By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Clarifying the 4GB of RAM of the SWITCH for those who just see the numbers.

understood 53 61.63%

I don't want to understand 32 37.21%

Total:85

This thread is getting way to many attention than it deserves. It's 40% speculation, 40% wishful thinking, and 20% fact. Even the OP said to wait for the details.

I can't comment on speculations, but I will say this. Looking at Nintendo's handheld track record, the NS as a handheld gaming device will be great, but I'm not convince it'll be as good as a home console as PSQuad or Xbox Uno. Look for example, just because some PS4 games can play on PS Vita, does not make the PS Vita on par with the PS4. So yeah; wait and see.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
David_Hernandeez said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
I hope Nintendos OS team has gotten better at optimization. The fact that the Wii Us barebones OS used 1GB of RAM was always shockingto me. You can run full on Linux distros with half that amount of RAM. Depending on its complexity the switchs OS better use a maximum of 768MB, preferably 512MB.

Oh god please, the Wii U OS is trash! Slow, lacks of many functions and multitasking, for a 1gb OS is really garbage, the X360 and Ps3 had like 512mb and 256mb for a much better OS.

Don't forget 512mb or 256mb were total memory for X360 or the separated system and video ram of X360 and PS3, system was bellow 50Mb of ram requirement.

Ck1x said:
mutantsushi said:

And those GPUs are paired with CPUs with access to 4-8GB of DDR RAM.  Such systems are pretty equivalent to Sony's set up on PS4.
A system with only 4 GB total RAM is a very far cry from that, don't kid yourself.  
Now, for Nintendo style games, maybe that's OK.  If people expect AAA 3rd party ports seen on MS/Sony/PC they will be disappointed.

No one was talking about system RAM we are discussing vRAM that the GPU's have access to for rendering graphics. People are focused on the sheer amount and whether it can do 1080p or not, when they should be only concerned with bandwidth at this point. Talking about system RAM is kind of pointless because we know that the Switch is games focused first and won't have a bloated OS to struggle through!

PS4 and X1 are focused on games and still get 2-3gb of ram for system function. And one of the complains of WiiU was the lack of those functionalities. So I don't think the OS will be much smaller than WiiU (1gb) and if they want the added functions it could even go to 2 gb, so since we don't know anything we can stop only trying to pick the best possible case and say Switch will have it all.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Conina said:
WagnerPaiva said:

My Xbox One can not play anything till it spend hours installing and then downloading some stupid patch, the same goes to the Ps4. A retail game installed 30GB of data in my HDD, I say this is bravo sierra, how come??? It is stupid and my 500GB HDD is full as we speak.

Then there is something wrong with your Xbox One and PS4.

Both my Xbox One and PS4 can play games while other games are installing or downloading in the background:

• The PS4 and Xbox One can play digital games while installing a retail game
  • The PS4 and Xbox One can play retail or digital games while downloading a digital game
  • The PS4 and Xbox One can play retail or digital games while downloading a patch

They do that too in my home, I was talking about the new game. Like, I bought Until Dawn and it installed 25GB of data from the blu-ray. What for??? Just play the disk, come on.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.