as the format itself acts like a solid state some what.

Move on mate only one person answered  as he gave a contructive reason the other kept answering with questions that didn't answer the enquiry now we have you here saying nothing of any worth at all.

SWORDF1SH said:
Switch is going to be under-powered compared to the PS4 and XB1 but nobody gives a fuck. Nintendo would be stupid to get into a pissing contest with PS4 and XB1. The console will sell on concept and Ninty games and there's a a similar buzz for the Switch similar to Wii. It could be huge!!!

What we shouldn't be doing is trying to make 4GB of RAM sound like it's on par with 8GB of Ram. Even if Switch uses 3GB for games and PS4 uses 4.5GB, that's 50% more RAM for PS4 games. And that's assuming that both use GDDR5.

Yes, as long as Nintendo doesn't bleed money for each console sold they won't be in trouble, even if console sales are a disaster like WiiU's.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Not to mention the system is using cartridges...

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Zkuq said:

Move on mate only one person answered  as he gave a contructive reason the other kept answering with questions that didn't answer the enquiry now we have you here saying nothing of any worth at all.

If you accuse me of making up stuff, don't expect me to just swallow it. Anyway, here's the two answers since you seemed to miss one of them:

There are plenty of desktop gpu's out there that are 1080p cards with only 2 GB for vram so why can people not understand that this isn't the concern. As long as the system is extremely efficient in how it spools and processes information through that memory, that's the measuring stick here!

I expected to see more people wanting to know what the memory bandwidth is of this device more so than just how much RAM does it have...

Wyrdness said:
Zkuq said:

It's still much, much slower to read from a cartridge than from RAM - just like everyone else has been telling you. You're essentially claiming you can replace RAM with using the cartridge for some operations, when in reality there's probably an almost nonexistent range of situations where that's the case.

I feel Fatslob:O>  answers your question.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

It's all well and good to point out that 4GB RAM is not as bad as it sounds. But what that number does tell us is that Switch is a handheld that moonlights as a home console. Now if Nintendo had been open about this from the start, no one would be bothered. Peole would be saying, Wow, most powerful handheld eva! But Nintendo tried to play the "It's a genuine home console" card when it was pretty clear it is not a home console from the moment Nintendo confirmed the dock is just a power and TV out box.

Suggesting that likely max 3.5GB available RAM for games is going to give technically comparable games to PS4/Xb one is really just trying to continue the fiction that Switch is a home console.

Just let Switch be what it is. Nintendo recognising that its consistent success is in handhelds and that putting too much resource into home consoles is rather wasted.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Zkuq said:
Wyrdness said:

If you accuse me of making up stuff, don't expect me to just swallow it. Anyway, here's the two answers since you seemed to miss one of them:

This post is hilarious because it's like you're playing dumb as those are the two people I'm talking about, even one of the replies you've link had a response to it clarifying things as he misread the post, this is Donald Trump level of face palm. You'll have to swallow it and move along whether you like it or not.

Moderated - SC